RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
9,687 Posts
This upland is the most asinine part of any retriever hunting test. Why is it necessary? I absolutely do not want my dog quartering and hunting. A duck hunting retriever has zero business switching over to upland.

This is a video of Flinch on her first day ( first bird) of sit to flush. First time in a controlled upland training session. She had already obtained her HRCH, and MH.

This next video, is same day, a bird or two later. Notice she beats the whistle to “SIT” It didn’t take long till no whistle was necessary. She was never “burned” on a bird to sit. She already had a really good “sit” standard, ran pretty nice blinds, steady at the line at her HT’s

The way I waterfowl hunt isn’t typical! I don’t sit in a blind, set decoys ect.. We jump shoot irrigation canals, and warm water sloughs on cold winter days. She must be very obedient, quiet, and as we climb the canal bank to jump pre spotted birds, or sneak up on birds resting in a slough, I want her to sit when birds flush.

I never persued the Upland title, I just trained my dog for my requirements.

A trained hunting companion..

·
Registered
195 Posts
I am curious how marks and blinds are judged, and what eliminates the team.
Does a score of 1 mean your likely eliminated?
How are marks judged?
As an example, this dog had a big hunt on the first memory bird in the water at 43 yards.
Would this performance likely be scored as a 2 and the team goes on to the next series?
Chris' dog would have received twos if I were judging. Each set of judges work together to determine a fall area- that is difficult if the conditions change. Wind can move that bird around some in the field so as judges, you have to know where every bird fell. I've judged a series where determining a fall area and a hunt area were very simple due to land marks in the site. It can be difficult if a bird is in a field for instance without noticeable land marks.

So, after determining a "hunt area", a dog is expected to proceed directly to the area of the fall and establish a hunt. If the dog leaves the area, we started a count. I counted one one thousand etc to four. I literally held my hand up for each count. When I got to four, my co-judge would ask the handler to put his dog on the bird. If the dog returned to the fall area before I finished the count, there was no penalty and the count stopped. If you are told to handle, a 1 is the best you can get on that series. If the dog doesn't handle well or has a marginal blind etc, you get a score of zero and the dog is done for that grand. That's what makes the grand so dog gone hard. A dog has to be near perfect for two land series and two water series and then complete the upland. So, for each series, you have three marks, a blind and either an honor or a diversion bird. You can have only one marginal (1's) in a series. If you have marginal marks and a marginal blind, the result is a score of zero and the dog is out. Or...you could handle on a mark, line the blind, and have a clean diversion bird or honor and survive with a score of 1's. However, you can only have one set of 1's. Any other marginal score and the dog will be out. Once the upland starts, all scores are thrown out and you start over. So, having 1's in a series has no effect on the upland. The upland is simply pass or fail.

·
Registered
327 Posts
This is a video of Flinch on her first day ( first bird) of sit to flush. First time in a controlled upland training session. She had already obtained her HRCH, and MH.

This next video, is same day, a bird or two later. Notice she beats the whistle to “SIT” It didn’t take long till no whistle was necessary. She was never “burned” on a bird to sit. She already had a really good “sit” standard, ran pretty nice blinds, steady at the line at her HT’s

The way I waterfowl hunt isn’t typical! I don’t sit in a blind, set decoys ect.. We jump shoot irrigation canals, and warm water sloughs on cold winter days. She must be very obedient, quiet, and as we climb the canal bank to jump pre spotted birds, or sneak up on birds resting in a slough, I want her to sit when birds flush.

I never persued the Upland title, I just trained my dog for my requirements.

A trained hunting companion..
Very cool! I have been a part of jump shooting over the years, mainly on geese, but I see the need for your dogs skill set. Thanks for the cool videos!

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Chris' dog would have received twos if I were judging. Each set of judges work together to determine a fall area- that is difficult if the conditions change. Wind can move that bird around some in the field so as judges, you have to know where every bird fell. I've judged a series where determining a fall area and a hunt area were very simple due to land marks in the site. It can be difficult if a bird is in a field for instance without noticeable land marks.

So, after determining a "hunt area", a dog is expected to proceed directly to the area of the fall and establish a hunt. If the dog leaves the area, we started a count. I counted one one thousand etc to four. I literally held my hand up for each count. When I got to four, my co-judge would ask the handler to put his dog on the bird. If the dog returned to the fall area before I finished the count, there was no penalty and the count stopped. If you are told to handle, a 1 is the best you can get on that series. If the dog doesn't handle well or has a marginal blind etc, you get a score of zero and the dog is done for that grand. That's what makes the grand so dog gone hard. A dog has to be near perfect for two land series and two water series and then complete the upland. So, for each series, you have three marks, a blind and either an honor or a diversion bird. You can have only one marginal (1's) in a series. If you have marginal marks and a marginal blind, the result is a score of zero and the dog is out. Or...you could handle on a mark, line the blind, and have a clean diversion bird or honor and survive with a score of 1's. However, you can only have one set of 1's. Any other marginal score and the dog will be out. Once the upland starts, all scores are thrown out and you start over. So, having 1's in a series has no effect on the upland. The upland is simply pass or fail.
I would've judged it the same. (y) Didn't really care for the mark though. I don't want to de-train the dogs.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Because people (pros) would simply train for the new 'higher' standards - unless you are talking about making all weekend tests as difficult as the grand is to pass? In which case, why then, run the grand? LOL.....

Currently you have to have your HRCH title to enter the grand. You have to have 200 ch points and 2 grand passes to earn the GRHRCH title. Even if they increased the requirement to having all 200 points before you could enter the grand, that would only 'delay' dogs from entering. It wouldn't decrease the numbers.

I still support the notion of the grand being O/H only. LOL..... won't happen of course.... that would probably decrease the entries by well over half....
You are required to have 2 grand passes and 300 points to achieve a Grand title.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
It kinda is, cause I believe each Grand pass is worth 50 pts
yes - I just looked it up... a grand pass is worth 40 points. therefore 80 of the required 300 is as a result of passing the grand twice, meaning a dog needs 220 points (mostly in finished level tests, but I believe a few can be from passing started and seasoned as well)

From the rules

This hunt test is for Hunting Retriever Champion (HRCH). It duplicates actual hunting conditions found throughout the country. The successful completion of two of these Grand tests valued at 40 points each (80 points) along with an accumulation of 120 additional points after earning the Hunting Retriever Champion Title for a total of 300 points, will qualify a Hunting Retriever Champion for the UKC title of Grand Hunting Retriever Champion

61 - 71 of 71 Posts