Rule Book Change - Marking the Blind
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach

Thread: Rule Book Change - Marking the Blind

Default Rule Book Change - Marking the Blind

Just received this today

This is to inform your club of a recent change to the Field Trial Rules and Standard Procedures forRetrievers effective March 2, 2020. This change originated from the Retriever Field Trial AdvisoryCommittee and was approved by the AKC Board of Directors.

This change requires that when setting up a blind retrieve, the blind should be clearly marked with aconspicuous object, so it is visible to the handler.

The exact wording of this change is underlined and will appear in the next printing of the rules as follows:

Supplement to The Standard Procedure. Part I – Trial Procedure. Paragraph 8.

On “blind” retrieves, whenever possible, the Judges should plan their tests in such a way that theytake advantage of natural hazards, such as islands, points of land, sand bars, ditches, hedges, small bushes,adjacent heavy cover, and rolling terrain. Despite such natural distractions, it should be possible, at least intheory, for a dog to “find” a well-planned blind-retrieve on the initial line from his handler; that he will doso is highly improbable because of those natural hazards, so he must be handled to the “blind.”Nevertheless, the test should be so planned that the dog should be “in-sight” continuously. To further theprior principle, the blind must be clearly marked with a conspicuous object. A blind retrieve is a testof control, and a dog which is out of sight for a considerable period cannot be said to be under control.Utilizing natural hazards should obviate the need for Judges issuing special instructions about the manner ofcompleting a blind retrieve, other than to “get the meat” by the shortest, fastest, or most direct route.
    Competition does not build character - It reveals it.

Home of:
    FC/AFC Freeridin Wowie Zowie (2003 NARC Finalist)
    FC/AFC Sky Hy Husker Power
    FC/AFC Freeridin Smooth Operator
    FC/AFC Freeridin Vampire Slayer (2007 NARC Finalist)
    AFC Freeridin Maserati (Double Header Winner)
    FC/AFC Freeridin Miss Kitty (2017 High Point Yellow Lab Bitch)

www.freeridinretrievers.com

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Now we can all debate about what is conspicuous, what is obvious and what is imperceptible.
    "I'm thankful someone stood up to him, even if it was a woman." Franco 10/18/19

"I'm thankful someone stood up to him, even if it was a woman." Franco 10/18/19

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

I received that yesterday, as well. I think it's a good addition to the regulations. It will benefit all handlers and dogs. -Paul
    there's no good reason to fatten up a retriever.

Quote Originally Posted by drunkenpoacher View Post

SO FUNNY! Love this.