RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 240 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Text Font Banner Brand

Welcome to the 2014 National Retriever Championship held in Vicksburg, Mississippi
November 16-22, 2014 …

Be sure to come and check out the Retriever News Blog each day for up to the minute coverage. Post your comments on the blog and show your support for your favorite dog/handler teams.

Send us your event and training photos and we will post them on the Blog! You can Email: [email protected] or upload them to our Facebook Page, where you will also find updates and important community posts. Best of Luck to everyone competing!

·
Registered
9,442 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Delighted to learn Bob Crab and Windy had a nice first and second series. Bob is among the nicest people I have met...in or out if the sport.

The other Bill

·
Registered
177 Posts
In looking at the blog pics from the first test, it appears that there was at least one decoy (mallard drake?), in the field. Was I seeing things?

May sound like a stupid question, but in the second series if a handler opted to select out the retired gun first, at what point would the guns retire?

Thanks

·
Registered
264 Posts
In looking at the blog pics from the first test, it appears that there was at least one decoy (mallard drake?), in the field. Was I seeing things?

May sound like a stupid question, but in the second series if a handler opted to select out the retired gun first, at what point would the guns retire?

Thanks
From the test description: "...The handler has been instructed to watch the birds go down, then the dog turns to the right and runs the blind first while the flyer gunners stand out and the second bird retires." In other words, the gunner is already retired (while the blind is being run), before the dog picks up either mark.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts

Thanks
No you are correct. There were decoys in the field in the 1st & 2nd series.

I'm guessing the description was a little off and the retired guns were really instructed to retire when the dog leaves the line for the 1st bird (no matter which one), and not just when the dog was sent for the flier. The person that wrote the test description just assumed everyone would send for the flier first. ;-)

·
Registered
177 Posts
From the test description: "...The handler has been instructed to watch the birds go down, then the dog turns to the right and runs the blind first while the flyer gunners stand out and the second bird retires." In other words, the gunner is already retired (while the blind is being run), before the dog picks up either mark.
I was referring to the second test.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
I'm guessing the description was a little off and the retired guns were really instructed to retire when the dog leaves the line for the 1st bird (no matter which one), and not just when the dog was sent for the flier. The person that wrote the test description just assumed everyone would send for the flier first. ;-)
Re-read Bruce's post. Watch the marks, run the blind (2nd series), then pick up marks.

1 - 20 of 240 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.