The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: <GDG> gawd i love grizzlies!

Banned

Default <GDG> gawd i love grizzlies!

what is this grizzly bear cub doing with my hat?

i am fine, no blood, hospital trip, or even change of underwear needed - but close! that is my hat and i did not give it up voluntarily. not a zoo or stunt either - about a mile deep on a trail in Glacier NP........an experience of a lifetime

and i actually got the hat back!

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

David,

I don't know if you are brave, stupid, or a little of both...I'd like to know where mom was. LOL

Awesome picture!

Juli
    God answers prayers all the time. Even the ones we don't know we asked. God is Good (always)

"There are only two ways to live your life.
    One is as though nothing is a miracle.
    The other is as though everything is a miracle."

- Albert Einstein

Holy crap in the undies David! Where was the momma??? I think its even worse if you did NOT see her around.

It is a great photo though. Thanks for sharing.
    Carol Howey
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    (6/2/05 - 6/12/17) The finest animal I'll ever know.
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, SH
    New kid: Howey Do Dat? July 14, 2019 Prize x Katie
    http://newhoperetrievers.com/Carol/_carolBlog/

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 2tall View Post
    Holy crap in the undies David! Where was the momma??? I think its even worse if you did NOT see her around.

It is a great photo though. Thanks for sharing.

oh i saw her alright. she is just beyond these 2 cubs, a 3rd came along behind me 3 minutes later, apparently lagging way behind. i never knew i was between them. at one point momma and all 3 cubs were 10-15 feet from me. i did everything right and by the book from what i have learned from all my past research and personal experiences, and that may well be the reason i survived unscathed.

i'll have a full photo essay in a few days, right now i am cleaning up and repacking photo and camp gear from 4 nights living out of a campsite and sleeping on the ground. amazing how disorganized everything can get in such a short time....

Glacier is awesome - saw 8 adults and 13 cubs in 2 days, some at 350 yds, some 30, 10, and then 15 feet.

Banned

and by the way - the grizzly that Jack Hannah had to spray last month in Glacier? i know first hand that he was baiting. in a national park. highly illegal and highly unethical as well as highly dangerous - but they are looking the other way because he is, well, Jack Hannah and his shows increase nature protection awareness and hence $$ for nature and national park interests. bastid.

That is totally amazing. Was your hat on the ground by other stuff? How did it get ? Fill us in.

Timothy Treadwell loved them too, he even sang to them.

Stay safe and don't be on the menu!
    Last edited by EdA; 08-29-2010 at 04:43 PM.

Great pic's David. Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by david gibson View Post
    oh i saw her alright. she is just beyond these 2 cubs, . . .
    Those are cubs? Here in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, I don't see many black bears that look that large. I saw 4 cubs with their mom the other day. The mom was not much bigger than your cubs.

Look forward to seeing more pictures. Got any showing bear poop that has little bells and a pepper spray container in it?

George Fiebelkorn
    SouthFork Fly

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by g_fiebelkorn View Post
    Those are cubs? Here in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, I don't see many black bears that look that large. I saw 4 cubs with their mom the other day. The mom was not much bigger than your cubs.

Look forward to seeing more pictures. Got any showing bear poop that has little bells and a pepper spray container in it?

George Fiebelkorn
    they are very plump and healthy cubs, momma didnt appear all that big to me facing her on level ground. from talking to the rangers and fish and wildlife folks i met, the grizzlies in Glacier are a bit smaller than those in yellowstone due to a bit less game in their diet, more berries, and a shorter warm season. but who's splitting hairs with these guys?

here's a cutie peering through the huckleberries:

and a male that looks plenty stout to me. certainly they get much bigger, especially in Alaska, but this is plenty big for me! luckily i could keep some parkland buffer between us.

not to be haughty, but if you have seen wildlife from the road in a national park you know how everyone stops and gets out. thats cool, its what we are all there for. but there are only a few serious and experienced photogs that are there, and we are generally the ones that find the bears first and know what to do. i followed this guy by car after he crossed the road and tried to predict where he was going until he emerged from the brush, then slipped out and moved laterally - slowly - making my presence known, so i could get a better angle - but not getting closer to him. after a few minutes 2 others arrived, and were respectful of my position and worked with me so we all could score. then the tourists with instamatics arrive, and seeing us they think they can just come right up to where we are. and thats fine if they come quietly and slowly, but not running and shouting "oh wow! look! a bear!" that either A) scares the bear away ruining it for everyone or B) scares the bear into being threatened and makes him defensive and more likely to attack. either one causes stress on the animal which is also a no-no. and it gives all the photographers a bad name. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

obviously none of them read the brochures of rules and warnings upon entrance.