We get a vaccine faster with higher rates of infection.
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: We get a vaccine faster with higher rates of infection.

Default We get a vaccine faster with higher rates of infection.

I am looking for any silver lining and like things that aren’t the way you would think they arre. Anyway .... the duration of Stage 3 trials is dependent on how long it takes for members of a sample to hit an infection number. At this point, stage 3 is about to happen. So, with more infection, we get a vaccine faster and defeat the virus in a shorter period of time.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by DL View Post
    I am looking for any silver lining and like things that aren’t the way you would think they arre. Anyway .... the duration of Stage 3 trials is dependent on how long it takes for members of a sample to hit an infection number. At this point, stage 3 is about to happen. So, with more infection, we get a vaccine faster and defeat the virus in a shorter period of time.
    Not sure I fully understand your statement(hopes). There is a hope that the antibodies of those that have been infected, will produce a vaccine. There is no guarantee that this will result. The fact is tha there could be a very long time if ever before a vaccine can be developed. The classic example is that there has yet been a vaccine for HIV.

The Efficacy Stage 3 of trials for at least one vaccine starts in July. The duration is dependent on how long it takes for the control group to hit a number of infections or illness or whatever. That could be six months, one month or theoretically never. A higher infection rate shortens the duration of an efficacy trial. And yes, I am talking about something I don’t know about but I do read fairly well.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Granted, the efficacy trial can be done outside of the country, but I am pointing out something that is interesting at least to me based on possible mathematics.

The same article that I am getting my information stated why it is hard to develop an HIV vaccine. It said the body has a hard time defeating HIV. No one beats it on there on. Lots of people beat Covid on there on.

This is good one hope for good

There are many research centres developing "vaccines" against COVID. I've used inverted commas because some of the techniques being used are heavily reliant on genetic manipulation of the virus, a thing that didn't happen in days gone by.

Its quite possible, even likely, that a good proportion of these attempts will be dry holes, but the multiple approach gives a greater chance that some will be useful. Long may they all prosper. The one I know a bit about, the Oxford / Jenner, is actually in production and being stockpiled against the day when testing for efficacy is complete; safety it seems has already been assured. The lady running the show said some months ago that there was an 80% chance of having a functional shot by September, but the decrease in the infection rate following lockdown puts that in jeopardy.

There is a problem in testing when the ethical rules are followed; what is normally done is to give the working vaccine and a placebo to equal numbers of volunteers and let them loose. In a declining infection environment it's obviously going to take a longer time to get valid statistics. In an attempt to speed the gathering of efficacy data, volunteers are being recruited from those who have a higher chance of being exposed such as frontline health workers, frontline support staff and public facing key workers. Also some is being trialled in other countries, notably Brazil.

The group say they are somewhere between Phase 2 and 3; some thousands have already been jabbed.

All along I've hoped that a well conducted lockdown followed by a bullet proof track, trace, isolate, regime would be the way forward; so I hoped for a successful vaccine but didn't think to rely on it. In UK our feckless, witless, hapless, incompetent administration led by a buffoon who laughingly exposed himself to the virus as a matter of bravado, then caught COVID and nearly died, has failed to give us anything other than the worlds highest death rate, and a tracing set up that collapsed within days and is now defunct. All I can say in my own defence is that I didn't vote for the big Richard in the recent election ... I knew he was a blustering, lying, know-nothing prat.

So I'm forced to rely on a vaccine, a place I don't want to be.
    Last edited by Colonel Blimp; 06-23-2020 at 09:46 AM.
    Thank you, very kind, Mine's a pint.

In the USA there has been a massive increase in TESTING everyone possible to see if they have the virus. Then when they start finding more new cases, because of more testing, the start reporting a sharp increase in cases! The media now is suggesting a second wave of the virus in some areas. When in reality it is increasing because of all the increases in testing. Supporting this is the fact that overall in the USA hospital admissions (Covid related) and deaths are trend down nicely...

Again, if we as a society, accept these false trends and don't think through what we read and hear regarding this flu virus, we will get to experience another 'shut down' including all mail in ballots for the upcoming election!

DON'T DRINK THE KOOL AID!

I know, fake news. It's a giant conspiracy to take President Trump down......
    there's no good reason to fatten up a retriever.

It seems to me that there is not an easy way to know an up to date nationwide hospitalization number. To me it is a little irrelevant because it can be determined on a state level and you can look at the states with increasing cases.