RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Yellow Lab
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another new guy here. 12 week old yellow lab. He has been doing fairly well and is, on command, sitting, healing to both sides, laying down, and will kennel to a ground level platform or his kennel. First time in the water a couple of days ago, he followed me into our pond a few feet and swam some laps around me. He done a couple of short water retrieves, 8-10 feet out with no issues. Our temps dropped so I'm waiting for it to warm back up before any more water.

He had been retrieving fairly well, both a paint roller and canvas puppy bumper. About a week ago he got to where he would start back with the bumper then wander off with it so I went back to short retrieves in our garage so he couldn't wander and would have less distractions. The last couple of days he would bring one back then the next one he would drop and wander off to do something else. He's still excited to go after the bumper/paint roller but not so much to bring it back. If he thinks he is going to get a treat, he will bring it back about 50% of the time. I never immediately take the bumper away and when I do, I give it back for a few seconds. If he happens to pick up something he's not supposed to, like my wife's shoe or whatever, I praise him to bring it to me and don't take it away immediately and will usually trade it out for a treat. Everything else he is still making progress on.

Could this be due to the fact that I let him wander around our yard while I work in the garage so that he has a little freedom and can get exercise? What about chew toys? I thought that they would be ok for a teething pup.

I really don't want to mess him up. At six months he's going back to the breeder for more training and I'm really excited to see what he grows into.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
He's a puppy. Don't push it. Just fun "training" at this age. Lots of positive things. Just a couple retrieves at a time.
^^^This^^^
And convince your pup that those retrieves were better than anything any puppy has ever done before.
This step in training should be pure fun for both of you.
Also, leave the treats in the house.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
In addition, try to find an AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy class in your area. There's a list or trainers/evaluators in the attached link. It's not retriever focused. It's for all puppies.The class teaches the puppy how to learn, impulse control, etc., etc. and also is great socialization for your pup. Puppies can start as early as 10 weeks of age. The class is 7 weeks, one hour/week. My wife and stepdaughters are trainers/evaluators, so it's easy for me. The Tucker pup who I kept from my recent litter is enrolled right now. AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy – American Kennel Club

·
Registered
Yellow Lab
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A little late, but thank you for the info.

I manifested patience and went back to the basics. Inside short retrieves without distractions. He's doing better now, retrieving a puppy bumper as far as I can chuck it, and retrieving side marks as well as short water retrieves.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts