RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you had to pick a truck for a 8 box chassis mount what would you pick. Long bed or short bed. Regular or crew cab. 2500 or 3500. Gas or desiel. I am considering a chassis box in about a year currently have a trailer. I am going to buy the truck in the next three months. Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Depends on the chassie box aluminum or stainless? I would think a 3/4 ton would be more than enough for an aluminum box.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Just my $0.02 but I'd have a 3500 dually diesel - and I prefer the Duramax but the big 3 will are a horse a piece if they're all brand new...

3500 because if you're investing in a box it'll probably be stainless and they aren't light.

Diesel because of the same reason and you can't get beat the torque.

Long box because you'll never ever hear yourself say "man I got too much storage space"

Dual Rear Wheels (DRW vs SRW) because one blowout and you won't ask why - and - that much weight & hooking on to a trailer (even if it's little) to haul a wheeler... Yep give me the DRW.

Double cab - although you won't spend much time in the back seat what's the $ difference between an extended cab and a full double - when you're looking at the big picture it's a rounding error I'm guessing.

Again - just my $0.02 FWIW

SMO

·
Banned
3,787 Posts
Just my $0.02 but I'd have a 3500 dually diesel - and I prefer the Duramax but the big 3 will are a horse a piece if they're all brand new...

3500 because if you're investing in a box it'll probably be stainless and they aren't light.

Diesel because of the same reason and you can't get beat the torque.

Long box because you'll never ever hear yourself say "man I got too much storage space"

Dual Rear Wheels (DRW vs SRW) because one blowout and you won't ask why - and - that much weight & hooking on to a trailer (even if it's little) to haul a wheeler... Yep give me the DRW.

Double cab - although you won't spend much time in the back seat what's the $ difference between an extended cab and a full double - when you're looking at the big picture it's a rounding error I'm guessing.

Again - just my $0.02 FWIW

SMO
I agree.

90% of the boxes out there are made for a dually truck and for long boxes.

Diesel because depending on how many miles you put on the rig, you are not gonna want to take the box on and off for a long time (it can cost some bucks).

Full back seat, cause you are always gonna need more space.

1 ton, and you never have to worry about pulling a trailer behind you whether its light or heavy.

WRL

·
Registered
6,461 Posts
ditto on 1 ton dually with 4WD, much more stable and might not need additional suspension
Exactly what Ron Ainley told me..... even after I whined about not wanting a 1 ton...

·
Registered
358 Posts
We have one blm doggie. When we run Hunt Tests we put his crate in the Bed of our one Ton Dually. He might be a Little spoiled with the Gen, air, etc. But we think he's worth it!:D

·
Registered
51 Posts
Not sure about Ford and Chevy, but with dodge the only difference between the 2500 and the 3500 is an add-a-leaf spring on the rear axle. I think a guy could get one put on for around $250. I'm not a dully fan, but if I was looking at a chassis mount I would go dully for sure.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'll throw my $0.02 in also.

If I was buying a truck for a new dog box I would go with the one ton (3500) diesel. Just like others have stated you'll never find yourself saying wow I have too much power or too much space. When you have your new truck loaded down you'll be glad you spent the extra $$.

I believe there is more to a 3500 than a one leaf spring. I believe the one ton comes with Dana 80s (1 ton) instead of Dana 60s (3/4 ton) rear ends.
But like I said before thisis just my opinion. I hope this was helpful.

·
Registered
9,781 Posts
Another issue to consider is warranty, I recall someone with a chasis mount on a 3/4 ton going to court because the dealer denied warranty service on some part of the powertrain because the chasis mount exceeded the manufacturer's recommended carrying capacity for that vehicle.

·
Registered
6,429 Posts
I have had a one ton Ford, single rear axle, and a one ton GMC dual rear axle. Six hole Ainley chassis mount on both with aluminum frame and stainless steel skin

Had to add springs to both one ton chassis mounts to get the ride height and quality that I wanted.

I thought the SRW was squirrelly at speed, and rolled it over on the way home from the 2011 National Amateur.

When I went to replace my truck, I got a DRW one ton. Would never get a SRW again for chassis mount

·
Registered
358 Posts
The downside of the DRW is that you will drop fuel mileage over a SRW. In the research ive done its close to 1 mpg difference. Also when going diesel try to find something with
taller gearing, i have 3:73's but my buddy has the identical truck with 3:43 's and gets approx 2 mpg better than i do and the Diesel has more than enough power to off set the taller gears

·
Registered
31 Posts
I bought a used eight hole chassis mount and truck two years ago. It is a F250 extended cab diesel. My Ainley dog box is just like Ted's except there's a dog box in the place where his most forward closet is placed. I often tow a 25 foot travel trailer too. I have survived a rear tire blow out on the freeway. My next truck will be a one ton dually. Although I have had no issues with pulling my trailer, I do agree with Ted, that the truck feels a bit light at higher speeds and I think a dually would alleviate that issue.

·
Registered
32 Posts
We are getting our chassis mount this week at Ainley. I talked to a few people before buying the truck. All of them said to get a dually, for many of the same reasons listed above. We bought a F350 dually and I’m sure we are going to be happy with it.

Looking forward to the trip to Iowa this week!

Kyle

1 - 14 of 14 Posts