RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
181 - 188 of 188 Posts

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
In my experience that is just everyday field trials
I agree - at least for the ones I've been in. I haven't witnessed a national before now.... so that was the reason for the comment..... I suspect after a few series -- when the field has been cut down -- there is a sort of comraderie that takes place. Everyone wants to win, of course, but the fact that they are playing later in the trial seemed to give the handlers a bit more connection. Most anyway.

·
Registered
11,077 Posts
Good sportsmanship is a long standing tradition in field trials but not universal. The sport has had a few notable cheaters over the years. Sure, we root for our friends until it involves us then the essence of field trials emerges, get to the last series, hope your dog does well, then sit in the gallery and hope your buddies screw up.😉

·
Registered
7,303 Posts
A big part of the fun at Field trials is seeing good handlers and good dog work. Take that times 10 for those the train and handle their own dogs. Times 100 for those I train with. I just want to do a little bit better than all of them.

·
Registered
10,605 Posts
hope your dog does well, then sit in the gallery and hope your buddies screw up.😉
The golf quote "Is my friend in the rough or is the SOB on the green".

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
One thing that REALLY impressed me was how respectful and encouraging the handlers were to each other. The younger handlers especially so - There was aways a 'good luck' to the handler coming to the line as they left the line. They knelt down in the holding blinds if a dog was being handled on a mark, etc etc... Very neat to see and hear.
It's there at weekend trials but it's a lot more prevalent at a National. It's pretty cool at a National how all the handlers are pulling for each other. It's almost like us versus the judges/tests.

Reactions: Tobias

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Good sportsmanship is a long standing tradition in field trials but not universal. The sport has had a few notable cheaters over the years. Sure, we root for our friends until it involves us then the essence of field trials emerges, get to the last series, hope your dog does well, then sit in the gallery and hope your buddies screw up.😉
“Good luck” in field trials means “I hope you double handle.”

·
Registered
272 Posts
We have a saying in our training group "We're all friends 'til the 4th"

181 - 188 of 188 Posts