RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

North GA -Looking for orphan pups/foster pups, singleton due 5/10/20

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  championretrievers 
#1 ·
Hasn't this been a crazy year? Of course when I could actually use the money and have pups sold, my bitch decides to give me a singleton!

I read some of the previous threads on singletons and it gives me some hope that we could have a natural delivery, but are prepared for a C-section if needed, and the difficulties that can arise from a singleton.

Assuming all goes well and we get our pup on Mother's Day... I just wanted to put it out there that we would be happy to take in any orphaned pups if you are in our general area. (Ball Ground, GA which is about 60 min north of Atlanta).

I am also looking for anyone with a similar aged litter on the ground (don't care what breed) that would be open to having this pup stay/visit once we get to 3-4 weeks of age to help with socialization.

I've contacted the breeders I know, as well as the local repro vet to help in the search too.

If you can help, please let me know. I want to do right by this pup. I may be a DVM, but I know there are a lot of you on this board that have more experience then me whelping and raising pups so send us some good vibes for the weekend!

Thanks!

Lisa

See less See more
#2 ·
I have raised 3 singletons with no problems on mom. Monitor them to make sure they don't get too much milk and make them move around so they don't become swimmers. Once weaned I was able to integrate them with another litter of mine close in age. Some moms don't mind an extra pup and others may not like it so you have to be careful.. Just wanted you to know it can be done,

#3 ·
Well, we delivered a bouncing baby yellow girl by C-section on Sunday 5/10. She is very vigorous and happily moving around/over/under everything. Mom, however doesn't understand this weird alien we are making her hang out with, LOL. She will get in the box and let the pup nurse whenever I ask her to, and fortunately she is already bagged up with milk. She just doesn't want to clean the pup, or stay with it for more then an hour after nursing. We are using Adaptil spray, and I gave her a couple micro doses of oxytocin to try to enhance their bond.

I took a risk and put some peanut butter on the pup this morning and that got her interested enough to lick the pup and seemed to realize it was real and ok? We are closing in on 48 hours now and I am hoping some more maternal instinct keeps coming through. Interestingly she seems to be having Stage I labor today with panting, clingy-ness and nesting, so maybe her progesterone is finally dropping. Keeping my fingers crossed that her instincts keep coming in better as her homones are hopefully where we need them.

Thanks for the support!

If I have to clean and potty the pup for a few weeks that's ok, and I am grateful that she has milk and relaxes when the pup feeds. Any other tips?

#4 ·
Just want to say congratulations on the safe delivery of your littlest one and safe surgery for mama. Hopefully you can find a litter close by for 'social time' when little one is old enough.

My first time mama dog took a few days to sort out the cleaning up of her pups - I presented butts to her and wiped them with a wet/warm soft paint brush and then mama got the idea. now they are almost 8 weeks old and she still cleans up their messes (or tries, but I tell her not to)... hopefully in a day or two those instincts will kick in for your girl.

#5 ·
Have you tried giving her some extra calcium? Sometimes they get weird when calcium is low--I had one bitch keep moving her pups out of the whelping box onto the cold kennel floor until I got her calcium up. Then she happily left them in the box and cared for them.

Meredith

#6 ·
I would try one 750mg Tums or two 500 mg tums for the same reason twice a day for a couple of days for the same reason, it usually straightens out the problem
Tina

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.