RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Norwester, you are correct. My definition of force fetch is not the same as yours

The link you put up describes "stick" and/or "walking fetch" as part of the FF process. Down at the bottom of the page under the heading STICK FETCH ....
"Then the dog is digging out to beat the stick and seems totally reliable without any ear pinch, you are finished--you have successfully force-fetched your retriever".

In fact the last 3 paragraphs on the page describe a "walking fetch" drill and how to implement it. Clearly the author(s) considers this part of FF.
So are you saying you don't FF this way or you do ??
Sorry again for the confusion on my part.

Regardless, again, had the OP included ducks in the FF process at some point, there would likely have never been a problem to solve.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Hey there, I know I've been a little MIA since I first posted this question a few weeks ago, between work and making time to get out and hunt when I can, kinda forgot about this thread I created, oops! Here's an update on Ripley: got her out 4 or 5 more times since posting, and on the last couple of hunts, things started to click. The couple times we downed a bird reasonably close and out in front of our blind, she went out like before, and finally snatched up the duck and brought it back to hand. Unfortunately, we've had some slow days in SW Colorado and i haven't been able to get the reps in for her that I would like in order to really solidify this confidence she's gotten, but the second season is in 2 weeks so we'll see how things go.
To answer a question I noticed popping up: Yes, I know what force fetch is and how it is done, as well as the benefits it can have. However, I chose not to FF Ripley because I had her retrieving bumpers and dead chukars since she was 3/4 months old. About a year ago, when she was 4.5 months, she actually tackled a live chukar to the ground that we had winged, and she brought it to hand (i know, probably too early for a live bird introduction, but it worked out, my next dog ill be more cautious about bird intro because I could have seriously messed up my pup). point being, she never had any confidence or holding issues with dead or alive birds until the ducks were in the water, and now that she's seen them fall in front of her a little more, she isn't even hesitating to grab them out of the water.
The next challenge will be getting her to stop whining in the blind because she's cold, so if any of y'all have any pointers on that, I would welcome any and all tips on the matter.

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
The next challenge will be getting her to stop whining in the blind because she's cold, so if any of y'all have any pointers on that, I would welcome any and all tips on the matter.
Bring a chamois to dry her off and put an old coat over her when she is cold.

I chose not to FF Ripley because I had her retrieving bumpers and dead chukars since she was 3/4 months old.
Your pup your choice, FF is the foundational tool to fix and prevent the problem.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
A lot of times my dogs will shiver such that they appear cold. Even when the temperatures are low, much of that shivering is from excitement rather than the temperature. Not to say I don't put a vest on them when we're down in the low 30s or less, but they often shake the same when its 60.

41 - 46 of 46 Posts