RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

A Dog Can Be Required to Honor Before Running the Test?

4K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Hunt'EmUp 
#1 ·
Hi All,

While looking up something else, I happened to read this in the rule book:

Until called to be tested, a dog shall be kept whereit cannot see the location of a fall for another dog, orsee the planting or retrieve of a blind, unless such bein compliance with instructions of the Judges as in ahunting situation in which the dog is required to honor before being run.

Does this mean judges could set up a test which requires each dog to honor another before the dog actually does any retrieving work? Or am I interpreting this wrong?

#4 ·
It's becoming common in FT's since the rule change that Honor's are required. Heat, dog numbers, pro numbers, distance to other stakes etc etc make a regular honor after a triple or quad difficult logistically, so they are doing it with a blind. Throw a mark, honor dog gets it, working dog runs the blind.

#5 ·
I must not be following your explanation of this setup.. Does the working dog run the blind with the mark as a poison bird and then the honor dog picks up the mark?

#7 ·
AKC Hunt Test rules require that all marks and diversion birds are to be retrieved by the working dog.

From pages 26 and 27 of the regulations:

"Diversion birds may appear on a blind retrieve either after the dog has been sent for, or when a dog is returning from the blind retrieve; however, diversion birds shall only appear on marks when the dog is returning from a retrieve. Diversion birds shall always be initiated in front of the working dog. The diversion bird is not a mark but constitutes a trainability situation. It is always retrieved by the working dog. Diversion birds shall be shot or thrown when the working dog is in a location that it should be able to see the bird as it goes up into the air and as it falls."

While Judges could set up a test such as you describe, It would add a 4th hunting situation (series) as the single mark would not satisfy the requirements of at least 2 triples and an additional multiple retrieve. It Could be a double, I suppose. All it would really add is complexity to the mechanics of the test. -Paul

#10 ·
Do the rules not mention somewhere that an honor must be of multiple marks ? If so the above does not meet that criteria. I was told by a very experienced FTer that that was the case. I have not looked it up myself.

#11 · (Edited)
AKC Requires a marked Fall or Falls. Someone told me HRC require multiple marks, but havent been able to find such in online rulebook.

Section 6. Honoring. In Senior and Master Tests, every dog shall honor in at least one hunting situation involving the retrieve of a marked fall(s) by remaining on the line off-lead while the working dog retrieves, unless otherwise directed or until dismissed by the Judges.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.