Best duck/goose calls - Page 3
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Best duck/goose calls

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    I also use a plastic Haydel DR-85, a plastic Haydel BWT call with dog bites in it,my goose call is a polycarbonate Knight and Hale Pit Boss that cost me $20 with a DVD at the sporting goods store...wasnt putting down an Olt or any other cheap call...no call snob here.
    ..LOL..Those are good calls..Now I wonder how the old OLT would fare against Atkinson in a contest ..Hmmm

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

This is an easy one! The cheapest call that you replicate a ducky sound. For me, my go to call is a double reed Haydel. For most novices, a double reed is much easier to blow, and control volume, cadence etc...

Having said that, I have several single reeds I like as well. Forget the price--it doesn't matter... practice does.

Make some noise!
    John Stroh, Lodi ca

There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace…........If one has cut, split, hauled, and piled his own good oak, and let his mind work the while, he will remember much about where the heat comes from, and with a wealth of detail denied to those who spend the weekend in town astride a radiator.

Aldo Leopold

Nothin wrong with an OLT either. Mines older then I but it still does the trick just fine.
    "Daisy, Sit. No No. Sit not S***."

-Ashton

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Question for Chris A and Swampbilly ; did either of you play an instrument in school...the reason I ask is that many good callers that I know were/are either very good trumpet/trombone or woodwind players at a younger age..I played trumpet in elementary school but was horrible and gave it up when I hit junior high
    Executor of the Alanson C Brown III - Trust

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Quote Originally Posted by claimsadj View Post
    I'm looking into buying a couple of calls for the upcoming season. As far as a good all purpose duck call, what would you recommend? What about a good goose call(will be hunting canadas, specks, snows, etc) Thanks
    I like the Gk Canuck and Saunders traffic.
    HRCH 'Hook"
    HRCH "Bear"
    HRCH "Ava" MH
    HR "Penny"
    HR "Zoom"

http://plumcreekretrievers.com/

Question for Chris A and Swampbilly ; did either of you play an instrument in school...the reason I ask is that many good callers that I know were/are either very good trumpet/trombone or woodwind players at a younger age..I played trumpet in elementary school but was horrible and gave it up when I hit junior high
    ...'Bon,..no one can get anything past you can they? I played Trumpet from 7th grade untill 11th, and then finally got to play drums in school. Music has been fun, I've played all of my life (got to open up a concert with George Strait and a few others in the past)

One time at band camp....
    A lot of people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths.

Quote Originally Posted by claimsadj View Post
    I'm looking into buying a couple of calls for the upcoming season. As far as a good all purpose duck call, what would you recommend? What about a good goose call(will be hunting canadas, specks, snows, etc) Thanks
    Everyone's physiology, methodology and tone preferences differ, so there is no "one size fits all" answer to your question other than "trial and error". Reads like you're starting pretty much from scratch, and I'm of the school believing in beginning with something relatively easy to get up and running with, so technical/operational difficulties don't get in the way of tactical learning. That, and developing some proficiency base will make it a whole lot easier to choose future calls that may help you advance.

I'd guess that more tactically solid duck callers have gotten under way, and very often stuck with, Haydel's inexpensive DR-85 double-reed than any other call.

For Canada's, RNT's poly model Goosezilla is one that will get you in the game without breaking the bank.

For specks, RNT's poly version and Haydel's SP-04 are both about as easily run and effective afield as speck calls can be.

As for snows, the only inexpensive snow call I've ever heard sound like the bird was a Haydel diaphragm call I don't think they market any more. A lot of fellows who work at it can beat the great majority of snow calls by voice. The best snow call I'm aware of is a James Meyers, but you'll have to be $150 worth of mad at 'em to own one.
    If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.

(And to see just how confused I really am, join us in my online blind at: 2017-2018 Season Log

the brand of call doesnt really matter because 90% of the people that have them cant call worth a darn and use them more than is really necessary...a good setup with smart decoy placement beats a good caller every time
    Since you've said "a good caller," my money's on him. "A good setup with smart decoy placement" won't get you the birds that are blowing past it to settle with their live counterparts over yonder, but a caller who really knows his business very often can.

And good duck calling has much, much more to do with paying real attention to the birds' responses than musical aptitude.
    Last edited by Rick Hall; 08-04-2010 at 07:28 AM.
    If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.

(And to see just how confused I really am, join us in my online blind at: 2017-2018 Season Log

Quote Originally Posted by kjrice View Post
    One time at band camp....
    Redstars Hayseed Bo ..... "Butch"