RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 188 Posts

· Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Figured it was about time to make one for it. 93 dogs back to the 3rd. 2 pick ups and 2 dropped in the 1st and 2nd. Per my phone current temp is 30 with a high of 42. Light and variable winds.

· Registered
10,611 Posts
What's all that white stuff?

· Registered
1,281 Posts
27 this morning. Frank ran early. Unfortunately I can't get there until Thursday.

· Registered
1,348 Posts
Sounds like Frank did well. Did you see Rob smiling after Rain picked up that walking quacker? You know his dogs know island birds. Good luck Jeff. I hope he's still playing when you get there.

· Registered
641 Posts
The test held up pretty well all day. Wind started blowing from bird to gun this morning and later switched more downwind. Several dogs missed middle bird and drove long. Many dogs hunted around blind on long bird and expanded hunt to area behind gun. Didn't seem to make much difference about scenting conditions with melting snow. Sometimes birds were hard to see being hen mallards and back lit from the sun.

Reactions: Judd

· Registered
20 Posts
The test held up pretty well all day. Wind started blowing from bird to gun this morning and later switched more downwind. Several dogs missed middle bird and drove long. Many dogs hunted around blind on long bird and expanded hunt to area behind gun. Didn't seem to make much difference about scenting conditions with melting snow. Sometimes birds were hard to see being hen mallards and back lit from the sun.
thanks for the feedback Brooks!

· Registered
11,077 Posts
The 4th Series Blind! Thoughts? I know that if I have to send a dog, then run up on a steep mound, I’m going to fall.
It is certainly not older handler friendly as are sending lines on side hills or slopes. These were not things that ever occurred to me until I became that handler. As I once posted blinds should not be about handler agility, when you must have the wind of a tuba player, the balance of a dancer, and the speed of a sprinter to run a blind we have lost our way. 😉

· Registered
142 Posts
It is certainly not older handler friendly as are sending lines on side hills or slopes. These were not things that ever occurred to me until I became that handler. As I once posted blinds should not be about handler agility, when you must have the wind of a tuba player, the balance of a dancer, and the speed of a sprinter to run a blind we have lost our way. 😉
My mother would always ask me “why can’t you sit in a chair as pretty as you sit on a horse?” Because I spent so many years riding my toes point out & I can’t walk without tripping.

· Registered
641 Posts
As I checked out the line to the blind, you start from flat ground, the dog traverses over the bottom edge of the mound. You can see the dog at all times, you don't have to sprint up on the mound. Most people walk up mound to see the dog better in the water. Very doable blind.

· Registered
142 Posts
I was looking at 2021-NRC Callback Series #’s. Please keep in mind we are having a bit of a snowstorm here in Minnesota, I’m not braving the elements today. My question is, “if a dog picks up the Bird during this 4th Series Blind, will they be Called-Back?” How bad do you have to suck to be done?

· Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I was looking at 2021-NRC Callback Series #’s. Please keep in mind we are having a bit of a snowstorm here in Minnesota, I’m not braving the elements today. My question is, “if a dog picks up the Bird during this 4th Series Blind, will they be Called-Back?” How bad do you have to suck to be done?
Typically 2 bad birds from what I’ve heard said In the past. Not sure what kind of precedent was set by this past nat am though. Hopefully none.

· Registered
11,077 Posts
If the descriptions are accurate I would be surprised if anyone was dropped. Since there was no entry issue because of angles and terrain the dogs probably didn’t see the water until they were there and I think the sluice helps them get in. It is essentially a land blind across a channel at a right angle.

Reactions: Gregg0211

· Registered
11,077 Posts
Typically 2 bad birds from what I’ve heard said In the past. Not sure what kind of precedent was set by this past nat am though. Hopefully none.
Generally and historically two significant mistakes will almost always get you dropped unless your first mistake happens in a series they plan to make a cut, then you are in jeopardy. Look for a big cut after the fifth series which is historically a land quad. All judges have their own criteria, as a group in 2018 we agreed that we wanted handlers to wonder why they were back not why they were dropped.

· Registered
1,946 Posts
All judges have their own criteria, as a group in 2018 we agreed that we wanted handlers to wonder why they were back not why they were dropped.
It’s always enjoyable to run under judges that set up challenging tests and have this attitude.

Reactions: Gary M

· Registered
188 Posts
People should try doing while sitting on 4 wheels at 4’4”. I’m rarely not disadvantaged on AA blinds but the best solution has been to practice from less than ideal lines and have a real team player dog who will come back when she can’t see me. I’ve never complained at a trial when I can’t see my dog on blinds and I almost go home happy if we both gave it 100%. I can’t imagine being at a National but I like to believe that real feat was getting there and there will always be some luck involved…..wheelchair or not.

· Registered
2,894 Posts
People should try doing while sitting on 4 wheels at 4’4”. I’m rarely not disadvantaged on AA blinds but the best solution has been to practice from less than ideal lines and have a real team player dog who will come back when she can’t see me. I’ve never complained at a trial when I can’t see my dog on blinds and I almost go home happy if we both gave it 100%. I can’t imagine being at a National but I like to believe that real feat was getting there and there will always be some luck involved…..wheelchair or not.

So you handle from a wheel chair??? That's awesome, good for you!!

1 - 20 of 188 Posts