dog vest??
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: dog vest??

Default dog vest??

first off how many of you use em? which ones ya like and or dislike. does anyone know if you can still get the avery boaters vest in natural gear camo? i actually have one from my previous boy but my new guy isnt gonna b as big as him. not to many people around here have it and i love to be differnt than everybody else.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

i use a cabelas brand with the zipper in mossy oak shadow grass. its been through 2 dogs and held up pretty well although its starting to tear along the zipper a bit. i use it for those super cold mornings only to maybe help her stay a bit warmer

I use an Averys vest it was the only one I could find that fit my dog well in the arm pit area and didnt rub.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

We use the Avery boater dog parkas. You should be able to find a few of the Nat Gear Camo out there somewhere, Google it.
    Tim McGarry Jr
    AKC Retriever Hunt Test Judge # 95104

Glad you asked that question. I'm looking for one as well. We never really needed them in Louisiana, but PA may be different. I know that a lot of guys in LA didn't use them because they worried about the vests getting hung up on brush, etc. Plus, it really doesn't get that cold in south LA. Great to know which ones work though. Appreciate the info.
    Martin

I use Avery vests. I fit them to my dog by using my wifes fabric cutter (looks like a pizza cutter) i cut the arm pits tried it on and did that until if fit correctly. I have had no problems with the vest but the zipper pull came off after about 20 uses.
    "Where nameless men by nameless rivers wander, and in strange valleys die strange deaths alone. I'll be found."
    (Random FB quote I liked)
    www.facebook.com/teamdeadfowl

I've only used Avery and Cabela's vests, and much prefer Cabela's wide velcro fastener to Avery's zipper on a number of grounds. (Fishnfetch's zippered vest may have been sold by Cabela's, but I don't know that I've never seen one under Cabela's brand. They've been velcro for some time.) The wide velcro affords a good measure of adjustabilty zippers don't, is easier for my cold hands to deal with and gives the dog a better chance of escape if the vest gets hung on something.

Would also suggest the "armorflex" version. That thin mesh doesn't look like much but works great. The unprotected upper half of my current 5 season old vest has taken a beating, while its armorflex bottom half that sees the most punishment is unmarked.

Any vest that's producing underarm chaffing just needs some material trimmed away with scissors.
    If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.

(And to see just how confused I really am, join us in my online blind at: 2017-2018 Season Log

only used the Cabelas with the velcro,it only fit Kate and Nola...it would not fit Brig and it was a joke trying to put one on Mirk, he has a big layer of fat on him anyway and has plenty of insulation..I think he actually likes the snow on his belly and his privates
    Executor of the Alanson C Brown III - Trust

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

i actually have a cabelas vest with the velcro as well and can see where it would help fitting it to different dogs. the velcro strip is very wide and holds like hell but i find the zipper one easier to put on and off and it fits both dogs

I have both a Cabela's and the Avery boater's parka. The Avery fits better. The Cabela's was too big around the back end when it fit her in the chest. Trimming couldn't make if fit any better. Nothing wrong with the Cabela's, just doesn't fit my girl as well as the Avery boater's parka.