The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Peppy Le Pew! GDG GDG GDG!!

Default Peppy Le Pew! GDG GDG GDG!!

Peppy Le Pew!
    I have a very good friend who lurks here quite often.. He has a new problem.. Skunks! His dog has already been sprayed once.. I guess it tried to play with the kitty!! J
    I figgered since all you experts pelt collectors here,, prolyl have walls and walls of their pelts tied on shoelaces, with the corresponding ribbon decorating the top of the string,, you could mebe give him some advice.
    He has started watching videos of trapping them,, and Carefully covering the trap with a sheet,, and then driving them to a different county in Saudi arabia! Turning them loose, with no underwear or water in the desert!! (Ok,, I exaggerated a bit..) I mean the skunk wont have underwear or water.. He willa course,, but if it was ME,, I prolyl wouldn’t because of the tanning opportunity of the desert,,and the pyramids,, mebe I would take a speedo,, but prolly not.. ANYWAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!

I doubt very much I would ever try such a foolish task,, but then Its ME,,and you kinda know me.. something would go wrong..

I doubt he is very steady on his feet,, and I bet he cant keep his truck on a dirt raod to save his life,, those are the obvious..

So,, how do you Pelt collecters deal with smelly Peppy if ya want to get rid of them, without stinkin up the whole county??

I kinda like the skunk smell in the distance, on a warm spring night.. Kinda romantically reminds me a HOME!!
    Gooser
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    HRCH FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet MH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

I have shot many skunks in my life and I think everyone of them sprayed when shot but none ever did it again.
    "I'm thankful someone stood up to him, even if it was a woman." Franco 10/18/19

He is an excellent rifleman..!!

Happy ,,Memorial Day!! (with respect)

Gooser
    Last edited by MooseGooser; 05-25-2020 at 09:15 AM.
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Thank you both. I needed a good laugh today. Yes it’s Memorial Day and we can think of our buddies.
    Gentle in what you do. Firm in how you do it.

CH SILVERCREEK MURRAY SAMUEL (MURRAY) WDQ CGC MH, QAA2 2/16/00 - 12/26/12
    WESTWIND WHISPERING COVE (LARRY son of Murray) WDQ MH, QAA2 8/5/05-3/20/18
    LPK DELAWARE RIVER WHISPERING COVE, WDQ, QAA2, MH (SAVAGE SAM son of FC Chester MH)
    WESTWIND WHISPERING COVE JAY QAA, MH (Larry's son and Murray's grandson)

I only have a "Bug-a Salt" rifle.. prolly not the best..

Using a tube-type trap and dry cat food, canned tuna, or something similar for bait will catch them. In the tube, they can't raise their tails thus they can't spray. You might have to cut some view ports in the tube so you know you have a skunk and not a cat. They usually have a clip you can use to lock the door closed once the skunk is captured.

Then, you have a choice. The traps usually have a handle to which you can tie a rope. My arrangement is if they can hold their breath for 20 minutes underwater, I'll let them out. Or, you can tie a string to the door, take them into town to your favorite councilman's front yard, and open the door from a distance (just kidding, but a long way from where you've trapped them). Check local game and fish laws, but most tend to ignore skunk trapping.

In my limited but successful experience, the best traps look like this. Some are a lot more heavy duty, even metal with springs on the doors, but this shape is effective and spray proof.

Chuck

Be aware, a skunk certainly can spray with out raising it's tail. What you count on with the skunk in an enclosed area is that they don't want to spray.

Quote Originally Posted by Norwester View Post
    Be aware, a skunk certainly can spray with out raising it's tail. What you count on with the skunk in an enclosed area is that they don't want to spray.
    Not in my experience - at least not in one of the tube traps.
    Chuck

You guys are the best LOL
    Gentle in what you do. Firm in how you do it.

CH SILVERCREEK MURRAY SAMUEL (MURRAY) WDQ CGC MH, QAA2 2/16/00 - 12/26/12
    WESTWIND WHISPERING COVE (LARRY son of Murray) WDQ MH, QAA2 8/5/05-3/20/18
    LPK DELAWARE RIVER WHISPERING COVE, WDQ, QAA2, MH (SAVAGE SAM son of FC Chester MH)
    WESTWIND WHISPERING COVE JAY QAA, MH (Larry's son and Murray's grandson)

Every year he skunks mated in the pasture just west of the farm house. Our farm dogs
    made it a point to get properly perfumed. No one considered the smell of skunk to be that
    offensive, civet cats were another ball game.

More than 1 of the locals made enough money trapping to get themselves a head start in
    farming with a solid trap line. 2 brothers in our HS never made it to the day trapping season
    opened. They would show the following day smelling slightly skunky & their Model A pickups
    would be fairly whiffy for a while. It was to be expected as they hit every culvert they could
    find & would usually end u with over 200 pelts. They used a bamboo cane pole with barbed wire
    & would run it into the culvert, entangle the skunk & pull them out. The local girls liked to date
    them as they had money, which was in short supply.

I shot one with a .22 that weighed about 10 pounds & the pelt sold for $5.00 which was more
    than a days wages in those days.

We lived with the skunks as they were a revenue source. The limit on pheasants in those days
    was 7/day with up to 2 hens & an out of stater could haul 7 days limit out of the state. Limit
    today is 3 roosters & 5 days worth out of the state.

You can figure out which way seemed to be best for wildlife & the hunters.
    Last edited by Marvin S; 05-25-2020 at 11:43 AM.

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

The world is a dangerous place to live. Not because of those who are evil, but because of those who
    choose to do nothing about that! Einstein