Dog Flu
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dog Flu

Default Dog Flu

What are you hearing? What do you plan to do with your dogs? Does your vet have the vaccine?

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Terrie Tomlinson

HR Frontier's True Grit With a Cause "Rooster"
    Boykin Spaniels: Max, Rummy, Jewels, Pepper, Chip, Wager, Windy, Harley, Cajun, Sky

In Memory:
    HRCH Frontier's Cherokee Rebel MH (5-9-2000 to 12-6-2011)
    Moonstone's Little Girl Found MH (3-20-1998 to 5-2-2008)
    HR Five Star Winning Sue SH (4-16-2006 to 9-11-2016)
    Calebri's Take the Money and Run JH (3-3-2008 to 6-20-2012)

I've developed a whole protocol at my boarding kennel, including disinfecting everything with agents known to kill the virus, handling dogs wearing gloves and disinfecting the gloves and leashes between dogs, keeping empty runs between dogs from different households as long as we are not too full, maintaining a quarantine area, contacting owners to advise them to discuss vaccination with their vets and not to go to dog parks, PetSmart, etc. within a week prior to boarding, and lots more details.

At our training kennel, I am going to vaccinate all of the dogs. I may isolate dogs coming in if they are from, or have been to, states with widespread dog flu, or if they've run a test or trial within a week prior to coming.

Amy Dahl

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

It made the news here last night. So far there is not a single case of canine flu reported in Alaska. No vets in Alaska currently have the vacine according to the report.

I'll talk to my vet and get the dogs vacinated if he feels it's worthwhile.

Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

my daughter lives in Phoenix she took her new pup to the vet last week the DR said he saw 7 cases that day affecting pups from what he called the flu.

Quote Originally Posted by Tville View Post
    What are you hearing? What do you plan to do with your dogs? Does your vet have the vaccine?
    It's here and it's real! The Vaccine has been tested, the maker claims it is safe for dogs and has little or no side affects.

Because the vaccine is so new, the Vaccine makers strongly suggest that Vets examine the dogs before giving the vaccine. This means that the vaccine will not be readily available at clinics. So many of you will have to pay for a vet examination in addition to giving the vaccine.

So if it's $$$ verses protecting our dogs - hello? Find a Vet who has the Vaccine and take care of your dogs!

Quote Originally Posted by afdahl
    At our training kennel, I am going to vaccinate all of the dogs. I may isolate dogs coming in if they are from, or have been to, states with widespread dog flu, or if they've run a test or trial within a week prior to coming.
    Good for you Amy!

If you have your dog with a trainer -- what is he/she doing to protect their dogs? If they haven't even heard of this flu, that says a lot about their credibility as care takers. If they simply can't develop a protocol and find kennel space to protect your dogs, than says even more.

BTW I do know many pros who insist that dogs be vaccinated against -- say Parvo -- before coming to their truck. But they do not actually ask for documentation. Again, what does your Pro do? Can you go to his office and see that vaccination documentation exists for all the dogs on his/her truck?

Regarding National tests/trials. This flu started in the southeast and slowly made it's way to the north west. The Master National mixes dogs from all across the country together. Perhaps we should think again about a Regional MN -- for the safety of our dogs.

Just say'in
    Last edited by Pheasanttomeetyou; 10-16-2009 at 02:29 PM.

To put a little perspective on the canine flu from the vet side. The vaccine DOES NOT prevent the flu, it only reduces the amount of time the dog is affected by it.

The canine flu in 92-99% of the time is a mild and self limiting disease. Those that are more severely affected are already immunocompromised or greyhounds.

The canine flu can only be diagnosed as "the flu" via specific PCR testing that looks for the actual virus.

Many cases of "flu" that is not diagnosed via PCR testing can be caused by many different things. Some of those other things are corona virus (yes there is a respiratory corona virus), bordetalla, para-influenza.

Most of the outbreaks occur in shelter situations.

The vaccine is not recommended by most virologists for most dogs.

If you want your dog vaccinated, it requires two vaccinations 3 weeks apart. And then it takes another 10 days for it to be effective.

Talk to your veterinarian.
    Kathleen

"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you're not, in fact, just surrounded by a**holes" -William Gibson

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by wheelhorse View Post
    To put a little perspective on the canine flu from the vet side. The vaccine DOES NOT prevent the flu, it only reduces the amount of time the dog is affected by it.

The canine flu in 92-99% of the time is a mild and self limiting disease. Those that are more severely affected are already immunocompromised or greyhounds.

The canine flu can only be diagnosed as "the flu" via specific PCR testing that looks for the actual virus.

Many cases of "flu" that is not diagnosed via PCR testing can be caused by many different things. Some of those other things are corona virus (yes there is a respiratory corona virus), bordetalla, para-influenza.

Most of the outbreaks occur in shelter situations.

The vaccine is not recommended by most virologists for most dogs.

If you want your dog vaccinated, it requires two vaccinations 3 weeks apart. And then it takes another 10 days for it to be effective.

Talk to your veterinarian.
    My vet basically said the same thing and printed off this article for me.

http://www.avma.org/public_health/in...anine_bgnd.asp

Angie

Thanks, Angie. That article was very helpful.

Patsy
    photo by Mary Hillmann