Finished test
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach

Thread: Finished test

Default Finished test

Can someone tell me exactly what the judges are looking for in a finished test Blind. I've heard challenge the line or the blind. I've heard finished Judges don't like angle backs. They prefer overs and backs. When you do and over should you cross the line? Also is it best to sit your dog next to the bird to show control? Any help and advice would be appreciated!
    Last edited by Julie Rihn; 09-01-2020 at 06:29 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Challenge the line to the blind. The judges are looking for the dog to be under control(sits promptly on the whistle, takes casts as given), handle all the way to the blind(ie: don't let them hunt). The judges are definitely not looking for overs. When you stop the dog, give the cast to take them to the blind. If you're having to give an over, you're usually in trouble.
    HRCH Laney's Chocolate Roux MH QAA
    HRCH Full Steam Coaltrain RIP

One of the terms that came up a lot at the judges seminar I attended was "recovery". If your dog gets in trouble, can you and the dog recover? For example, say you have a down the shore blind. The dog bails and gets out. You promptly stop them (on land), and cast them back into the water, and back on line to the bird. That is recovery.

Don't worry about angle backs, overs or straight backs at a test. Give the cast that gets you to the bird. The judges are watching your dog make (or not) progress to the bird. If the dog makes progress, good. If not, bad. I never had a judge criticize my cast, just the work that my dog did.
    -Mike

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

got to be careful scoring "overs". Some people still use traditional casting, and an over designed to get the dog back to the line should be considered as improving the line. I wont score it as a cast refusal. This assumes the dog is in recoverable territory to begin with. A handler using an over to bring the dog back from the adjacent zip code is likely out before he or she got around to giving the over cast
    HRCH Red Devil's Chances R MH WCX**
    HRCH Wind River's Frisky Whisky SH WCX
    HRCH UH Red Devil's Risky Rascal WCX

If you could download a copy of the judges seminar (old one) there is a slide dedicated to this. Basically HRC judges; judge progress to the blind or progress to the line of the blind. So you have 2 options if you are casting towards the blind you very well might use 45's; there is nothing in HRC that discourages there use. The other option is to cast toward the line of the blind, this can be accomplished with only overs and backs. Judges grade improvement; staying with-in a corridor and team work. A good HRC blind should be challenging but should also have room for recovery, if the dog get out of corridor also discussed in the seminar. Cast refusals, whistle refusals are the same in all venues
    "They's Just DAWGS"; "I train dogs, Not papers"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned; early or late it still needs to be learned"

GMHR HRCH Lakota MH (Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Storm MH (Upland/ Waterfowl Enthusiast)
    HR Banshi (problem child #3) - HR Trap (male-chocolate he's "special")