DVDs
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach

Thread: DVDs

Default DVDs

I can remember watching a copy of Rex Carr and Dave Rorem vhs at the Manatoba Retriever club around 1995. It is my thought that this was the first commercially produced training video. A coupe years later TRT came out with Mike Lardy. Imo these tapes (later dvd format) increased our training knowledge 100 fold.
    Now for the question, Why did they give away their magic for such a paltry gain in income?
    "Do more than is required of you"
    General George S. Patton

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Because most are not capable of executing the timing or standard they teach. I'm glad they did though and Ill continue to try! I've got every video ybs has out and routinely view them.

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Little View Post
    I can remember watching a copy of Rex Carr and Dave Rorem vhs at the Manatoba Retriever club around 1995. It is my thought that this was the first commercially produced training video. A coupe years later TRT came out with Mike Lardy. Imo these tapes (later dvd format) increased our training knowledge 100 fold.
    Now for the question, Why did they give away their magic for such a paltry gain in income?
    It was not the first training video done. Unless there is one earlier, the Jim Kappes, with help from Wayne & Bruce Curtis, training video he did 9-22-90 to help pay for a clubs property would be the first.
    ROCK CHALK

What is Faith? It is the confident assurance that something we want is going to happen. It is the certainty that what we hope for is waiting for us, even though we cannot see it up ahead. ​HEBREWS 11:1

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Affordable or even free training material, combined with some modern marketing is what will secure the future of the sport. Are you a successful trialer who keeps all your secrets? Have fun playing with yourself in 10 or 20 years. As a "young" person interested in the sport I have found that there is a TOTAL lack of marketing and advertising when it comes to field trials and hunt tests. I realize that the knowledge you have took years of hard work to aquire but c'mon, let enough of it out there to get people rolling. I agree that the training videos and books are a great value, but the pros DEFINITELY leave out the secrets to problem solving and show us trained dogs and cookie cutter solutions.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Cross View Post
    Affordable or even free training material, combined with some modern marketing is what will secure the future of the sport. Are you a successful trialer who keeps all your secrets? Have fun playing with yourself in 10 or 20 years. As a "young" person interested in the sport I have found that there is a TOTAL lack of marketing and advertising when it comes to field trials and hunt tests. I realize that the knowledge you have took years of hard work to aquire but c'mon, let enough of it out there to get people rolling. I agree that the training videos and books are a great value, but the pros DEFINITELY leave out the secrets to problem solving and show us trained dogs and cookie cutter solutions.
    Phil, I have found just opposite to be true. I attended a seminar with Mike Lardy and Pat Burns, and both had no problem telling the audience how they would handle a specific problem. Mike had some very unique strategies, some that we had never heard of before, but was willing to share them. Locally, we have some very successful All Age amateur handlers, some have been National Finalists, and they will tell you everything they know, and will try and help you. Have you been following what Pat Burns is providing for the entire Retriever community on Facebook? Free webinars with Ray Voigt, Dr. Sara Love and Dr. J, Jim Van Egen, Mike Lardy, and Karl Gunzer. All those individuals want to help you be more successful, not hinder your efforts by leaving out helpful information.
    -Mike

It's all about the Benjamins.
    Field trials and Hunt test participants are a tiny fraction of the pet industry.

A few years ago I attended a Danny Farmer seminar. One of the attendees asked if he was afraid of giving his secrets away to us in attendance. He just chuckled and said no, (I'm paraphrasing now) that at some point in a trail we would make an amateurish mistake on a bird and he won't and that will be all the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Cross View Post
    Let me first say, there are no dog training secrets. There is only information someone has not known or experienced yet. The reason a pro can not explain how to fix a problem is a kin to explaining how to paint the Mona Lisa. They can send you the paint by numbers method ,but in order for you to paint the exact replication you would need to develop the art for your self. Willcot has it right. How many can take that info and develop it to its capacity without going through a lot of dogs.
    Pete
    The eye can not see what the mind does not know

Windjammer. Thats the stuff we need, especially newbies like me. Im not saying everyone is secretive but i have noticed it for sure. I will say there are a TON of super helpful retriever people. My statement my have been a little innacurate.