RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Kinda wondering what everyones thoughts are on the benifits/disadvantages of each. I have only worked with/hunted 1 dog at at time. I have 2 dogs now and am wondering if its worth buying a second stand alone collar/transmitter or if I should look at a transmitter that would control 2 collars.
Whats it like hunting with 2 transmitters? Which is easier? Seems to me it would be easy to grab the wrong transmitter, but then again, with the combo, you could easily forget which collar you have selected......now I am just confusing myself typing this... :)
my current collar is a Dogtra 1700NCP

thanks for your input.
RJ

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have the sportdog collar and only have experience with the one transmitter/two collar. I love it though, both collars are different colors so I always put the orange one on my youngest dog, and the black on my oldest dog. When i started it she was the one I had to beep more so I put her on button one and my oldest on button two. I never switch the collars between them and have only acccidently mixed them up once and that was in the beginning.

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
You'll mix up which dog the transmitter is currently turned to now and then. :oops:

Thank goodness it doesn't seem to do any damage.

·
Registered
Prime Time Four's a Full House 'Jessie' MH and Wyco's Lena Linda con Besos MH
533 Posts
I have an Exp that controls 3 collars and, for me, that's the best method. I usually have 2 dogs with me and I put the uppermost controlled collar on one dog and the bottom controlled collar on the other. I leave the middle one empty. That way I can just flip to the top or bottom on the transmitter. I occasionally zap the wrong dog, but they are forgiving. When I used two transmitters, I would inevitably drop one of them. Easier to handle one transmitter for me.

·
Registered
946 Posts
I have tried to use the collar transmitter on my launchers. The dogs survive that, too.
I have tried to correct my dog and launched a bird or bumper. Usually everything works out ok.
I like separate transmitters, one for my "right hand dog" (my favorite) and one for the other dog.

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
I have an Exp that controls 3 collars and, for me, that's the best method. I usually have 2 dogs with me and I put the uppermost controlled collar on one dog and the bottom controlled collar on the other. I leave the middle one empty. That way I can just flip to the top or bottom on the transmitter. I occasionally zap the wrong dog, but they are forgiving. When I used two transmitters, I would inevitably drop one of them. Easier to handle one transmitter for me.
When I used two transmitters, I still zapped the wrong dog now and then. Often seemed to have the wrong transmitter in my pocket, or, I'd forget which collar was for which transmitter. Glad when TT went to different colored collars. One transmitter is easier for me also.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I transmitter/mult collars, when working 2 dogs at the same time ( Honor) I have it set to the dog that more than likely will break, when hunting 2 dogs together ( old dog/young dog) the transmitter is set for the young dog,

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for all the feedback,
kinda sounding like 1 transmitter with 2 collars is the way to go........

also kinda nice to hear others making the same mistakes...launching bumpers, nicking wrong dog etc..... :)

·
Registered
977 Posts
Just do some checking before you buy. I had a Dogtra single dog collar/transmitter when I had one dog. Got another dog, thought I'd get a Dogtra 2 dog collar setup since I was already used to the buttons. When it came, the button arrangement was completely different than my single collar, so I still zapped the wrong dog occasionally. Not a big deal, but I made my decision without checking and was sorry.

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
I have 1 transmitter and 2 collars. I can air two dogs and keep them straight. But I really hate the multi-dog transmitters for training. It's easy to bump the collar selector to a different collar (TT500). More often than nicking the wrong dog, I miss a nick that I wanted to give. Makes me want to chunk it in the pond when that happens.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
When I bought a new TT500 I was surprised that it was a muti dog transmitter. I had ordered a single dog unit. I called and they told me they were all multi dog units now.

After some frustration I ended up putting some caulking in the multi dog switch to keep it from moving so it is a one dog unit.

I'd inevitably have it on the wrong collar number and miss a correction.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts