Help out a Rookie!!!
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help out a Rookie!!!

Default Help out a Rookie!!!

Hello, I am very new to the sport and I've been shopping for a new puppy to train but before I spend money on a dog I want to get familiar with the training process and the approach I need to take. I was just wanting some thoughts on training literature/DVDs stuff like that to begin the process of training a retriever. Any information would help. Thanks!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Julies book training the pointing labrador is a great book. Even if your not going to go pointing lab. There is also a newer dvd out made by gary buys. I've heard its good

i am no veterine by no means but i found Smart Works to be very helpful with my training

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Try to do a lot of reading- books, this website, etc. Then, get on Youtube, and watch every video you can find about training retrievers (At the Line is a series of short, but very informative clips). Use these resources to become familiar with the different concepts that you will encounter in the training program you will eventually use. Remember though, that you don't necessarily want to mix up the different programs- the goal here is to learn the terminology, and become familiar with the various skills you will need to teach the dog.

Recommended reading: 10-Minute Retriever by John and Amy Dahl
    Recommended training programs: Evan Graham's Smartworks puppy DVD for the puppy level, then Judy Aycock/Danny Farmer's Retriever Training Basics DVD. Also, Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy (I think you will need the 3 volumes of training articles to cover some of the details not covered in the DVDs).

Follow those programs, and you'll have a very solid foundation to build upon. I also highly recommend group puppy obedience classes, after the pup has its final puppy shots. It gives you opportunities to socialize the pup, and you learn how to teach your dog.
    El Matavenados

More than one pro has recommended this video to me for puppy training.

“TRAINING A RETRIEVER PUPPY” with BILL HILLMAN
    http://www.hawkeyemedia.net/Training...rPuppy002.html

As for as Training videos go (in no particular order). These are some of the ones I know of.

Fowl Dawgs -Rick Stawski
    http://www.finelineretrievers.com/dvd.html

Smartwork system - Evan Graham
    http://www.rushcreekpress.com/

The Total Retriever Program - Mike Lardy
    http://www.totalretriever.com/

Good luck and have fun!
    Andrew
    Last edited by andrewschlueter; 05-24-2011 at 01:37 PM.
    HRCH 'Hook"
    HRCH "Bear"
    HRCH "Ava" MH
    HR "Penny"
    HR "Zoom"

http://plumcreekretrievers.com/

I would use caution on viewing Youtube videos for a way of gaining experience on how to train your dog. Not all videos are created equal and there are lots of ones that are garbage out there. I can't believe some of the videos some folks post as to how to train your dog. Some are pretty scary.

Learn all that you can about your breeder thier pups pedigree Its health back ground checks. Be sure that the pups are well socialized and hand raised.

I made the mistake of buying what I thought was a pedigreed pup CKC which I assumed was Canadian Kennel Club and as it turns out he is Continental Kennel Club which I now know carries zero credibility. So even if I wanted to FT or HT him I cant. That isnt my goal he is my hunting buddy and my every day best friend. I wouldn't trade him for the most expensive dog in the world but I don't know what kind of health problems he may have in the future.

Just be carefull take your time and you dont have to spend loads of money to get a great dog.

Good luck
    Jonathan
    Reese Maulden 2010-2016
    Jess' Boone to Buxton Riptides (Boone)

Add Hillman's new fetch dvd to the list by andrew.

If you are going to get help training from friends etc., find out what they use. I bought one program, but then ended up buying another so that I was on the same page as the people helping me.

No regrets on owning them all but it is just a lot of money and time to buy and view them all.

I would add Sound Beginnings by Jackie Mertens

Quote Originally Posted by rookie80 View Post
    Hello, I am very new to the sport and I've been shopping for a new puppy to train but before I spend money on a dog I want to get familiar with the training process and the approach I need to take. I was just wanting some thoughts on training literature/DVDs stuff like that to begin the process of training a retriever. Any information would help. Thanks!!
    See the Parents. When you pick your pup, watch how they act in the litter. Getting pup is easy, but living with one can be tough have pups housing ready before you get him. Regular Vet visits can also get expensive. Learn animal behavior, there are many good books on why dogs do what dogs do. This will help when you start training. Wild Heir Labrador Rescue may have a good puppy that needs a good home, nothing like saving a dogs life, I adopted all mine and I have some great dogs, that do it all. Best of Luck. Denny