RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

What decision will you make?

5K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  rboudet 
#1 ·
You are judging an all age stake. You and your co judge give verbal instructions to the willing and excited participants before the test dog that all dogs will be sent from the mat for all marks. Obviously there handlers that don't make the instructions meeting. But, you as a judge have already thought about that situation and placed a note attached to the holding blind indicating these instructions.
Sure enough a handler allows his dog to be sent from off the mat. What action , if any do you take as a judge ?

#10 ·
I would not have given those instructions.
I agree, never dig yourself a hole unless you plan to occupy it. The “mat” has been elevated to a position of importance it does not deserve, it is merely the designation of the line. I used two pieces of survey tape wrapped around a rock or a stick set 3-4 feet apart for many years and revert back to it from time to time.

#9 ·
Holding blind instructions for a trial that Terry Rotschafer and I judged read as follows:

DOW is ___ . Rotation will be ___ - ___ - ___ - ___. If for some reason we need a 5th series, dog ___ will start. (53/4 = 13.25)

If a test is scrapped and the new test is run the same day as the scrapped test, the next dog in order will start the new test. If a test is scrapped and the new test begins the next day, the dog that started the scrapped test will start the new test.

No dog will start first in more than one series (scrapped series are not included).

Handler on mat when sending for marks. Dog on the mat when sending for blinds.

If no bird on flyer, come back after 3 dogs have run. If no bird on dead bird, come right back to line. Two no birds, go to the end of the line.

Good Luck!

Terry, Ted

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I remind handlers if they forget the instructions. I have not dropped anyone yet for failure to comply. I have had some handlers test me saying "What if I don't put my foot on the mat?" to which I respond "I guess we'll find out."

#11 ·
No one has mentioned the rules...

TRIAL PROCEDURE P.28...
"6. When coming to line to be tested, and while on line,
the dog and handler should assume such positions as
may be directed by the Judges."

IMO the use of the word 'should' rather than 'shall' provides judges some discretion in the matter to decide what, if any, penalty to apply.

Personally, I would hesitate to drop a dog who was not sent from the mat unless I had reason to believe the act was intentional. It is absolutely appropriate to remind contestants of the judges instructions, but I would not have issued those instructions to begin with either.

#12 ·
Even though I will never run a field trial, I love reading these rules discussions.

Here is my question about running from a mat: Are the mats always the same size at each trial? What is that size?

Asking because if the mat was say 18 inches wide but 3 feet long that would seem to be beneficial to a creeper. The creeper could creep out a bit and still be on the mat. If the mat was really wide, that might benefit a dog who isn't precise in heeling.

So what size are these mats and are they always made of the same material?

#14 ·
Why would a judge feel compelled to issue such instructions? Why is it important too you that the dog (which brings another question, what constitutes "sent from the mat" all four paws, back two, front two, etc) be sent from the mat? I understand the often used instructions, handler on mat for marks, dog on mat for blinds. That makes sense. I don't like doing it but I understand the reasoning. What if dog backs up while marks are going off and is now behind the mat or just front paws. Do you drop that dog?

Seems like a lot of extra stuff to worry about to find a winner or worse to lose good dogs that never get to pick up a bird.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.