RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 3 year old lab who has been my dog since he was 8 weeks old. He respects me, loves me and listens to me. But I don't feel like I did enough prep for him to hunt with me, I really have the time now to spend with him that I really didn't have a while ago. I know that's kind of bad to say but my situation is just a lot better now. He knows some basic obedience and has the Desire to get anything I throw to him on the water. Not so much on land, unless it's in my back yard. Don't really know why that is but it's true. I would love to get him kind of up to speed in terms of just hunting with me. I wanted to know what most of you think, either way he is my boy and if you say he's going to be to old to really do anything with I'll be perfectly fine. I would just lovvvvveeee for him to be a good hunting dog.

Thanks for your time,

Pierce

·
Registered
5,248 Posts
I have a 3 year old lab who has been my dog since he was 8 weeks old. He respects me, loves me and listens to me. But I don't feel like I did enough prep for him to hunt with me,.... I would just lovvvvveeee for him to be a good hunting dog.

Thanks for your time,

Pierce
Suspicions like that are usually born out to be true. Are you willing to take the time to do it for him while you still can? It will probably take 6-8 months to put this dog through a full course of formal Basics. You'll always be glad you did. You may always regret it if you don't.

The components of Basics in order

1) “Here”
2) “Heel & Sit”
3) “Hold”; automatically evolves to Walking “Hold, Heel, Sit”
4) “Fetch”; ear pinch, which evolves into Walking “Fetch” & “Fetch-no-fetch”, e-collar conditioning to “Fetch”
5) Pile work, including Mini-pile, Nine bumper pile; AKA Force to pile
6) 3-handed casting; teaching the 3 basic casts – “Back” and both “Over’s”, including 2-hands “Back”
7) Mini tee; includes collar conditioning to all basic commands, transferring to the go, stop, cast functions in micro dimension as preparation for the Single tee. Also includes De-bolting
8) Single tee
9) Double tee
10) Water force, Water tee with Swim-by

Evan

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your response and yes I am willing to put in the effort. Do you have a suggestion on training programs or videos? He deserves to be all that he can be because he honestly is such an awesome dog.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Funny thing is as soon as I wrote that reply. I remembered when I use to get on here all the time he answered a lot of my questions. Then I was like hang on, I'm pretty sure thats the guy who authored Smartworks. So I guess I'll go with smart works. Anybody else got some suggestions on supplies I might not have that I need.

I have a Ecollar, lots of bumpers, a couple dokkens and a choke collar. That's about it

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
I send you a pm with the name and number of someone in North Augusta who may be able to offer you good advice and guidance if you can sweet talk him into it.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I send you a pm with the name and number of someone in North Augusta who may be able to offer you good advice and guidance if you can sweet talk him into it.

That would be awesome my girlfriends family has been in NA for their whole lives so maybe they will no each other. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Dude, as I also recall you reached out to me a few years ago as well to help with this dog. We will be in Waynesboro, Georgia this weekend not more the 30 minutes from where you are training dogs with the MidLands HR Club. You are welcome to come out and bring the dog with you. Glad things are more settled for you. - Brian

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Dude, as I also recall you reached out to me a few years ago as well to help with this dog. We will be in Waynesboro, Georgia this weekend not more the 30 minutes from where you are training dogs with the MidLands HR Club. You are welcome to come out and bring the dog with you. Glad things are more settled for you. - Brian

Brian,

I really appreciate the invite and I wish I was going to be home. But as of Thursday Me, Rhett and My girlfriend will be in Seaside, Fl putting back a few Coronas on the beach. But when I get home I would love to hook up and get something worked about.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
I have a 3 year old lab who has been my dog since he was 8 weeks old. He respects me, loves me and listens to me. But I don't feel like I did enough prep for him to hunt with me, I really have the time now to spend with him that I really didn't have a while ago. I know that's kind of bad to say but my situation is just a lot better now. He knows some basic obedience and has the Desire to get anything I throw to him on the water. Not so much on land, unless it's in my back yard. Don't really know why that is but it's true. I would love to get him kind of up to speed in terms of just hunting with me. I wanted to know what most of you think, either way he is my boy and if you say he's going to be to old to really do anything with I'll be perfectly fine. I would just lovvvvveeee for him to be a good hunting dog.

Thanks for your time,

Pierce
Do that back and you will have a good dog that will become a good hunting companion. Understand the weak and strong points, understand that he is trying to do his best, and watch when he is confused(sp) and above all....be fair. Remember that you are a team to enjoy hunting together in the future.:)

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Funny thing is as soon as I wrote that reply. I remembered when I use to get on here all the time he answered a lot of my questions. Then I was like hang on, I'm pretty sure thats the guy who authored Smartworks. So I guess I'll go with smart works. Anybody else got some suggestions on supplies I might not have that I need.

I have a Ecollar, lots of bumpers, a couple dokkens and a choke collar. That's about it
Well, you're on your way other than a long lead/rope and, especially if he hasn't had them much or at all, birds. Pigeons or, preferably mallards. And take folks up on the offer(s) to join training days/groups. My dog and I wouldn't be anywhere near where we are if it weren't for the training partner I met here on the RTF over 5 years ago.

3 is no where near too old. It will take time and commitment on your part but as others have said, you'll be glad you did.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts