RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Entries closed today at noon, with a total of 958 dogs entered. That won't be the number that actually will start on October 22............due to heat cycles and injuries etc. Most ever.

Hosted by Music City HRC.............just outside Nashville, TN.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Entries closed today at noon, with a total of 958 dogs entered. That won't be the number that actually will start on October 22............due to heat cycles and injuries etc. Most ever.

Hosted by Music City HRC.............just outside Nashville, TN.
That's more than five times the number of dogs enterred when I judged at the Mossy Oak Spring 2000 Grand!!

Good luck to all!!

Reactions: dorkweed

·
Registered
223 Posts
Less than half need to be running it in the first place. Less than 30% pass rate.
If my memory is correct after 20 years, we passed 13 out of 206 dogs enterred. Lots of 100 point dogs in the field, and the first water test chewed them up.

Good luck to the judges. It is extremely hard work, and the way it is formatted now, you only get to judge one marking test, and I guess an upland test to finish up.

Reactions: Gregg0211

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If my memory is correct after 20 years, we passed 13 out of 206 dogs enterred. Lots of 100 point dogs in the field, and the first water test chewed them up.

Good luck to the judges. It is extremely hard work, and the way it is formatted now, you only get to judge one marking test, and I guess an upland test to finish up.

This'll be my 3rd time judging Grand. Yep; you get a sore butt, at least I did/do from sitting for so long. Every chance I can, I'm up walking and stretching.

Watched a lot of great dogs in the prior 2 I judged.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts

I thought 100 Points dog was the bare minimum requirement

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't think it's sustainable. I think it will face the same problem as the Master National. There are very few venues that can support 1000 dog events.....

This is true!!

My home club, Wisill HRC, was the first club to host 6 flights of dogs in Fall 2019. Since then it's ballooned quickly. It's a good problem to have in a way.....................but logistically, it's getting too BIG, way too fast!!!! IMHO!!

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
Seem

Agreed
The obvious solution is raising the bar.
perhaps...I would imagine well over a third of the dogs will be dropped on the first day. I've heard stories of why dogs are dropped and those stories leave me somewhat perplexed. I guess you'd have to see it to believe it? LOL

Or perhaps make it an owner/handler event? Like hunt tests were intended? Not that I have anything against pros - I don't. I train with a HT pro pretty regular and consider him a good friend. The original intent of hunt tests was for hunters to go out and train their dogs to get ready for the hunting season. What is the percentage of owner/handler vs pro handled dog in the grand or the master national?

·
Registered
119 Posts
perhaps...I would imagine well over a third of the dogs will be dropped on the first day. I've heard stories of why dogs are dropped and those stories leave me somewhat perplexed. I guess you'd have to see it to believe it? LOL

Or perhaps make it an owner/handler event? Like hunt tests were intended? Not that I have anything against pros - I don't. I train with a HT pro pretty regular and consider him a good friend. The original intent of hunt tests was for hunters to go out and train their dogs to get ready for the hunting season. What is the percentage of owner/handler vs pro handled dog in the grand or the master national?
Dogs are dropped for NOT preforming at Grand standards.

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
Dogs are dropped for NOT preforming at Grand standards.
That was my point. Kinda hard to raise the standards any further than they currently are.

Besides, it seems like the current standards aren't much of a deterent??? What percentage of entries really have zero chance of passing? (shouldn't have entered cause they know the dog isn't ready, but want to 'take the chance')

Seems it's becoming a machine that needs to be recalibrated, perhaps??

having more than 2 per year (regional, for example), but limiting a dog to running only 2 seems like a potential possibility.

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
That was my point. Kinda hard to raise the standards any further than they currently are.

Besides, it seems like the current standards aren't much of a deterent??? What percentage of entries really have zero chance of passing? (shouldn't have entered cause they know the dog isn't ready, but want to 'take the chance')

Seems it's becoming a machine that needs to be recalibrated, perhaps??

having more than 2 per year (regional, for example), but limiting a dog to running only 2 seems like a potential possibility.
I’m not following. If it’s hard to raise the standards for qualification any higher than they are then why would qualified dogs have zero chance of passing?
I’ve never been to it but I’ve always heard good things about the Grand. Wouldn’t splitting it into multiple events make it a lot less “grand”?

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
Because people (pros) would simply train for the new 'higher' standards - unless you are talking about making all weekend tests as difficult as the grand is to pass? In which case, why then, run the grand? LOL.....

Currently you have to have your HRCH title to enter the grand. You have to have 200 ch points and 2 grand passes to earn the GRHRCH title. Even if they increased the requirement to having all 200 points before you could enter the grand, that would only 'delay' dogs from entering. It wouldn't decrease the numbers.

I still support the notion of the grand being O/H only. LOL..... won't happen of course.... that would probably decrease the entries by well over half....

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
Because people (pros) would simply train for the new 'higher' standards - unless you are talking about making all weekend tests as difficult as the grand is to pass? In which case, why then, run the grand? LOL...
I don’t see the problem with training to a higher standard. My question would be why aren’t you doing that already? For pros the answer is obvious. They would not be able to train as many dogs. For an amateur with 1, 2 maybe three dogs, there is no reason.
Pros and the amateurs alike should be training concepts and constantly challenging their dogs to the edge of their ability. Teaching a dog to pass tests is poor training IMO.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I could have entered this fall and it would have been nice I have a good friend that lives 2 miles from the site. After getting our hrch this year I didnt feel we were at Grand level control both me and the dog. We failed two finished tests one being the day after he got his seasoned title last year and I didnt finish the blind the other I didnt blow the whistle fast enough on a short angle in bird I let him get in trouble it was our second test this spring. Even though I think doing the work we could do it the line manners are just a little loose and at two years old we have plenty of time to work on it and I dont want to just go pass by the skin of our teeth. Plus its hunting season and pretty hard for me to take a week off. Maybe this spring .

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
The Grand has grown and will continue to grow. When the limit of 12 dogs per handler turned into unlimited dogs per handler, the stage was set for a massive increase in entries. Seems like that is what the Grand Committee wanted.

There are certain to be growing pains. There are fewer and fewer places that can accommodate the ever increasing numbers of dogs. Paul made that point very clearly. Also labor (bird boys and volunteers) will become a greater challenge. At a lot of weekend tests, I see labor shortages and the accompanying problems that causes.

Music City will rise to the occasion and it will be a great event.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts