RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
201 - 220 of 397 Posts

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I think coverage gets people interested and the drone footage was nice. Lots complain about no new blood coming into the sport, A lot of things like good coverage and the drone footage that could be put on FB get people interested but get squashed. They could easily do the interviews and drone footage for each series and not put it out until that series is over for those worried about an unfair advantage.

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
He will but might run last
looks like he is running first. I guess being a new day, it really doesn't matter.

When judges do this - scrap a test. Do they try to make the test very different from the one they scrapped? Or are they just trying to have a blind that is not going to interfere with their remaining series?

·
Registered
746 Posts
looks like he is running first. I guess being a new day, it really doesn't matter.

When judges do this - scrap a test. Do they try to make the test very different from the one they scrapped? Or are they just trying to have a blind that is not going to interfere with their remaining series?
Given the 6th is a land/water quad on a different property doesn't seem to matter now. All gas. . . no break. May be a combined 7th/8th land water double blind after this?

·
Registered
168 Posts

Since it’s now a land/water quad I’d say very different

·
Registered
10,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #207 ·

The scrapped land blind was planned as the last test on a property they will not return to, doing so and then moving would cost a minimum of 2 hours. They would not start a day with a land blind on a new area, they will shoehorn the LB somewhere along the way, perhaps a double blind as Peter suggested. Time is the single biggest factor that drives a National. They will do well to finish a land/water quad today, if it’s an 8 or 9 minute test they will finish in time to run a blind this afternoon.

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
Given the 6th is a land/water quad on a different property doesn't seem to matter now. All gas. . . no break. May be a combined 7th/8th land water double blind after this?
Given that the 6th is when it traditionally starts to "get real", maybe they won't need or want any more answers from 7-8-9 & 10. :unsure:

·
Registered
10,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #209 ·
Given that the 6th is when it traditionally starts to "get real", maybe they won't need or want any more answers from 7-8-9 & 10. :unsure:
I certainly would not anticipate a challenging blind, they will probably just fulfill the requirements and not much more. They still have some very talented dogs to sort through with 3 sets of marks. I was shocked that they called back 7 dogs with 2 handles on 3 sets of marks. 😳🤔

·
Registered
6,545 Posts
I certainly would not anticipate a challenging blind, they will probably just fulfill the requirements and not much more. They still have some very talented dogs to sort through with 3 sets of marks. I was shocked that they called back 7 dogs with 2 handles on 3 sets of marks. 😳🤔
I thought there were "only" six. Whether six or seven, I remain appalled at this break with tradition.

Reactions: saltgrass

·
Registered
10,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #211 ·
I thought there were "only" six. Whether six or seven, I remain appalled at this break with tradition.
I was told there is a 7th that the Blog did not identify as a H
And if you think that’s weird how about only one porta potty yesterday 😳

·
Registered
10,112 Posts
I find it interesting that 11 dogs have not handled & it's only been mentioned once on this thread.
I'll wait for the comments when one of those that possibly SHH is dropped after the 2nd handle.

Reactions: drunkenpoacher

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
I was told there is a 7th that the Blog did not identify as a H
That's a shortcoming, I can say with great pride, that "we" never had in the one national I've been, at best, semi-peripherally, minutely, minisculely, involved with. Even had hot running water! Named one of my current dogs after the purveyor of such personal needs luxury!

MG

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
If it was at the farthest point in the field from the line it would have been the traditional placement for a weekend trial.

Reactions: J. Marti

·
Registered
816 Posts
I think coverage gets people interested and the drone footage was nice. Lots complain about no new blood coming into the sport, A lot of things like good coverage and the drone footage that could be put on FB get people interested but get squashed. They could easily do the interviews and drone footage for each series and not put it out until that series is over for those worried about an unfair advantage.
As EdA mentioned, I think it's still an issue of who does it? If I am Pat Burns (or anyone for that matter), I am not going to go to Oregon to stay in a hotel for 10+ days and "work" the event without being compensated. Or at a bare minimum, fully reimbursed for my expenses. I also don't think it is appropriate to ask any contestants to handle any of those duties unless they were just willing to do it.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
As EdA mentioned, I think it's still an issue of who does it? If I am Pat Burns (or anyone for that matter), I am not going to go to Oregon to stay in a hotel for 10+ days and "work" the event without being compensated. Or at a bare minimum, fully reimbursed for my expenses. I also don't think it is appropriate to ask any contestants to handle any of those duties unless they were just willing to do it.
Yeah, I am all in favor of paying travel expenses at minimum.

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
As a professional photographer - Mark Atwater gets money by selling his photos. Seems to me that a drone operator could (should be) allowed to do the same. Put the videos on a private youtube or vimeo channel and require payment to access it. These would be videos only of the test dogs, of course. I'd pay $30-50 to access it.... I cant imagine there wouldn't be at least 200 people willing to do the same. That amounts to 6-10K. Plenty to cover expenses and probably way more.

201 - 220 of 397 Posts