Retriever Coach
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Has anybody tried one of these

Lion Country has them on the website.

http://www.lcsupply.com/Pop-Start-Pr...ctinfo/PSTART/

$119.00

Pattie
    Pattie
    Effective gun control is hitting what you aim at!

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

I like it. And you dont' have to explain to a policeman or county sheriff when they roll up on you that it's a blank pistol only.... or anyone else observing you within city limits that calls in reinforcements. (been there..done that..) sort of looks like a big staple gun
    Terrie Tomlinson

HR Frontier's True Grit With a Cause "Rooster"
    Frontier's Gossip Girl With A Cause "Gabby"
    Boykin Spaniels: Max, Rummy, Jewels, Pepper, Chip, Wager, Windy, Harley, Cajun

In Memory:
    HRCH Frontier's Cherokee Rebel MH (5-9-2000 to 12-6-2011)
    Moonstone's Little Girl Found MH (3-20-1998 to 5-2-2008)
    HR Five Star Winning Sue SH (4-16-2006 to 9-11-2016)
    Calebri's Take the Money and Run JH (3-3-2008 to 6-20-2012)

I'm an urban trainer most of the time. I think this would be fine in town as the noise doesn't seem to bother people it's the gun. Still doubt I'd pay $120 for a politically correct noise maker at this stage of my training career.

Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

So how many 209 primers does this gizmo hold?

Quote Originally Posted by joel druley View Post
    So how many 209 primers does this gizmo hold?
    One primer at a time......

Dave
    canine n. Synonymous with courage, valor, trust, selflessness. If we learned to be half of what dogs are, the world would be a much better place

Quote Originally Posted by Howard N View Post
    I'm an urban trainer most of the time. I think this would be fine in town as the noise doesn't seem to bother people it's the gun. Still doubt I'd pay $120 for a politically correct noise maker at this stage of my training career.
    Yeah..but you live in Alaska..still land of the free and home of the brave.. they probably just think...oh good, he's scaring the bears and moose out of town with the noise.. urban areas and tree huggers are encroaching now on all my wonderful training grounds...hope to visit Alaska one day..(bucket list item)
    Terrie Tomlinson

HR Frontier's True Grit With a Cause "Rooster"
    Frontier's Gossip Girl With A Cause "Gabby"
    Boykin Spaniels: Max, Rummy, Jewels, Pepper, Chip, Wager, Windy, Harley, Cajun

In Memory:
    HRCH Frontier's Cherokee Rebel MH (5-9-2000 to 12-6-2011)
    Moonstone's Little Girl Found MH (3-20-1998 to 5-2-2008)
    HR Five Star Winning Sue SH (4-16-2006 to 9-11-2016)
    Calebri's Take the Money and Run JH (3-3-2008 to 6-20-2012)

These things are really cool. I have been using two of them for over a month. The pistol route just wasn't getting it done anymore. Too many jams, malfunctions and the like. Now my pistols have been relegated to decoy weights!

It seems to me that they may be slightly louder than an average pistol, but safer to the ears because of the port that emits the sound. One of the key benefits is that you always get a shot. The bird boys never have the excuse that they forgot to reload because it is only one shot. Shoot and reload. As long as they keep primers in a pocket and not in the bottle, reloading has been very fast. Today I had 3 stations and one person on a four wheeler. I don't recall waiting long on any shot and throw. Definitely in enough time to help a youngster that needs a fire drill. Also it's virtually indestructible. Perfect for people rough on equipment (like most dog trainers).

Smile

Yes! I saw one of the early prototypes this spring and watched the design changes as they worked out the improvements. I have shot probably 1200 - 1500 rounds (conservative estimate) through mine with ONE misfire which I suspected was a wet primer.
    Seems a bit louder than pistols I have used and simple to use. With a little practice you can reload in seconds.
    If there is something to break on these, I can't imagine what it would be. No intricate moving parts and nothing to wear out.
    At a little more than half the cost of a decent primer pistol, Hey ... my Days End 6-shooters are for sale. Seriously!

JS

No pins or other parts to LOSE, either!!!
    “Don’t wave your phony patriotism in MY face! If you really love America, open your wallet and hire an American kid to build what you buy. Doug Fraser (paraphrased) 1980

Real Americans buy American.

If you haven't had the opportunity to see one of these new shooters yet, you can probably see one at most field trials across the country because they are being used by some if the top pros. I hear some of them include: wayne curtis, paul sletton and jess bentley, andy attar, mike lardy and ray and pat, dan sayles, jim beck, steve blythe, steve yozamp, charlie moody, al arthur, alan pleasant, jerry patopea, bill eckett, mark smith, mark edwards, bart peterson, danny farmer, rob erhardt, karl gunzer..... I'm sure the list is growing by the day.

Looks like might take too much time to reload to shoot a second shot for a young dog. Might take some getting use to.