Quicker Sit ?
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach

Thread: Quicker Sit ?

Default Quicker Sit ?

How do you get the dog to sit fast on the whistle ?

I've tried the heeling stick while walking, used the e-collar and rope , dog just is S L O W to sit

Any Ideas

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Bill addresses this with a 5 year old in the link below. The process is not complicated and it works.

http://www.findretrievers.com/forums...php?f=23&t=749

In my opinion, if the dog responds to the whistle and stops quick and sits slow I don't see where this would be an issue. He's still doing the task.

Is it the same at heel and in remote?

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by metalone67 View Post
    In my opinion, if the dog responds to the whistle and stops quick and sits slow I don't see where this would be an issue. He's still doing the task.

Is it the same at heel and in remote?
    NO....... he will sit quicker at heel, he doesn't throw on the brakes when he's rolling to come to a quick STOP to sit

try rewarding the whistle sit at a distance instead of punishing for a slow sit. A tennis ball and ball launcher work great. As soon as the butt hits the ground, they get a fun retrieve.

I've got a 7 month old who can be running full speed, she hears the whistle and her butt litterally drags the ground while she's slowing down.

Quote Originally Posted by dpate View Post
    try rewarding the whistle sit at a distance instead of punishing for a slow sit. A tennis ball and ball launcher work great. As soon as the butt hits the ground, they get a fun retrieve.

I've got a 7 month old who can be running full speed, she hears the whistle and her butt litterally drags the ground while she's slowing down.
    This is an interesting concept. What kind of ball launcher?? Do you mean a "chuck it" or something similar??
    God bless!- Jamee

"If your dog doesn't like someone you probably shouldn't either"[/U]- Author unknown
    [U]

My team:
    HR Dr. J's RxRated High Caliber JH, QA2 "Kali"
    Jamstar's Hot Tubb "Cuzzi" (NAFC Tubb x HR Kali JH QA2)
    Watermark Shadow's Sweet Addiction "Jones" (FC AFC Shadow X Watermark's One Way)
    #1 cheerleader: SJ's Gotta-Lot-A Go Lil "Jake"

Gone but never forgotten:
    HR Stevie-Joe's Super "Star"- my heart dog, I love you baby
    October 24, 2001-January 6, 2013

Quote Originally Posted by dpate View Post

IMO not sure that is a good idea. I would wait until the dog comes back to your side and then throw the bumper. Make sure he stays sitting until you give the command it is okay to retrieve it.
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Hashtag Mickey

"Don’t cry because it’s over. Smile because it happened."
    Dr. Seuss

Do it with a pile set up at 40-50 yds.
    Send for pile. Let him go without stopping on about half of sends. On the other half stop with whistle enroute. If slow sits give a correction and another Toot. Cast and stop again. Once he gives a better Sit its good dog and cast to pile.

Reward improvement on sit with cast to pile. Bad sit means a cast but after a nick and will be followed with another sit sequence. He'll keep getting stopped until he gives a "good" sit. Your standard for a good sit can gradually get higher and higher.

You can set up reward and failure by stopping him close to you(likely to get good sit) or close to pile(likely to get bad sit). If all your sits are bad and you need a good sit to reward stop him quick to get good sit, say good dog and cast and let run all the way to pile.

Usually after 3-4 sessions with my dogs the sit cleans up so I can go back to the field. You can also do this in the field with BB blinds.

This is not my idea, its lifted directly from the Lardy articles.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Lynn Metras View Post
    IMO not sure that is a good idea. I would wait until the dog comes back to your side and then throw the bumper. Make sure he stays sitting until you give the command it is okay to retrieve it.
    In this scenario, there is a long gap of time between the behavior and the reward. Think of the difference between nicking a dog with a collar and walking out to pinch his ear. Which is a more timely correction? The same goes for rewards.

This is where a marker (clicker) comes in really handy. Since the click is a release - you have met criteria now here comes your prize - you can reward the action of the dog putting his butt on the ground without completely breaking steadiness.

Goes something like this:

Fun bumpers or formal retrieves, whatever gets the dog's spirits up
    Whistle sit - as SOON as the dog's butt hits the ground, mark and toss a bumper off the dog's path. If you're standing at 6 on a clock face and the dog is running towards 12, toss the bumper/ball/food/whatever somewhere between 1 and 4 or 11 and 8. Throw it HARD so the dog gets a big fun chase out of it.
    Keep that up until you're getting really snappy sits.

Then you can start introducing steadiness back in.
    Delay the mark a beat or two so he has to settle into the sit before he gets the reward.
    Wave the reward around (gently at first, then more vigorously) without throwing it. Mark and toss.
    Toss the reward softly close to you. Mark/release and allow the dog to get it.

Build back to your usual level of distraction for steadiness, then start giving casts again. At first, you want to go back to your earlier criteria. As soon as the butt hits the ground, send him again. Gradually you can ask for more solid but equally quick sits.

Go slow and build success.
    Professional trainers would lack a job
    If every hunter owned a tolling dog

W. Avery Nickerson

Good post Raegan. Instead of a click I use "yes" which can be communicated at pretty far distances. Raegan is of course correct that the "yes" means the dog has completed the action and is released. I have never used a rope or anything to teach whistle sit at a distance. Simply started at 2 or 3 feet and very quickly she got the idea. I can now do it about 75-100 yds out and the sits are crisp and quick. By the way I very rarely throw the ball for her sit anymore and she will hold them for 2-3 minutes if she's not released. Try it, it works.