Initial Lines
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Initial Lines

Default Initial Lines

Does anyone have any drills of sort for improving initial lines while running cold blinds in the field? We have developed this issue in the past couple weeks, bad initial line then cast very well to the blind stake. FWIW, this is an almost 3 year old dog that does MH/QAA work relatively well.
    Jake McNeese

"If you ain't first, you're last" - Ricky Bobby

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Lining wagon wheel, start with 8, if you get proficient go to 16, if you are brave alternate white and orange bumpers

Quote Originally Posted by EdA View Post
    Lining wagon wheel, start with 8, if you get proficient go to 16, if you are brave alternate white and orange bumpers
    Dr. Ed, no issues with wagon wheel as it is black and white to her. Only arises in the field on cold blinds.
    Jake McNeese

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Jake McNeese View Post
    Dr. Ed, no issues with wagon wheel as it is black and white to her. Only arises in the field on cold blinds.
    I see you said the dog has no issues with wagon wheel, and I believe you. However, if you have Facebook account, go watch the interview and discussion Pat Burns did a couple weeks ago about Wagon Wheel. It’s on his page “Pat Burns Elite Retriever Training”

While it might not help the situation your dog is dealing with, I think you will like it.

Quote Originally Posted by birddogn_tc View Post

I see you said the dog has no issues with wagon wheel, and I believe you. However, if you have Facebook account, go watch the interview and discussion Pat Burns did a couple weeks ago about Wagon Wheel. It’s on his page “Pat Burns Elite Retriever Training”

While it might not help the situation your dog is dealing with, I think you will like it.
    Thanks. I will check it out.
    Jake McNeese

Does the dog look in the right place but veer off when leaving the line? Or, does it not really lock in before you send it?

Walking random simple blinds (6-10/session)no more than 20-30 yds starting in a featureless field with the goal of not needing to handle. It requires the handler to pay strict attention to the dog's head,eyes and focus to provide the dog with almost instant reward and confidence.

Tim
    You order a Lab; ask a Golden; but negotiate with a Chesapeake!

Quote Originally Posted by Sabireley View Post
    Does the dog look in the right place but veer off when leaving the line? Or, does it not really lock in before you send it?
    I feel like I have lined up correctly and looking out
    Jake McNeese

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Carrion View Post
    Walking random simple blinds (6-10/session)no more than 20-30 yds starting in a featureless field with the goal of not needing to handle. It requires the handler to pay strict attention to the dog's head,eyes and focus to provide the dog with almost instant reward and confidence.

Tim
    Tim, I don’t think it’s a confidence issue because after I kick her off and I correct her line she has good momentum and takes correct casts to the destination.
    Jake McNeese

Do multiple blinds in the same session, at least 5. Pick them up 1,3,5,2,4. Then repeat in a different order, no recall just precision handling. Same concept as lining wagon wheel on a much larger scale.