Purina Pro Plan VS Purina One
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Purina Pro Plan VS Purina One

Default Purina Pro Plan VS Purina One

Do any of you feed Purina One. I feed Pro plan right now and noticed yesterday that the protein and fat content in in One and the ingredients in pro plan were identical. Chicken still the number one ingredient too. But Purina One was 15.00 less??

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Duxbwar View Post
    Do any of you feed Purina One. I feed Pro plan right now and noticed yesterday that the protein and fat content in in One and the ingredients in pro plan were identical. Chicken still the number one ingredient too. But Purina One was 15.00 less??
    Yup, I too have noticed that. Guess it sorta goes to show you that either there are some pretty broad definitions they can use for ingredients, or they are practically the same dog food.
    Stray labs make great pets.
    Proud member of the FF society.

I noticed that too and wondered the same thing

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

the midwest purina rep told me that the two foods are very, very similar.

Barb Gibson
    with
    CH Rosewood Little Giant VCD3 UDX VER RA TDX MHU SH MXP MJP MFP T2BP DJ VCX WCX CCA CGC FFX-OG
    also UCH HR UH UUD NN UJJ URO1 UHIT
    (golden retriever) born 3-10-07
    a.k.a. "Tito", "The Tito Monster"
    www.GoTeamTito.com

Quote Originally Posted by hotel4dogs View Post
    the midwest purina rep told me that the two foods are very, very similar.
    And very similar in price as well around my area, Purina one is carried by most grocery stores around here, I have fed both and can't tell a difference

Purina One has more corn in it. I called Purina because of a problem I had with two of my terriers.

I had switched to it with my terriers and two, a mother and son, began chewing at their feet (about 3 weeks after) and both got yeast infections in their ears. I thought it was because of the swimming they were doing but after various attempts to clear it up nothing worked.

I switched both dogs to grain free/gluten free foods and after about 4 weeks they stopped chewing on their feet. Used a different antiobiotic for their ears and that cleared up to.

From a seminar I attended I did learn it is a very balanced food. Wish I could use it but I can't.

Cindy R.
    Rustic Kennels
    Parson Russell Terriers & Sussex Spaniels
    Ch. Fox Fire Leather "N" Lace
    Ch Fox Fire Inspector Inquisitor
    Three D Foo Fighter, the brown dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Duxbwar View Post
    My daughter feeds Purina One 26/16 and I feed Pro Plan 26/16. Looking at the two most recent labels off each is interesting as they are almost identical. But One lists Zinc and PP does not. There is more A and E and glucosamine in PP, though I am not sure if the differences are significant. PP also lists Ascorbic acid and One does not.

These appear to be pretty minor differences. Both feeds are for moderately active dogs. I would say if One is significantly cheaper, it's a better deal. I have not price compared yet.
    Richard Gilbert
    Riner, in southwestern Virginia

There are many versions of Purina One. Which specific one are you guys saying is very close to Pro Plan?

Quote Originally Posted by Big Chief View Post
    There are many versions of Purina One. Which specific one are you guys saying is very close to Pro Plan?
    Chief, sorry to be getting back to this late—then finding this thread amidst all the feed threads was hard. I was comparing 26/16 ProPlan chicken and 26/16 Purina One lamb and rice. So maybe a bit of apples and oranges here?

Anyway, the GUARANTEED ANALYSIS on the tags is identical until these figures below, though One lists Zinc and ProPlan does not. I am sure PP has Zinc; they just needed something for that line. One also lists Omega 6 Fatty Acids at 1.6% and ProPlan does not, same probable irrelevance. Here are the real differences, I suppose:

Vitamin A: ProPlan, 15,000 IU; One, 13,000 IU
    Vitamin E: ProPlan, 460 IU. One, 250 IU
    Glucosamine: ProPlan, 400 ppm; One, 350 ppm

Folks, are these significant differences as far as performance or longer working life? If the glucosamine in One is not considered adequate by this group, I'd rather buy the ProPlan than stay with the cheaper food and add a supplement. I have always given him a fish oil softgel daily because I have lots of it.

Second, on INGREDIENTS,
    ProPlan lists these first nine in order: Chicken, Brewers Rice, whole grain wheat, poultry by-product meal, corn gluten meal, whole grain corn, animal fat, corn germ meal, and fish meal.

Purina One lists these first nine in order: Lamb, rice flour, whole grain corn, whole grain wheat, chicken byproduct meal, corn gluten meal, soybean meal, beef fat, and mono and dicalcium phosphate.

What do you all think of these differences? I notice that ProPlan lists four protein sources from animals, including fish, and five from plants in the first nine.

Purina One lists three protein sources from animals and five from plants before falling off to a calcium source in the first nine.

Looking at the One out of the bag, it appears to be about half bits that look identical to ProPlan and the other half some extruded chunks. I presume the soy in One is being used to get the protein back up in the filler material.

As I said, I had stepped my Lab down from 30% Purina Pro Plan to 26% Purina Pro Plan and then saw how much less my daughter was paying for 26% Purina One. About $15 less a bag when they have the same major analysis 26/16.

After months on One, my Lab is doing as well, though I am not sure he is QUITE as shiny! But he may be and that's my imagination or that he's been shedding a lot.

I have not noticed a difference in stools, but I don't see most of them as he goes off in our woods. My analysis here indicates to me that ProPlan 26/16 may be a slightly better food than Purina One 26/16. But, again, I am not sure that is significant or worth $15 more a bag.

Last edited by Mossy Dell; 07-05-2019 at 08:22 PM. Reason: emphasis, organization
    Richard Gilbert
    Riner, in southwestern Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by Mossy Dell View Post
    Chief, sorry to be getting back to this late—then finding this thread amidst all the feed threads was hard. I was comparing 26/16 ProPlan chicken and 26/16 Purina One lamb and rice. So maybe a bit of apples and oranges here?

Anyway, the GUARANTEED ANALYSIS on the tags is identical until this below, though One lists Zinc and ProPlan does not:

Vitamin A: ProPlan, 15,000 IU; One, 13,000
    Vitamin E: ProPlan, 460 IU. One, 250
    Glucosamine: ProPlan, 400 ppm; One, 350

One lists Omega 6 Fatty Acids at 1.6% and ProPlan does not.

On INGREDIENTS, ProPlan lists these first nine in order: Chicken, Brewers Rice, whole grain wheat, poultry by-product meal, corn gluten meal, whole grain corn, animal fat, corn germ meal, and fish meal.

Purina One lists these first nine in order: Lamb, rice flour, whole grain corn, whole grain wheat, chicken byproduct meal, corn gluten meal, soybean meal, beef fat, and mono and dicalcium phosphate.

What do you all think of these differences?

Looking more closely at these ingredients, ProPlan appears to have an edge in more protein from animals. I notice the soy in One, which is probably being used to get the protein back up.
    Looking at the One, it appears to be about half bits that look identical to ProPlan and the other half some extruded chunks. I bet they are are less expensive and being brought up by the soy and the ProPlan base.

Anyway, as I said, I had stepped my Lab down from 30% Purina Pro Plan to 26% Purina Pro Plan and then saw how much less my daughter was paying for 26% Purina One. After months on One, my Lab is doing as well, though I am not sure he is QUITE as shiny! But he may be and it's my imagination.

I guess my concern is whether I am cheating him long term on glucosamine. Presently my only supplement for him is a daily fish oil tablet, same as before.

Which ProPlan formula are you comparing Purina One to? At 26/16 I would imagine this is ProPlan Adult as the ProPlan Sport / Performance is 30/20
    NMH GMH GMHR-V HRCH-UH Dakota Creek's Royal Navigator MH (HRC & NAHRA 500 PT Club)
    HRCH-UH MHR-I Dakota Creek's Royal Gem MH
    HRCH-UH WR Dakota Creek's Wreaking Havoc SH
    SHR Dakota Creek's Cute As A Bug JH WC
    MHR Pine Acre's Dakota Sand Creek SH WCI (2003-2017)