Best Way to Haul Wingers?
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Way to Haul Wingers?

Default Best Way to Haul Wingers?

I can either haul six wingers around in an enclosed trailer or the back of my van.
    The van is a smoother ride. Will a trailer be more likely to "loosen things"?
    Jim Boyer KwickLabsii.com

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

If you are referring to the nuts and bolts coming loose, that is from using them. Put lock nuts on all the bolts if they do not already have them. Loc-tite or doubling the nuts would work too.
    Last edited by drunkenpoacher; 05-23-2020 at 04:39 PM.
    "I'm thankful someone stood up to him, even if it was a woman." Franco 10/18/19

Speaking from many years of reorganizing and packing our retriever club's equipment trailer. The loosening things question is it depends on whom is pulling the trailer! If you have some helper person with a shiny new 4 by 4 and a lift kit that has no brush marks or scrapes on it. You can be fairly sure that trailer is going to be a mess. Conversely, some rural Feller with an agricultural background who is had to restock a load or two of hay in his youth we'll get that trailer where it needs to go without even spill in the open can of Mountain Dew left inside it. Don't want a paint to broadly with my stereotype brush but in this instance gosh darn it's true😎
    So, how do you drive?

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

I tree stand hauler on my four wheeler that can carry two or three that holds them fairly secure.

DL, do you have any pics of your set up?

Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth Niles Bora View Post
    Speaking from many years of reorganizing and packing our retriever club's equipment trailer. The loosening things question is it depends on whom is pulling the trailer! If you have some helper person with a shiny new 4 by 4 and a lift kit that has no brush marks or scrapes on it. You can be fairly sure that trailer is going to be a mess. Conversely, some rural Feller with an agricultural background who is had to restock a load or two of hay in his youth we'll get that trailer where it needs to go without even spill in the open can of Mountain Dew left inside it. Don't want a paint to broadly with my stereotype brush but in this instance gosh darn it's true
    So, how do you drive?

This^^^^^^!!!!! Growing up hauling hay, all types of livestock, odd heavy stuff, and driving nurse trucks to haul liquid fertilizer to the spreaders makes one appreciate taking it easy when towing a trailer, or hauling a HEAVY load. Poop can happen very fast when pushing/exceeding towing a hauling specs.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER

Joe Schimpf

HRCH UH River Joes Lil Supa Dupa-Dee.......500pt. club
    HR River Joes Lil Homeboy
    River Joes On Dee Tiger's Tail

"This^^^^^^!!!!! Growing up hauling hay, all types of livestock, odd heavy stuff, and driving nurse trucks to haul liquid fertilizer to
    the spreaders makes one appreciate taking it easy when towing a trailer, or hauling a HEAVY load. Poop can happen very fast when
    pushing/exceeding towing a hauling specs."

Well, all of that is interesting and maybe I need to list my past experience with hauling things. Hauled our race horses to and from |
    Chicago for ten years and done a bunch of truck loads of hay (without ever having dumped any), but none of that has any bearing on
    my original question. Working seven days a week is something most do not comprehend. I should have been more specific.

What kind of a rack or rig do you use to transport your wingers when training? Up until recently mine were hauled flat in the back of
    my van. Now that I have a UTV in an enclosed trailer, taking them individually in/out of the van (or trailer) seems like extra work. I
    would like to back out of the trailer with them already loaded on the UTV...not sure of this.

The winger racks I've seen are more for an ATV and hanging from something plugged into a trailer hitch or tight up behind the operator.
    The pro I trained with last year had his in a rack loaded on their side/edge right behind him.
    There is a rather substantial cargo bed/box on the back of most UTVs which might work well. Anybody with a UTV?

I saw several ATV racks where they could be hung. I was wondering more about hauling them flat (on a UTV).

edit: This thread sent me way back (43 years).

Last edited by KwickLabs; 05-24-2020 at 10:13 PM.
    Jim Boyer KwickLabsii.com

Cool photos!

How about a bicycle carrier that carries them on the back of a SUV. Can that be configured to the back of a UTV?
    Nate Baxter, DVM
    Clarksville, OH

I would think that as long as they are held secure; it doesn't matter how they're transported...................trailer or truck..............vertical or horizontal. Bungee straps are your friend!!
    NRA LIFE MEMBER

Joe Schimpf

HRCH UH River Joes Lil Supa Dupa-Dee.......500pt. club
    HR River Joes Lil Homeboy
    River Joes On Dee Tiger's Tail