How Does The SRS Rank As Far As - Page 8
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: How Does The SRS Rank As Far As

Quote Originally Posted by R Little View Post
    Question was asked where SRS ranked compared to FC,AFC,ECT and I answered and you got all bunched up

Might need to reread the original post to figure that one out buddy. SRS is a venue created for certain Hunt Test Pros to showcase their talents on TV and make money for the "Promoter", and get a "Cult" like following in order to keep the $$$$$$$$ rolling in. Don't be ashamed, everybody needs to be somebody, even on the internet.
    SRS Created for a Certain Hunt Test Pros to showcase????? WRONG..... The SRS was created because ESPN wanted a qualifier for the Great Outdoor Games. You see, Retrievers was one of the highest rated (watched) events in the Great Outdoor Games, so much that ESPN did not want invitation only Dog/Handler teams. So Super Retriever Series was created. Est 2002. When ESPN decided to not do GOG anymore in 2005, SRS was still running on her own and continues to do the same.

To make money for the promoter??? WRONG Again. I could say I am the one of the major promoters and if you read back you will see that I Just love it..... The money is being made for the competitors. ( I love being able to help clarify, at least this month )

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Shannon... i'm pretty sure the "money for the promoter" bit was a jab at JT.

For some reason, quite a few members of the retriever community feel it's ok to get paid when you get up and go to work everyday, unless your job is related to something they view as a hobby. Yet, guides and trainers don't catch any flack. I've never understood it.

SRS is a great game and has done more to increase public awareness of what we do with our dogs in the last 5 years than has been done by all other venues combined in the history of the sport.

Does winning an SRS event impress me as much as winning a weekend All-Age stake? No. Is it a lot of fun and challenging? Yep.

The only thing that i disagree with pertaining to SRS is the lack of recognition to the owner of the dogs. I accept the whole "needing a handler/dog team to root for on TV" as legit reasoning. But if that was my dog winning the Crown on TV, you better say my name just as much as you say Steinman's. The check better be made out to me as well.

I know the SRS crew and i know their hearts belong to the dogs, just like the rest of us. If you want to hate on someone... hate on the show folk or democrats.

SM

Quote Originally Posted by Shayne Mehringer View Post
    Shannon... i'm pretty sure the "money for the promoter" bit was a jab at JT.

For some reason, quite a few members of the retriever community feel it's ok to get paid when you get up and go to work everyday, unless your job is related to something they view as a hobby. Yet, guides and trainers don't catch any flack. I've never understood it.

SRS is a great game and has done more to increase public awareness of what we do with our dogs in the last 5 years than has been done by all other venues combined in the history of the sport.

Does winning an SRS event impress me as much as winning a weekend All-Age stake? No. Is it a lot of fun and challenging? Yep.

The only thing that i disagree with pertaining to SRS is the lack of recognition to the owner of the dogs. I accept the whole "needing a handler/dog team to root for on TV" as legit reasoning. But if that was my dog winning the Crown on TV, you better say my name just as much as you say Steinman's. The check better be made out to me as well.

I know the SRS crew and i know their hearts belong to the dogs, just like the rest of us. If you want to hate on someone... hate on the show folk or democrats.

SM

Hey Bud.... How are you?? I just emailed Jerry Day yesterday for your phone number? I need you to call me or email me.

PS. I know.....I am working on the owner Name with the dogs and will more so next year as well. I did do this towards the end, during the Crown shows and we do in the programs too.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by achiro View Post
    I was really surprised recently when my civic group was checking into holding an SRS event that
    1. They were willing to let a bunch of guys with ZERO retriever experience hold one of their events and
    2. Charge that club $10,000 (before expenses) to hold one.
    Number 2 really surprised me and from what I was told through PM it's even more expensive if you want to hold a televised event.
    Quote Originally Posted by achiro View Post
    I was really surprised recently when my civic group was checking into holding an SRS event that
    1. They were willing to let a bunch of guys with ZERO retriever experience hold one of their events and
    2. Charge that club $10,000 (before expenses) to hold one.
    Number 2 really surprised me and from what I was told through PM it's even more expensive if you want to hold a televised event.
    Achiro,

Funny....We are holding an event in Enid, OK....its scheduled....A classic event, Untelevised. I guess if the bunch of guys that I have been using for the last 5 or so years are not experienced then YES I would be honored to have them run my event. I have to say we have the best Crew in the business, bar none...
    10k is what is cost to come in town and to pay the inexperienced crew of mine. AND yes if you add 5 more Cameras and TV crew it is more $$ It's what it is costs.

Now on the other end if your a smart business man, you will realize what bringing an event to your town does for your town. Not just SRS, but any event. You got hotel rooms, food, gas, etc etc that everyone coming in is spending. It can do wonders for the community. What TV does that non TV events do is to it has the ability to promote the town or city or whatever the City, Chamber, Or Club deems fit for TV...
    Lets take Huntsville, AL for instance. We are going there for the 4th time. They see the big picture there, they take unbelievable care of the not only the crew but the competitors. They have added a sanctioned Duck Calling competition and this year a Wildlife Art fair around the Super Dock (pool). Oh in case you didn't realize SRS has a pool event. 3 of them, Super Fly, Super V and the Junior Flyers for 14 and under. We like to include the families and kiddos too. I promote through TV what the Huntsville Sports Commision wants me to, the NASA Space center, The HSC, what ever. They are happy, we are happy... It has become a wonderful event. So we are kinda like a mini dog fair and yes it cost us to come to town.

Hope you will come introduce yourself when we are there. I would love to meet you and talk further.

Thanks
    Shannon

Quote Originally Posted by Dekester View Post
    Gentlemen and Ladies,

The Super Retriever Series is a hybrid event. It is not comparable to a Field Trial a Hunt Test or a Bird Dog Challenge. It is not similar to AKC or UKC. It is an event like no other. It is testing a total retriever/handler/trainer. It is not just testing field trial dogs or hunt test dogs but a total dog. Can you take a fire breathing field trial dog and throw him into a swamp swinging a shotgun over his head and shooting close birds? You sure can! Will that dog perform well? Well he might or he might not or it might be just to much for him to handle. On the flip side you could take a hunt test dog and throw him into a very complex field trial setup with long thought out marks. Will he perform? Well he might or he might not. The SRS is looking for an animal that can handle ducks in your face shooting a gun hooting and hollering and everything associated with a hunt.....layout blinds, pits, boats, decoys and EXCITEMENT! They are also looking for the dog that has the advance training that will go out and pickup that long retired gun and has the advance training to do handle that kind of marks. We as a retriever community I would think would want to support and promote any dog related venue. Its good for the sport, the breeds and communities all of our venues will compete in.

As a very new person in the dog world I get so sick and tired (frustrated) of everyone bashing AKC, UKC, NARHA, BDC, SRS, super dock or even the show ring. Just play the game and promote all venues. All these games and competitions will make us better dog trainers and handlers.

Thank you,
    Jon-Michael Rull

OMG.......DING DING DING DING.......I'm i love 3> 3> who are you?

Well all I can say is this....I am glad you exist!!! There needs to be more of you in the world!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BrettG View Post
    Ken,
    I know money isn't paid out for trial wins but there are definite financial gains from winning in that venue. Think about some of the puppy prices, stud fees, even the prices of dogs that are sold. Money isn't always the bad thing in the equation, people usually are the ones that mess it up.
    But winning a SRS you leave with a check in your hand winning a trial doesn't garuntee stud fees, even having an FC doesn't garuntee stud fees, check the "underrated stud" thread. Plenty of dogs mentioned that have not been bred, or not been bred much. Plus leaving EIC/CNM carrier status aside. Winning a SRS event with a EIC carrier and CNM carrier may be the best bet to get any $$$$ cause a carrier stud is likely not goin gto be used much unfortunatly.
    Last edited by limiman12; 10-12-2010 at 02:38 PM.
    Fritz Baier
    owned, trained and handled by:

GMHRCH-II MPR Baier's Mighty Waldimar
    MHR CPR Baier's Lady Gabrielle
    4 X GMPR MHR HRCH Baier's Lady Legacy of Tru Point MH Certified Therapy Dog
    Baier's Mighty Paw Patrol Zuma KHIT (KNUCKLE HEAD IN TRAINING)

Quote Originally Posted by golden boy 2 View Post
    It does amaze me how many people come on here and bash the SRS when they have never ran one but have seen it on tv and now can form an opinion.

I personally ran 5 SRS events last yr, I cashed 3 checks, have the elusive SRS title on my dog and I ran in the crown Championship.

I also ran 13 open and Amateurs in the last year. I have 2 placements and 7 jams to show for it, so you can tell I really don't have that much dog. I will tell you this, getting a check in an SRS event is much harder than any Open or Amateur that I have ever run.

I have seen several FC and AFC crash and burn on the SRS level, I have also seen several good SRS dogs crash and burn on the All Age level. It is a very unique event. I encourage all NFC, NAFC, FC, AFC dogs to sign up for the Huntsville Classic in Nov and we can all talk about how you did on Monday morning. I predict there will be well over 120 starters, just like there was over 120 starters in all 3 classics last yr.

Now to educate some of you........

The tv show only shows 2 series, one is usually a shoot em up series and if they are pressed for daylight the other series could also be a hunt test. Everything is about producing a show that has just recieved the highest ratings ever.

I have seen more dogs break on rubber duckies than I have seen on real live fliers, so for all the people who think their dog is too good for a rubber duckie, well the dog doesn't really care.

My love life has increased dramatically since I was on tv for 5 weeks straight, every morning there are female groupies at the end of my drive way wanting my autograph and wanting to get their picture with my dog. Most of them are pretty darn hot!!!!

Go run a SRS event, when you get there tell them you have a high powered field trial dog and they will probably cut you a check right then and there, I mean its that easy..

Carry on........................

Not sure who you are either ( I'm guessing though) but I love you too!!!
    You know it is all funny to me. I have my seven year old dog sitting on the couch right now wishing I would get off my tush and get her HRC finished title and I have alittle Pup pup in boot camp getting ready for started. I love this game. I am a little scared of the AKC game only because I don't fully understand all the rules, but I will learn.

It takes HRC-UKC and AKC to build all levels of dogs. SRS is just another game to play both so to speak and was developed for TV to be able to make the folks that know nothing about our games be able to understand. Hey it is a hard game to follow. It takes years for us to even learn it, you know??

I remember working with the Producer at ESPN, Bill Fitts.... this guy was the very first Super Bowl producer, he is one of the reasons we watch all sports the way we do today. A legend in Sports Programming. Anyway, he said that Retrievers was one of the hardest things he ever produced. Its tough. Funny thing too... he was in his 70's when he produced Retrievers in Great Outdoor Games. He is fully retired from TV now and runs 2 dogs in Agility games.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Guthrie View Post
    Too bad the best SRS thread of all time is lost in cyberspace.
    I still love you!!!! Yes it was a great part of History. Glad I got to experience it.

Shann

yummmy....rubber chickens
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

Quote Originally Posted by Nate_C View Post
    I have always loved the concept of the SRS and they do have some very challenging tests. However, it is too bad that those that operate it have done so in a questionable manor. If a SRS title means nothing it is not becasue of the dogs work but because of a lack of respect for the organization that runs it.

P.S. I think the Bankrupt thing is possible. I think they only have three club events this year and one classic. With the loss of some key sponsors they might not have enough money to televise the crown or have any big payouts. No crown would kill the SRS.
    Nate,

Please explain the "questionable manner or manor" comment, I don't quite understand. Do you know me?

Lets see know. We have run 3 clubs events to date and one in another 2 weeks at Mr. Ed's and then our first Classic is in Huntsville, AL. Our second Classic will be at the DU Duck Jam in Texas in April and then an untelevised Classic in Enid, OK. I think I have 2 more SRS club events in March and April too, I am waiting for the paper work and the SRS Committee approval of them. Then the Crown Championship in May. We really can't fit any other in. We have down time during the hunting season and SRS makes sure that we do not run an event on top of any major dog events, Example - National AM, National Open, Master National or the HRC Grand.

And one more thing. The entry fees DOES NOT feed into the SRS event. It is totally separate, not sure how many times I have to say that..... It comes into an account and pays out to the competitors. SO even if TV goes away, The event could actually continue to run, if the players want it to.

Kill is a strong word ......