RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The NDC kicked off today. Good luck to all.

Anybody on RTF running it? Looks like they had to scrap the first series after several pickups.

Link to the Blog: 2021 NRDC

·
Registered
163 Posts
The NDC kicked off today. Good luck to all.

Anybody on RTF running it? Looks like they had to scrap the first series after several pickups.

Link to the Blog: 2021 NRDC
Dr. Ron from Dallas is running his dog. Looks like they got two series in after scrapping the first test. All dogs are still in.

Reactions: birddogn_tc

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
My sources tell me it’s going to get very real in the 7th.

·
Registered
6,256 Posts
Pretty easy to second guess from behind a keyboard from 100's of miles away.
Let me assure you all that some of the best and brightest dog people are giving their all to make this National happen in as smooth a manner as possible.

Let me give some first hand personal observance, from someone who has assisted and helped at all 5 Derby Nationals.
I have been there every day throwing birds, running set up dogs, tearing down and setting up tests, grooming 1000's of acres of training grounds, setting up signs, shooting flyers, rebirding, carrying lunches etc etc.
First and foremost let me mention Bob Hayden, who has spent years acquiring and meticulously developing Wood Dale Farms, the world class grounds that host the Derby National test grounds .Bob spares no expense and the word "NO" is not in his vocabulary when it comes to doing whatever to make this a Premier event. He even hires a catering service and buys everybody's breakfast and lunches during events held on his grounds. Mr Hayden is a true blessing to those of us that play doggy games.
Months ago I and others were contacted by various committee members to acquire and schedule volunteers to help out on their designated areas of responsibilities.

The head Marshall.... {who you may have heard of & knows a little something about testing/training dogs}....called me the week before the event and asked if I could spend the next day with him showing him the training grounds I make available for the event in order to see if their were any areas that may be dangerous to dogs and to be able to drop a pin and give accurate turn by turn driving directions to contestants to the training grounds.

Even though there are books of all the potential tests from previous Derby Nationals, they scheduled Thursday & Friday for setting up new original tests for every possible wind/weather condition. We actually decided to add Saturday for an additional test days to make sure all bases were covered.

The event began Monday morning, n rainy conditions. The first test was a challenging wide open double with a flyer go bird that required the dog to navigate a lot of steep terrain for the memory bird.
We ran 20 dogs prior to the gun change. By then 8 of the 20 dogs had handled or picked up. So they scrapped the test.
For any second guessers let me assure you that I am quite familiar with these grounds, and have seen that memory bird thrown many times. It is a challenging well protected bird; but very doable mark. It is thrown into a pocket where to terraces meet
If my memory serves me correctly we ran six dogs on that test during setup week, and they all got that bird. For whatever reason due to the misty weather and wind that morning there was little to no scent cone. Dogs were all over the bird East, west north and south of the bird and not catching scent.
After setting up the new test, we had an additional weather delay., before we could start.
The weather has caused numerous delays. If you have been around this game for any length of time you understand that happens.
The weather problems in this National are more pronounced when you are trying to get 10 series in an event starting on Monday and HOPING to finish on Thursday.....so as to not overlap with other FT's starting on Friday.
Additionally to the effects of the weather on running dogs, one of the judges slipped and fell breaking her arm in two places. To her credit she has soldiered on through the pain in order to make the event happen.
Hopefully none of you keyboard warriors have suffered a broken arm {or a hangnail} that makes it painful to man your keyboards :)

These folks have donated two weeks of their life to make this event happen.....what contributions have you second guessers made?

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
These folks have donated two weeks of their life to make this event happen.....what contributions have you second guessers made?
Thanks for the inside scoop and for your time and efforts Marc.
I don't think anyone means to criticize the judges or anyone involved with the event. A friend of mine is there. I have been talking to him daily and he has nothing but good things to say about everyone there.

Bob Hayden cannot be thanked enough for his generosity for this and so many other events.

I am entered in the KC Am and looking forward to running on some of the best property in the country.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts