Confederacy
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Confederacy

Default Confederacy

With the reignited movement to remove confederate flags and statues and names, et cetera, I'm hoping one of you guys can tell me why you want to keep them. I have a tendency to be sarcastic, but please know this is a genuine question.

My great grandparents came to the United States from Norway and Germany in the late 1800's, about twenty years after the Civil War. They originally landed in Minnesota, (recognized the lack of quality pheasant habitat) and moved to homestead in South Dakota.

I'm trying to portray my culture in an accurate context and as a perfect example of not having ties to the Union or confederacy, I grew up viewing the confederacy as something not to be proud of. Sure, it isn't hard to see that there were good people who were born into a circumstance (as are all of us), did a lot of things in their life aside from war, but ultimately believed something strongly enough to fight other men to the death for it. And in that fight, they lost. And, yes, it was a fight over state's rights. A state's right to allow some humans to own other humans.

All that to say, why is it important to keep the confederate flag and statues?
    Lucas Nogelmeier
    Don't train to get it right, train to never get it wrong

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

People down in Georgia come from near and far to hear Richard Betts pickin' on that red guitar!

https://youtu.be/tEKMED-_2QQ
    john mccallie

cornbread and ice tea 's took the place of pills and 90 proof

Who needs him around anyhow?

https://youtu.be/6GxWmSVv-cY
    john mccallie

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Keeping in mind pheasants were introduced in Sodak in 1908, they should’ve of moved to Oregon.

Quote Originally Posted by nogie1717 View Post
    With the reignited movement to remove confederate flags and statues and names, et cetera, I'm hoping one of you guys can tell me why you want to keep them. I have a tendency to be sarcastic, but please know this is a genuine question.

My great grandparents came to the United States from Norway and Germany in the late 1800's, about twenty years after the Civil War. They originally landed in Minnesota, (recognized the lack of quality pheasant habitat) and moved to homestead in South Dakota.

I'm trying to portray my culture in an accurate context and as a perfect example of not having ties to the Union or confederacy, I grew up viewing the confederacy as something not to be proud of. Sure, it isn't hard to see that there were good people who were born into a circumstance (as are all of us), did a lot of things in their life aside from war, but ultimately believed something strongly enough to fight other men to the death for it. And in that fight, they lost. And, yes, it was a fight over state's rights. A state's right to allow some humans to own other humans.

All that to say, why is it important to keep the confederate flag and statues?
    Nothing more than a participation trophy..

I was born in the back seat of a Greyhound bus rollin' down highway 41........the best part of ol' 41starts at the Kentucky/Tennessee line and goes south.

https://youtu.be/jUTORC4eoGc
    john mccallie

Quote Originally Posted by seaandland View Post
    Nothing more than a participation trophy..
    I believe NASCAR uses it for second place.

I grew up in Southern Calif...but I spent a semester of high school in Austin TX along with every summer there from the age of 12 -17, I vividly remember my US History classes because they were one of my favorite subjects, when I learned about Texas state history I felt like someone had thrown me a huge disservice by not telling me the other side of the Civil War history...I went to John H Reagan HS in Austin and as I alluded to in another post Reagan was a big hero of the Confederate south with schools named after him in Austin and Houston along with statues at the capitol....

You cant tell US History accurately without admitting that the Civil War happened, and that it was about more than slavery, which is the way most history books are written. the counties in TX are named after people who are noteworthy in Texas history, either having died at the Alamo, San Jacinto or the Civil War..

You remove the Confederate flag, then you have to remove the Iranian flag, the Mexico flag, the Union Jack and basically every non state flag, but you won't see that done because of the First Amendment..I dont like it when people burn the American flag or desecrate it in any way, but I have to allow it because of 1A...why is the Confederate flag not afforded the same liberties ?
    Executor of the Alanson C Brown III - Trust

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

If i let you see this place where stories all ring true,
    Will you let me past your to see what's reall you?

https://youtu.be/8EgbYwR7erQ
    john mccallie

Find some old text books from former Confederate states, you would be surprised at how different some of the history was taught. It was very eye opening to me when my eight grade teacher brought some in. There was a whole lot more going on than just slavery.