RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
81 - 100 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
I would say a big out of the area hunt or what I call a blankout handle when the dog doesn’t have a clue and is handled early because it had no recollection of the mark.
What I call a "Big Hunt" is a hunt out of the AOF.
A friend who is a very experienced judge once told me, a handle or big hunt, it makes no difference, the dog didn't mark the fall. He was speaking generally, not absolutely.

·
Registered
10,114 Posts
What I call a "Big Hunt" is a hunt out of the AOF.
A friend who is a very experienced judge once told me, a handle or big hunt, it makes no difference, the dog didn't mark the fall. He was speaking generally, not absolutely.
Some handles are better than some big hunts, much depends on the circumstances prior to the handle. Going to the area, hunting, failing to find, and leave handles are much better than handle to the area of the fall handles.

·
Registered
10,114 Posts
Dr. Ed,
Traditionally, what are the 8th and 9th series? They still haven’t used the Wood Duck pond or the water at Goose Pond (they can go as big as they want there.) If my memory is correct, when the NRC was here last time that’s what they did, a huge set up at Goose Pond for the 10th.
One more set of land marks and one more set of water marks and maybe some combination of land and water marks for the last 3 series. 8 could be a land quad or a combo land/water marks, 9 probably big water marks, and 10
big land quad with multiple fliers although they could flip 9 and 10

·
Registered
231 Posts
I’d like to hear what happened as well. Sometimes it’s attributed to the honor dog interfering with the running dog. Not sure what happened in this case
Yes, that is the one I am referring to.

I am guessing either the honor dog or somehow the "retired" gunners did something

·
Registered
231 Posts
This from a friend who is there
the photographer’s camera started clicking. Luke became interested in it and didn’t see the left retired or flyer.
Interesting. Thanks for the clarification and information.

I have seen way less distract a dog.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Fun observation but, I believe there are 7 female handlers pushing deep into this NRC! Very nice to see for the sport. Not sure how this compares to years prior.

Might have to go back and see what the ratio of guys to gals on the full 94 dogs.

·
Registered
10,114 Posts
Fun observation but, I believe there are 7 female handlers pushing deep into this NRC! Very nice to see for the sport. Not sure how this compares to years prior.

Might have to go back and see what the ratio of guys to gals on the full 94 dogs.
Maybe more meaningful for the health of the game what is the percentage of amateur handlers and how many of them are female. There professional female handlers by memory, Ty Rorem, Lynn Troy, and Luann Pleasant.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Maybe more meaningful for the health of the game what is the percentage of amateur handlers and how many of them are female. There professional female handlers by memory, Ty Rorem, Lynn Troy, and Luann Pleasant.
Best guess is around 22ish handlers are amateurs and probably 7-8 of those amateurs are women. I have a very short frame of reference but at first blush it seems more diverse than prior years.

·
Registered
10,114 Posts
Amateurs have generally been handlers of 1/4 to 1/3 of entries In the NRC. I don’t think the percentage of female handlers has changed much, just some new faces.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 · (Edited)
By my count, at the start of the event there were:

29 Total Amateurs
21 Male Amateur Handlers
8 Amateur Female Handlers

14 Total Female Handlers
8 Am Female Handlers
6 Pro Female Handlers

Here is a breakout of the female handlers for those interested