Increased entry fees when late entry on HRC hunt test
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Increased entry fees when late entry on HRC hunt test

Default Increased entry fees when late entry on HRC hunt test

I read on a premium that an HRC club is charging an additional $10, per day, to any handler/or per dog who doesn't register by a certain date. I was told this is a common practice with some HRC clubs, by the clubs President himself, although he stated he didn't agree with the practice.
    It's news to me. Wouldn't you think that would discourage walk-ins, in addition to pro's adding dogs because others have scratched? Or would they be exempt? I found the additional charge confusing. How unwelcome it would make a last minute handler feel. With today's gas prices, and the overall expense of motels, and meals. they are shooting themselves in the foot, literally.

Anne
    Last edited by tenbears; 05-02-2008 at 12:09 PM.
    Ten Bear Labs ([email protected])

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

I think that's the idea, discourage all the walk ups and encourage eariler registration, so you don't plan for 10 started dogs and end up with 50 the day of.

Why would you want to discourage last minute entries?
    A

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Number of birds needed???

Planning help and birds can be tough.

half way between Cat Springs and Raccoon Bend - Texas

Have you ever had to plan and prepare for a hunt test? or any event for that matter.

There are things that have to be purchased prior to the event. Food for instance. If I plan for lunch 200 people and only 100 show up, I have wasted a lot of money...if I plan for 100 and 200 show up, a bunch of people are not going to be happy.

There are a lot of other items that clubs have to plan for ahead of time, birds, popper rounds, ribbons, porto-potties....Plus wear and tear on your volunteer HT Secretary who has to prepare all those point receipts.

Instead of looking at it as an extra charge for signing up late, why not look at it as getting a $10 discount for signing up early?
    Last edited by Lady Duck Hunter; 05-02-2008 at 12:33 PM.
    When it stops being fun, I will find something else to do with my time and money.

The Lady

We started charging the extra fee this year for Finished and Seasoned only Started is still able to do walk ups. People need to understand that walk ups make everyones day that is on the Hunt committee a lot tougher. Extra paperwork, birds, help, and unless you can honestly say you have stepped up to the plate and done it then please help offer constructive suggestions and not the other.....

I personally am having a hard time with the added entry fees more then anything, do clubs really feel the need to charge that much for a test? I would think holding the price and giving up a little would be a better way to encourage people to travel. $75.00 for master is nuts, IMHO.
    Margo Ellis

“Any woman who does not thoroughly enjoy tramping across the country on a clear, frosty morning with a good gun and a pair of dogs does not know how to enjoy life.” ~ Annie Oakley
    ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>¸.
    ·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>

In All Thy Ways Acknowledge Him And He Shall Direct Thy Paths. Proverbs 3:6

I'm all for it except in the started class. As last years Hunt Test Secretary for our HRC club and as this years president I think it is a great idea. If you've never been a hunt test chairman or a HT secretary you have no idea how much work is involved. Of course we'd never turn down walk-ups but at least half our entries last year came in AFTER the cut off date. We never know how much food to order, birds to order, poppers, and bird boys. I'd love to see us go to an AKC format that after the date is closed that's it but that's not going to happen with HRC. It would make the job of the organizers so much easier.

todd

Quote Originally Posted by tenbears View Post
    Why would you want to discourage last minute entries?
    A
    Sorry for sounding 'mean-spirited', Anne, BUT...have yopu ever tried to walk up to an AKC test??? and get in?

Granted that is one of the perks in the HRC game, but far too frequently, especially recently, it is being abused. More and more, we are seeing handlers unwilling to make a committment until the last minute, when it's 'convenient', and they have nothing better to do.

This really happens a lot this time of the year. Folks don't enter in advance, waiting to see what the weather will be like, and if they still have enough gas money etc.

Agreed, it's not clear how charging $10 extra can resolve the situation. If you have too little food on hand, or lacking bird numbers, added entry fees seldom cure that situation. It's just a way of DIScouraging walk ups, and ENCOURAGING early entries. This will also get you into that clubs program.

The original purpose of "walk-ups" was for a special reason, but has gotten to be a crutch for the lazy and disrespectful.

Hope you will look at it through the eyes of the various host clubs and their volunteer help, rather than someone being penalized on purpose.

UB
    When the one you love becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure.

Yes, I have planned and put on hunt tests. We always ordered extra birds. I welcomed all the started and seasoned dogs we could legally take. That is where you make the club makes the easy money, not in finished.
    My question has still not been answered. Are there HRC clubs out there that penalizes for late entries, and is it a common practice? I would perfer not to have a rude response.
    Thank you,
    Anne