RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
221 - 240 of 397 Posts

·
Registered
839 Posts
As a professional photographer - Mark Atwater gets money by selling his photos. Seems to me that a drone operator could (should be) allowed to do the same. Put the videos on a private youtube or vimeo channel and require payment to access it. These would be videos only of the test dogs, of course. I'd pay $30-50 to access it.... I cant imagine there wouldn't be at least 200 people willing to do the same. That amounts to 6-10K. Plenty to cover expenses and probably way more.
You'd pay $50 to see drone footage of a test dog?
Give me a call if you are interested in a great deal on some prime oceanfront property in Arizona

·
Registered
839 Posts
As a professional photographer - Mark Atwater gets money by selling his photos. Seems to me that a drone operator could (should be) allowed to do the same. Put the videos on a private youtube or vimeo channel and require payment to access it. These would be videos only of the test dogs, of course. I'd pay $30-50 to access it.... I cant imagine there wouldn't be at least 200 people willing to do the same. That amounts to 6-10K. Plenty to cover expenses and probably way more.
Also if we are going to pony up $10,000 for the guy running the joysticks of the drone, how much do we then pay the Marshalls, gunners, throwers, blind planters, judges, set up crew, announcers, blog posters, photagraphers artist, judges, hospitality crew, etc etc.

Because without them there is nothing for the drone to film.
People think $400 entry fees are high, regards

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Also if we are going to pony up $10,000 for the guy running the joysticks of the drone, how much do we then pay the Marshalls, gunners, throwers, blind planters, judges, set up crew, announcers, blog posters, photagraphers artist, judges, hospitality crew, etc etc.

so Mark Atwater is working the event for free? Because if he is, why did I pay for one of the images he took at the national? inquiring minds and all.

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
You'd pay $50 to see drone footage of a test dog?
Give me a call if you are interested in a great deal on some prime oceanfront property in Arizona
for footage of the entire event. yes. Not for a single series, obviously. I cannot afford to fly there and stay for the week, maybe you can.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts

I don't know how all that pans out. However, in HTs judges travel expenses are paid along with a nice gift. Bird boys are paid typically and in some cases given the opportunity to make money by selling lunches if they are from an organization.

Somehow the SRS manages some coverage but the biggest event of the year can't even get some commentary?

I don't really care either way but I hear all the time about how the sport is dying and all the competitors are aging.

I just think it would be worth while to explore some ideas on creating more coverage. The blog is amazing but only good for those who already have a lot of interest and/or know dogs running.

Reactions: Tobias

·
Registered
839 Posts
so Mark Atwater is working the event for free? Because if he is, why did I pay for one of the images he took at the national? inquiring minds and all.
Where did I say Mark Atwater is working for free? He is the hardest working man I know and an amazing shutterbug. I remember him being set up in the water at and SRS Crown I was running a decade or so ago. He got some amazing shots of my dog barreling through some swampy reedy water he was set up in. It was hot and humid and took all day to run. After the series was was over I went over and helped him get him and his stuff. packed out.. I commented on what an ordeal that was and his reply was something to the effect that his waders served a "dual purpose"
THAT IS DEDICATION !!

·
Registered
10,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #229 ·
Why waste energy arguing about something that’s never going to happen. Remember AKC’s video coverage? How long did that last?

·
Registered
839 Posts
I don't know how all that pans out. However, in HTs judges travel expenses are paid along with a nice gift. Bird boys are paid typically and in some cases given the opportunity to make money by selling lunches if they are from an organization.

Somehow the SRS manages some coverage but the biggest event of the year can't even get some commentary?

I don't really care either way but I hear all the time about how the sport is dying and all the competitors are aging.

I just think it would be worth while to explore some ideas on creating more coverage. The blog is amazing but only good for those who already have a lot of interest and/or know dogs running.
You are comparing apples to oranges
This isn't a HT, It is the NARC
HT's and weekend FT's hire BB's, blind planters, the National AM & Open don''t.

The SRS/ESPN Great Outdoor games were basically started as made for TV events.
Shannon Nardi was the driving force behind the televised aspect. She diverted to filming Bass fishing events with her dad. I personally would love to see her or someone pick that ball up again
I won the largest one ever held, and somewhere have a copy of the VCR tape of that event.
I agree with you that they were good for and created great interest in dog games for a whole new {relatively} Huge demographic.

·
Registered
10,112 Posts
As EdA mentioned, I think it's still an issue of who does it? If I am Pat Burns (or anyone for that matter), I am not going to go to Oregon to stay in a hotel for 10+ days and "work" the event without being compensated. Or at a bare minimum, fully reimbursed for my expenses. I also don't think it is appropriate to ask any contestants to handle any of those duties unless they were just willing to do it.
I find it interesting that the Editor of Retriever News lives in Scotland. (The Country)

• Wow
Reactions: RETRVER

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
You are comparing apples to oranges
This isn't a HT, It is the NARC
HT's and weekend FT's hire BB's, blind planters, the National AM & Open don''t.

The SRS/ESPN Great Outdoor games were basically started as made for TV events.
Shannon Nardi was the driving force behind the televised aspect. She diverted to filming Bass fishing events with her dad. I personally would love to see her or someone pick that ball up again
I won the largest one ever held, and somewhere have a copy of the VCR tape of that event.
I agree with you that they were good for and created great interest in dog games for a whole new {relatively} Huge demographic.
Thats exactly my point, a measly weekend HT can pay BBs but the National event can't compensate some travel expenses for someone to cover it or fly a drone?

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
The callbacks to the 7th will be very interesting. Strictly talking about “H” (handles) does a handle in series 6 get called back if 2nd H. Do those previously with 2 H’s get dropped? We’ll just have to wait and see.

·
Registered
10,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #235 ·
The callbacks to the 7th will be very interesting. Strictly talking about “H” (handles) does a handle in series 6 get called back if 2nd H. Do those previously with 2 H’s get dropped? We’ll just have to wait and see.
You just nailed the BIG question, having established that handling on 2 marks is acceptable what happens to the dogs here who had three good marks and their 2nd handle? Or how about the dogs here who have 2 bad birds plus their first handle?

·
Registered
10,112 Posts
If PU's go on at the present rate there is not a lot of need to drop anyone who got all the birds.

·
Registered
10,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #240 ·
If PU's go on at the present rate there is not a lot of need to drop anyone who got all the birds.
They already have kinda, they’ve had the guns come out for more than one dog after getting 3 good and starting to handle never allowing the dog to get the fourth bird. So you’re going to call back dogs that have a 3rd handle but got all 4 birds? Very inconsistent

221 - 240 of 397 Posts