RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Cherokee Foothills HRC Spring Hunt Test Cancelled

3K views 26 replies 11 participants last post by  JoeOverby 
#1 ·
This is sad.

#3 ·
My, My Wife, And A Couple Of Chessies In A Chevy Volt...how Funny Would That Be?

#4 ·
It has nothing to do with the gas prices. There is a double master that same weekend and a big boykin trial as well. There are only so many dogs to go around....reason # 473 the HRC needs to institute a Grand qualification requirement and lift the limit on dogs one can bring to a test. I wonder how many more will have to cancel before HQ gets the message...

#5 ·
So if limit is raised you might have 3 pros per flight and normal Joe doesntget chance. Assuming all tests must be finished by end of day

#20 · (Edited)
We have been told that we can have a hard close date if we desire but do not choose to. The mistake was made by the club that allowed sign up after the advertised close date. All they had to do was show them the premium and explain that entries were closed. They may be mad that year but they would definately sign up on time next.
I have learned to estimate the number of late entries based on previous years and it use to be quite high (about 1/2 the number that sign up early). We offer an early entry discount of $10 and it has brought the percentage of walk-in entries down.
Our test run completely on volunteer help. The clubs up here do not make enough money to pay help nor do we have a readily available source for workers. The help is often inexperienced and they could do a better job but we are just thankful to have them and do the best we can with who we have. I'm sure you do all you can to help at the tests but caring for and hauling 8 dogs from stake to stake to run doesn't leave much time for you do much else during the test.
What I don't understand is how allowing more dogs per handler will increase the opportunities for the "average joe". Running more dogs may inturn mean more money and work for a club but it does tranlate to more clubs with more tests. It won't increase the number of workers or judges or people who are willing to chair a HT.
Up here nearly every weekend is either a AKC or HRC test. We do are best not to schedule an event that goes head to head with another venue. HRC runs mostly May-mid June. (4 clubs), HRC tests in Sept. (1 club) AKC run mostly mid June-Sept.
Load up your dogs and come on up. I sure between us we can solve all the HRC problems over a beer at the tailgate.:razz::razz: Good luck with your dogs.

Wayne Sumner
Yankee Waterfowlers HRC
June 2,3 2012

#21 ·
I am sorry I opened this can of worms, but there have been some great points made.

I went to the NGHRC last year, and had a great time even though my I did not pass either flight. You could really tell the club had worked hard to put the test on, and you could feel that at the test. I was excited about the Cherokee Foothills event, and it was unfortunate that it was cancelled.

I think it would be interesting to see Cherokee Foothills HRC, and North Georgia HRC team up and have a hunt test. It would be an opportunity to do a little strategic planning, and try a couple of different ideas.

First off, make sure the hunt test date does not land on any other major hunt test dates.

Then, possible set a hard close date and set the numbers. If the numbers are low, and the workforce can handle it, allow a limited number of walk ups.

Any other ideas?

#22 ·
Then, possible set a hard close date and set the numbers. If the numbers are low, and the workforce can handle it, allow a limited number of walk ups.

Any other ideas?
You cannot have a hard close date and then allow walk ups. Makes no sense. Even limited # of walk ups still encourages people to not bear the responsibility or accountability of planning 10 days ahead.
Watch the movie "The Sting". After Lonigan gets shut out because he does not get his bet down in time, he can't wait for the next time and is sure to be there on schedule. Would be the same in HT's.
Let a pro get shut out because he can't manage his entries and see how pissed his clients get and then he is on time from then on. If he decides he does not like that club because they try to operate efficiently, then who wants him any way. Let a guy plan on running a test and not enter properly, lose vacation time, travel expense etc. and he will be on time next event also. If he gets pissed, then so be it.
This works for all other venues and no reason it cannot or will not for HRC.
Come on people. Is it really that hard to let a club know you are coming so they can operate efficiently?
Guess that tells you where I stand.
MP

#23 ·
OK, well maybe that was a bad idea, and you brought up a very valid point. Maybe the hard close date is the way to go like AKC.

Do clubs have the option of a close date for registration, or is that a UKC rule that allow walkups?

#24 ·
As long as HRC operates without callbacks and that the land/water series must be completed the same day, the number of dogs per set of judges is limited.

Imagine trying to run 50 dogs in both series in one day. Yes Grand sometimes does it, but they are extremely efficient.

It is also up to the clubs to be proactive in soliciting entries. Contact local pros and let them know about the dates before hand. Take some efforts to market your HT.

#25 ·
Chuck:

It is my understanding that any club could institute a hard close should they choose, but would probably be advised against it by the field rep.

As to the other arguments: The HRC's primary mission is to help hunters train better dogs. While pros benefit our clubs financially and fundamentally affect how are dogs are trained and tested at the upper levels, our organization is not set up to benefit them or their clients.

I'll judge for the umpteenth time this w/e. One common factor in my observations all successful clubs have is a strong recruitment of new handlers; handlers excited about running their first seasoned or started test. Those clubs consistently have large seasoned and started entries while maintaining a waiting list on their finished flights. They choose their judges very carefully and set an atmosphere more appropriate to hunting as opposed to serious dog training. Small details can make the difference - nice birds, good organization, adequate parking with good turnaround to name a few examples. Long time HRCers reaching out to their friends at other tests doesn't hurt, nor does shameless self promotion!!

I helped start an HRC club 12 years ago. From the start I was told by those who had run successful tests, the object of a test is not to make money as a club,but to provide the venue and hopefully break even. Clubs followong this philosophy seem to make money, while those that cut cornets and pinch pennies seem to lose out.

HRCs success has been predicated on the different atmosphere we provide. If HRC tries to compete with the AKC program by trying to be comparable, it will lose. Providing an amatuer friendly venue even if only in perception is one of the major differences.

#27 ·
You cannot disallow walkups the day of a test. It is against the rules. Therefore, there is no such thing as a hard close. You don't have to increase the number of dogs per flight...just the number of flights. We do shamelessly promote our HT and are told quite regularly "we are running AKC that weekend, sorry, client sent the money in weeks ago...." Just like in the case of Cherokee Foothills...people are choosing to run a double master that weekend. Had we required the money to be in weeks ago people would have made their choices then and this whole conversation would be history. As far as the NGHRC/Cherokee Foothills joint venture...great idea but all of the help on the planet wouldn't have mattered. Cherokee Foothills is feeling what we felt last year. This is the whole reason we went to 1 HT a year from 2. Now, like I said before, there are less opportunities for "average Joe" to run in our region because of our decision to only have 1 a year and with Cherokee having been a 1 a year test now having none. Now, participants in our region will have to incur more travel expense going outside our region for the passes they could have been eligible for @ CFHRC. How does a hard close make it not amateur friendly??? Pros are the ones who suffer. We dont have to worry about our personal dogs getting registered...we have to worry if all of our clients have registered. The hard close does not make it unfair for the amateur it makes "average Joe" be responsible and accountable. Whats so wrong with that?? Listen guys/gals we can argue these points all day and get no where. The fact of the matter is just this..we are not seeing our sport grow down here, we are seeing a decline. Sitting on the club side of the fence it is easy to see what needs changin to up our numbers when other entities are already doing it and being very successful. I didn't help start a club to make the first dime but I didnt start one to be personally financially liable if we dont have the entries to pay the bird techs, duck man, poppers, and food. Shame on everyone who thinks the clubs dont do all they can to ensure their success. I dont know about every region but I do know down here in region 4 we take our HTs very seriously. We dont want a good test, we want a great one. We dont want good food, we want great food. etc. I imagine though, that we are no different than any other club. We all want the best for our sport. So, lets put our big boy/girl britches on and claim some responsibility when it comes to the success/failure of the club(s). Keep in mind, if people signed up early then there would be no need for any type of incentive to make them do so. Just sayin...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.