Pay It Forward
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach

Thread: Pay It Forward

Default Pay It Forward

For those of you who saw the video of Ricochet---the surfing dog who helped raise funds for Patrick so he could learn to walk again, go to www.surfdogricochet and see Ricki's new project. Once on the web site go to "Pay It Forward".

Ricki is a two year old sired by an FC/AFC/MH. She is making a contribution to society. If any of you have ever spent much time working with those who aren't as fortunate as most of us are, you know how greatly dogs can help as service dogs, guide dogs, and therapy dogs. Retrievers are especially good it this.

Pay It Forward.

Glenda

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Done-we signed up last week for therapy dogs. Ruckus is going into the nursing homes in my community to visit the residents. I'm really looking forward to next week our first visit. Weezie is tagging along and getting used to the wheel chairs.

Wonderful idea Glenda.

Thanks Glenda!! I couldn't get to the site from your link, but here it is:

www.surfdogricochet.com

One of the best things I ever did with Kate & Bailey was therapy dog work. Many of the people you visit have had a deep connection to a dog and, for at least a little while, you bring that part of their lives back to them.

This is going to be the catalyst for me to have Finn certified. I'd like to have him partcipate in a program that Bailey used to be in. It's called "Reading to the Dogs". Some of the kids who participate don't always have anyone who mentors them and helps them learn. When the kids choose a book to read to a dog-they know they can stumble on words and the dog will never judge or rush them along. The dog provides a comforting and non-judgmental presence. It's really something to see!

Thanks again Glenda and Congrats on all your recent trial accomplishments!!!

*** I just watched the video. Ricochet's owner has done so much for so many!!! Just amazing!!! What a wonderful life she has given that dog and to share her to make a difference. ***
    M
    Last edited by Miriam Wade; 03-23-2010 at 08:23 AM.
    "You can put pressure on a dog, you can’t take it back…"

Mitch Patterson '07

MHR Wadin's Katie Lied CD, SH, WCX (11/25/93-1/27/07 Rest Well Kate)
    Brassfire's Brass in Pocket JH, WCX ** (4 Master passes)
    Brassfire's New England Patriot (New Pup!!!)

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Thanks, Miriam. Looks like I forgot the ".com".

We had two registered therapy dogs, one a Golden and one a Lab, who made many, many friends at the hospital. In addition, my husband used to take his dog into the hospital to visit special patients. Often the dog got through to them when persons could not.

I spent a lot of time visiting schools, nursing homes, etc. with various dogs over the years. It was very rewarding to all involved and my dogs absolutely loved it. One man who had never spoken started petting my dog----and then started talking to it----in German. The nurses and all of us were soon in tears.

The dogs are wonderful with children, especially children who have emotional problems and have difficulty relating to others. As you say, the dogs are not judgmental. Possibly this is one of the many reasons we love them so much----they take us as we are.

Glenda

Hi Glenda,

Our young guy Alex is signed up. Cheryl has read the book and Alex is having his evaluation the first of May. He is so calm and loving, he will make an excellent therepy dog as well as field trialer and hunter.

John