RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to the National Am. this year!
It's near my house and I have never been to any FT let alone the Nat. Am. so I am geeked :eek:
I can't wait to see some of the fine animals that are so often metioned on here!! :D

·
Registered
573 Posts
Enjoy every minute of it.

·
Banned
5,856 Posts
You'll love it and be totally amazed.

Hope to head over there myself. I have many friends running...

Angie

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
It's near my house and I have never been to any FT let alone the Nat. Am. so I am geeked :eek:
I can't wait to see some of the fine animals that are so often metioned on here!! :D

Oh, it's gonna blow your mind for sure. Since you've never been to a field trial be sure to bring a chair, binoculars, rain gear and a camo umbrella. Don't wear a white shirt or jacket or light colors that look white. Also have your ipad or laptop charged up and a good internet connection so you can report to us what's going on!
Have fun for those of us who can't be there.

Remember every dog and handler entered has won at least one field trial in the past year plus had other placements. There will be no "bad' dogs there. Unfortunately, only a dozen or so will make it through to the end of the week.
On Sunday, day 1, the 1st and 2nd series generally won't be too crazy and the judges don't try to kill the dogs in the first few days. Typically beginning with the 5th series maybe Wednesday things get real serious as far a difficulty. Be sure not to miss the ending Series 8, 9 & 10, probably on Friday and Saturday, if possible.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Your making a BIG mistake, BIG mistake!!! I hope for your sake you are not a recovering addict of any kind because you are about to become one!!! This game will suck you in and will not let you go. HaHaHa
It is a wonderful thing to see these animals do what they do for us. And they do it for their pleasure and their best friend who is standing beside them on the line. The relationships you see between the handlers and the dogs is what is most special. ENJOY yourself!!

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
If you have the time volunteer to throw they change guns about every ten dogs so your not out there all day and you get a good view. If you know how to throw a flyer do it. Lots of fun. Or bird steward station if you can get it. Stand behind the line and hang birds for a few hours and you get to see everything.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you have the time volunteer to throw they change guns about every ten dogs so your not out there all day and you get a good view. If you know how to throw a flyer do it. Lots of fun. Or bird steward station if you can get it. Stand behind the line and hang birds for a few hours and you get to see everything.
That would be so cool :D

·
Registered
416 Posts
What are the dates for this??

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Onaway, Michigan 17-23 June which means that I will be in China and Korea for the whole event. Dang, but on a positive note, I would rather be in those countries than that cesspool just below our southern border called Mexico.

·
Registered
5,562 Posts
if you've never been to onaway and you are from the south(almost everything is south of onaway)-

-take warm clothes. it will likely be very nice, but could snow in june.
-when you cross the michigan state line.....you have only begun to drive.
-you will pass a sign on the interstate that says, "you are halfway to the north pole."(put in a good work with santa for me this year)
-sorry can't recall names but, in onaway, one very good takeout pizza place, one good "log cabin" style restrnt, another good restrnt/bar north of town on hwy 110 i think(try the fried lake perch, a little fishy but good)
-the "party store" at the river, just before town has nice sandwiches, pre-made for your selection. beverages and ice obviously.
-since there are only ~ 20 hotel rooms in onaway, most will likely be staying in a nearby area with more ammenities(nearby meaning +- 25 miles)

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
I am leaving tomorrow for a week up in the Grayling area fishing. Although I will be headed back when the event kicks off, I was planning to spend some a day watching some folks pre-national train and toss some birds for them. Wish I could be there for the event.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Oh, it's gonna blow your mind for sure. Since you've never been to a field trial be sure to bring a chair, binoculars, rain gear and a camo umbrella. Don't wear a white shirt or jacket or light colors that look white. Also have your ipad or laptop charged up and a good internet connection so you can report to us what's going on!
Have fun for those of us who can't be there.

Remember every dog and handler entered has won at least one field trial in the past year plus had other placements. There will be no "bad' dogs there. Unfortunately, only a dozen or so will make it through to the end of the week.
On Sunday, day 1, the 1st and 2nd series generally won't be too crazy and the judges don't try to kill the dogs in the first few days. Typically beginning with the 5th series maybe Wednesday things get real serious as far a difficulty. Be sure not to miss the ending Series 8, 9 & 10, probably on Friday and Saturday, if possible.
This is a very good primer for someone attending a first field trial.

Early in the week when all the dogs are still in the fight, it will take many hours, maybe all day, to get through a series so be prepared for that. Later on in the week after the field is narrowed, you will be able to see several series in one day.

And remember, you will see some OUTSTANDING dogs ... big name FCs, AFCs, past winners, etc ... make a fool of themselves and fail where "lesser" dogs may succeed. After all, as their owners will agree, they're all "just dogs". :D

Have fun and ask questions.

JS

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I was planning on going and seeing some of the dogs and people you hear about, but since the 17th is father's day I don't want to spend it driving the 4 to 5 hours home because I can't take time off from work. Man it'd be really cool to see some of those dogs though!

Mike, totally and absolutely agree with you not wanting to go to a failed state.

·
Registered
15,660 Posts
is Onaway used as a regular FT site or has it ever hosted a National before ?

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
I was planning on going and seeing some of the dogs and people you hear about, but since the 17th is father's day I don't want to spend it driving the 4 to 5 hours home because I can't take time off from work. Man it'd be really cool to see some of those dogs though!

Mike, totally and absolutely agree with you not wanting to go to a failed state.
The 17th is the 1st day. Typically 90 dogs running a land double and blind. Probably see much more interesting action on the 21st, 22nd or Saturday the 23rd.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts