RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry I don't have them. But I do have a new pup that I would like to place with a young dog tainer for yard and transition work.
There are so many different opinions on who is the best and who is not that what I need is a page of proper questions to ask a
prospective trainer so I can make an informed decision.

What questions would you ask?

·
Banned
5,856 Posts
Will the puppy be doing FT, HT or be a gun dog. The training is all basically the same through the yard but the emphasis will be different.

Angie

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
This will be a FT dog.
Some of the best FT pros do the asking and may have long wait lists.

Troy mentioned finding a local pro. I agree, if you need the training as much as the dog. But this is less of a need if you know what to do with the dog when it comes home and you aren't itching to get your hands on him for a test drive.

In addition to questions for the pro, I'd want to hear from others who have had dogs with the pro. But at any rate...

If the assistant does most of the early work, you may want to meet the assistant as well as the head pro.

Do they train the young dogs specifically for derby with doubles, doubles, and more doubles?

Do they train with an eye on AA with early exposure to triples, retired guns, blinds, etc.?

How much work will the dog get during trial season?

What is covered in the monthly training fee? Flea & Tic med? Heartworm med? flyers per week? handling fees? travel fees?

Have they had good success with ________ dogs? Fill in the blank with your type dog (soft, sensitive, hard, etc.)?

Do they travel North or South for part of the year to take advantage of weather?

·
Registered
15,660 Posts
ask them if he accepts a check or Paypal or if he will just scan your credit card on his iPhone :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
ask them if he accepts a check or Paypal or if he will just scan your credit card on his iPhone :rolleyes:
bon,
monthly auto draft from your checking account is now provided by all prta members!;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts