RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
101 - 120 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
I was told three dogs did not get wet on the water blind, those dogs are only a toe stub away from elimination.
If the line to the blind went through the water, wouldn't not getting wet be an automatic elimination for failing to challenge the blind? Or is previous work in the previous series considered so strongly that failure to get wet on a water blind isn't automatic elimination if the dog's previous series work was stellar?

Because each series is so difficult and it is such a long championship over many days, I can understand why the judges need to keep considering the totality of each dog's work. On the other hand, I have watched friends' dogs get booted out of a hunt test for failing to challenge the blind.

Just asking.

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
If the line to the blind went through the water, wouldn't not getting wet be an automatic elimination for failing to challenge the blind? Or is previous work in the previous series considered so strongly that failure to get wet on a water blind isn't automatic elimination if the dog's previous series work was stellar?

Because each series is so difficult and it is such a long championship over many days, I can understand why the judges need to keep considering the totality of each dog's work. On the other hand, I have watched friends' dogs get booted out of a hunt test for failing to challenge the blind.

Just asking.
It is kind of a tradition at Nationals, to avoid dropping many dogs on the blinds

·
Registered
973 Posts
It is kind of a tradition at Nationals, to avoid dropping many dogs on the blinds
I agree, but I do not recall a single USA or CDN National in which no dogs were dropped on all blinds!

·
Registered
10,114 Posts
I don’t think it is traditional at all, it is an individual judge decision. A failure is a failure and I think should be handled accordingly. If blinds don’t matter why waste 40% of the trial on them. I know more than a few former National judges who agree with me, two of whom I judged with. Generally time constraints affect the first and sometimes second land blind but at least one, preferably two blinds in the trial should be at the minimum a weekend Open blind quality.

·
Registered
973 Posts
I don’t think it is traditional at all, it is an individual judge decision. A failure is a failure and I think should be handled accordingly. If blinds don’t matter why waste 40% of the trial on them. I know more than a few former National judges who agree with me, two of whom I judged with. Generally time constraints affect the first and sometimes second land blind but at least one, preferably two blinds in the trial should be at the minimum a weekend Open blind quality.
You are right Ed, in that Traditional is probably not the best word. Perhaps, it should be the word customary or commonplace since it is often said that Nationals are won by marking! Also as you well know, often blinds at Nationals, especially water blinds, are quite different than many all-age weekend blinds. This is especially true in the USA Nationals where judges with huge entries seldom have time for long time -consuming water blinds. Often National water blinds involve relatively little water. Although that can make the blind very challenging it’s not like a weekend blind! And, yes, blinds are an important part and should be judged and at the VERY least considered when picking the winner, I believe the National winner should always be the best all around dog and grievous blind behaviour should not be ignored despite good marks.

·
Registered
10,114 Posts
You are right Ed, in that Traditional is probably not the best word. Perhaps, it should be the word customary or commonplace since it is often said that Nationals are won by marking! Also as you well know, often blinds at Nationals, especially water blinds, are quite different than many all-age weekend blinds. This is especially true in the USA Nationals where judges with huge entries seldom have time for long time -consuming water blinds. Often National water blinds involve relatively little water. Although that can make the blind very challenging it’s not like a weekend blind! And, yes, blinds are an important part and should be judged and at the VERY least considered when picking the winner, I believe the National winner should always be the best all around dog and grievous blind behaviour should not be ignored despite good marks.
I understand well the time constraints, I have been there at every level from worker to field trial chairman, from contestant to judge but a meaningful blind need not be a time consuming affair. Time efficiency on water blinds depends on a difficult entry which produces some pickups and a land route home. My single regret in 2018 we never had the time to do a National caliber land blind but we did have not one but two challenging water blinds and dogs with abject failures were dropped.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Well, well, well…the 8th series bloodbath hath shown it’s ugly face!!!

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Just waiting for someone to mention something about 'clean' series'... (having been on the receiving end of that 'correction')

I'd like to see Tucker win but it seems like a few dogs are sitting good!

·
Registered
9,637 Posts
If you go by the blog, there is a clear winner and a very close second BUT we all know not to do that!
I miss the days when there was someone who knew dogs doing the commenting.

101 - 120 of 139 Posts