RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my first ever started hunt test this weekend(Kankankee River HRC). Very nervous and excited, not quit sure what to expect. I think I have a pretty good idea but you never know until you actually get there. I just have to remember to have fun, regardless of how things work out and learn from the whole experience. Been looking foward to Sat. for a long time now and I think my lab is more perpared than I am!!!! Only 2 days to go!!!!!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Well, looks like Im in good company, Im up for my first May 12, no mentor, fairly well trained meat dog and a sloppy pup, going for a WC on each, expecting my "meat dog to pas at least to WCI, good luck guys

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
It's a blast! The weather is looking great for a test too! I'll be with my son at started as he tries to get his SHR title with his Boykin, see you there.

Remember let the gunner shoot for you, hold your dog, don't release until the bird hits the ground (but don't hold forever either). Started tests are a lot of fun!

·
Registered
227 Posts
It's a blast! The weather is looking great for a test too! I'll be with my son at started as he tries to get his SHR title with his Boykin, see you there.

Remember let the gunner shoot for you, hold your dog, don't release until the bird hits the ground (but don't hold forever either). Started tests are a lot of fun!
I second this! It will be a great weekend! Looking forward to the test as well!

·
Registered
376 Posts
The best advice I have received recently is just before calling for the bird take a big relaxing breath. It really helps.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have a suggestion for all you guys who are new to the game:

Go to the AKC website and read the judging standards and test requirements. If you wing it and learn as you go, you'll have to learn by your mistakes - and that's no fun. I'll try to attach a copy here, if it doesn't work you can get the .pdf file at AKC.org.

Knowing what to expect and what's required of you and your dog is a must. Not knowing gets expensive and will frustrate you.

If you don't have a mentor who really knows what he's doing, ask questions here. There is a lot of good experience on this site, including Judges.

Good luck!

Jeff

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Jason, you will be fine! Just stay calm and keep your head on straight at the line :D
I want to see pictures with you and a ribbon at the end of the day!

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Well being an old timer I have a few things to say about what bonehead mistakes I made when I was starting out.
At the judges meeting ASK any question about what the judges expect. For example : How far can you move to get the bird from your dog when they return. HRC rulebook says vicinity of handler (HOW BIG IS VICINITY)
Do not release your dog to make retrieve until bird is on the ground. I failed my first test because the bird Bounced..I started waiting a 5 count before releasing my dog. Try to get your dog to the line with all 4 feet on the ground........don't let them walk on their back feet pulling you.........I can still remember very VIVIDLY my first HT from back in 1991.......Whew I thought I was gonna pass out .......I had open heart surgery and found out that running a dog is NOT life or death........HAVE FUN,BREATHE and did I say have FUN. A warning however This dog stuff is very addictive.......LOL. Did I say HAVE FUN >.....very nice people in HRC and they all are pulling for you and your dog. :):)

·
Registered
613 Posts
I have my first ever started hunt test this weekend(Kankankee River HRC). Very nervous and excited, not quit sure what to expect. I think I have a pretty good idea but you never know until you actually get there. I just have to remember to have fun, regardless of how things work out and learn from the whole experience. Been looking foward to Sat. for a long time now and I think my lab is more perpared than I am!!!! Only 2 days to go!!!!!
You're going to have a great time, the HRC is the perfect first test experience.

Don't be afraid to ask questions.

Good luck, this is just the beginning!

·
Registered
72 Posts
I went to my first HRC hunt test this past weekend. Had a blast! The pup passed the first day but was being a puppy the 2nd day. He is 8 months old. But all in all had a great time and will definitely keep on going, Im hooked now.

·
Registered
17,078 Posts
Go rip it up!!!

Good Luck........

Team Elvis

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for all the encouraging words! I will keep everyone updated!!!!!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts