Next top stud? - Page 11
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Next top stud?

Why does there have to be A "top stud"? Better to have different choices for different females for a better fit than to create another bottleneck. Most of the people wanting to know the top stud is just because they don't want to research what is best for them. Many studs are NOT prepotent, and many may not nick well with all lines of females.
    Nancy P

"We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made." M.Facklam

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by ErinsEdge View Post
    Many studs are NOT prepotent, and many may not nick well with all lines of females.
    While we agree on the definition of prepotentcy we may not agree on the standard but for me, in my almost 50 years in retrievers, there have only been a handful of truly prepotent sires.

That should have been a 1,2 instead of an and, but there have been many outstanding females that have produced with multiple different top males. There must be something special on that extra X chromosome when it's doubled up. Are XXX females produced in dogs?
    Nancy P

"We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made." M.Facklam

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Gregg0211 View Post
    what reason would that be?
    You obviously went all the way back to the start of this thread, which was 2012, to pull up this quote, but you must have missed what else I said regarding this statement: "Yes, but not nearly as much as he could or would if he were EIC clear, in all likelihood. That was my point, someone asked why certain accomplished studs don't get bred more, the two mentioned were EIC carriers, which DOES impact a stud's choices & breeding, regardless of how many other wonderful attributes a dog might have. . . There can be other factors, but EIC carrier status seems to be a common (stupid, IMO, but that's another argument) denominator. "

There is a little less stigma now, 7 years later, more people are willing to breed to EIC carrier studs, particularly if they are producing the desired offspring, but it is still an impact on a stud getting less breedings than an EIC clear, overall. Just because of how many EIC carrier females cannot be bred to them, aside from those who still think carriers should not be bred at all.
    Kim Pfister, Rainmaker Labs
    Rainmaker's Bella Luna, MH/QAA
    Rainmaker's Southern Gamble, MH/QA2
    Port Bay's TNT Dynamite, MH/QA2
    Rainmaker's Working Class Payday, MH/QAA
    Rainmaker's Redhead, MH
    Rainmaker's Early Bird Special, MH
    Rainmaker's Pink Is The New Red, MH

Now you're gonna have every 2 year old derby and open hopeful wanting to run at your place pete...hahalol

I did not think it was possible for a derby dog to hold a laser guided line at such a distance with such a technical water memory bird. The open was held down the road. If your in the area give me a call and we'll play with some doggies.
    Pete
    The eye can not see what the mind does not know

I agree with Paul on Ford and Stryder. Super cool dogs that are producing. Floyd is by Kid. Kid has produced some very nice pups, obviously, that can mark and have intelligence.
    Jeff Gruber
    working on pelts
    Duckponds Prize Package 5-2002-6-22-2017 RIP
    CK'S Contessa (avatar)
    Ice Cold Juice *** 1-17-2012 12-3-2018 RIP
    I Ain't No Tin Lizzy
    Mission Valley Hoping for a Repeat
    Franklin's 29 Degrees True North

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Now you're gonna have every 2 year old derby and open hopeful wanting to run at your place pete...hahalol

I did not think it was possible for a derby dog to hold a laser guided line at such a distance with such a technical water memory bird. The open was held down the road. If your in the area give me a call and we'll play with some doggies.
    Pete
    It was a very cool and spectacular weekend for sure. John and Amies dogs will always excell at doing technical water. No doubt about that 🙂 always great seeing you. See you in spring time Pete. Always a great time! Stay warm brother!
    Empire's Honey Ryder QAA2-CBR-F-3-18-2013
    Crossfire's Empire Builder SH, QAACBR-M- 2-15-2009
    GCH Breakwater Salutes USS MADDOX SH-CBR-F-10-27-2006
    RIP Rainyvalis Callin' Hawaii 5-0-CBR-F- 2-19-2002 - 09-27-2006
    and the labs, too many to list.