Best Dog Food for Labs - Page 8
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Best Dog Food for Labs

I'm a newbie and have been researching foods alot. I looked at purina one compared to PPP and I notice purina one had a soy product in it which kind of turned me off. I'm going to do more research into the soy thing but it seems to be connected with alot of issues in both Humans and Dogs. But like I said I'm just a newbie. I have been having a problem with my new pup getting shaky legs and a slight bow and after help from others on this forum I switched him to a low fat diet for a couple weeks so hopefully that helps. When we get back on track I am thinking I will go with PPP sport active the 26/16 if the high fat is what was giving my pup the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Mossy Dell View Post
    I like Purina. I think the Pro Plan Sport 30/20 is unbeatable for hard-working dogs. My Lab is not that hard working. I stepped down to Pro Plan 26/16.

My daughter feeds
    Purina One 26/16 Lamb and Rice, and I like its look, feel, and smell. The other day I compared the two most recent labels off each of our feeds. Interesting, as they are almost identical. Purina One lists Zinc and PP does not. There is more A and E and glucosamine in my PP, though I am not sure if the differences are significant.

Both feeds are for moderately active dogs. Purina One is significantly cheaper, and seems a much better deal.

Am I missing anything here? Has anyone compared these two product lines from Purina?

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

I just acquired a new Black Lab pup..... Researching this dog food business will drive you crazy. I obviously want to feed my pup the best but the amount of choices and opinions will leave your head spinning.

With that said...... Is Dr Tim’s a good solid/healthy dog food?

Pro Plan Focus seems like a popular choice as well, along with the Fromm brand.

Dtonne, on the soy, I had not noticed that difference in PurinaOne vs. ProPlan. I will have to look at the labels again. What I have noticed in feeding One is that it appears to be made up of the ProPlan bits and a different type of kibble, differently shaped or extruded.

My theory is that Purina is making One, a premium feed that's a cut above their basic feed, by cutting ProPlan with this other feed. Maybe they are keeping the analysis at 26/16 by using soy in the other kibble.

I have not noticed a change in my dog's droppings, but he goes in the weeds for that and I seldom see them. I MAY have noticed that his coat is not quite as glossy. Or is that my imagination? Not sure! As always, I feed him a fish oil capsule daily so that hasn't changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Dtonne85 View Post
    I'm a newbie and have been researching foods alot. I looked at purina one compared to PPP and I notice purina one had a soy product in it which kind of turned me off. I'm going to do more research into the soy thing but it seems to be connected with alot of issues in both Humans and Dogs. But like I said I'm just a newbie. I have been having a problem with my new pup getting shaky legs and a slight bow and after help from others on this forum I switched him to a low fat diet for a couple weeks so hopefully that helps. When we get back on track I am thinking I will go with PPP sport active the 26/16 if the high fat is what was giving my pup the issue.
    Richard Gilbert
    Riner, in southwestern Virginia

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

I'm also new at RTF, I need nutrition advice for my labs 8 weeks old. Thanks so much!

Hi yes Purina is good but for some reason my dog doesn't like that taste so now he's on Royal Canin. And yes supplements are needed. I give him vitamin C and coat shine as recommended by my vet. But you can also check the label in your dog food and see what vitamins is in there so what you can just give him is what he lacks.

Does this puppy food fill your adult breed stomach? Starving is also there. We should take care of our loved ones.