RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Sunday night my son was eating some ribs, he dropped one on the floor, by the time I got out of my seat and grabbed the pup she swallowed the entire thing whole. It was really a matter of 4 seconds and it was gone.

I didn't give the rib to my son so I really didn't know how big it was. I just watched her to make sure she seemed ok, IE eating, pooping, no pains.

Well last night she was having the squirts. I woke up this morning to the most god awful smell in her crate. It was covered in poo.

After cleaning it out I found a 2" rip bone she passed it. I was amazed and horrified at the same time by the size of the bone.

Thank god she passed it, with that is there anything I need to worry about, poo was a brown color so I don't think she had any bleeding.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Yeah use a better sauce on your ribs next time. It won't be the last time your dog gets a rib bone.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I've never had this problem, so I can be of no help really. The only thing that I can say is that I don't allow my dogs near the table while we eat. I don't even allow them out if I'm eating ice cream on the couch. They're either in the laundry room, outside, or in their crates. It's what I teach them as puppies. I worry too much to let them around while I eat. What if that had been a big chocolate bar or a slab of bacon? That's my thinking. Ive just always made my mutts go away while I eat. My time is my time. They get to be man's best friend when im not eating.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've never had this problem, so I can be of no help really. The only thing that I can say is that I don't allow my dogs near the table while we eat. I don't even allow them out if I'm eating ice cream on the couch. They're either in the laundry room, outside, or in their crates. It's what I teach them as puppies. I worry too much to let them around while I eat. What if that had been a big chocolate bar or a slab of bacon? That's my thinking. Ive just always made my mutts go away while I eat. My time is my time. They get to be man's best friend when im not eating.
Good for you and if that works for you great. Do you have kids? What is wrong with Bacon and dogs?

I have three and what I have found is my time is not my time, very little time is actually my time. My time is work, kids, dogs, wife. My wife and I are lucky when we get an hour or two at night for each other, when we say lucky with that I mean lucky that we both actually have enough energy to actually speak to each other instead of zooning out on the Tube.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Good for you and if that works for you great. Do you have kids? What is wrong with Bacon and dogs?

I have three and what I have found is my time is not my time, very little time is actually my time. My time is work, kids, dogs, wife. My wife and I are lucky when we get an hour or two at night for each other, when we say lucky with that I mean lucky that we both actually have enough energy to actually speak to each other instead of zooning out on the Tube.
I was by no means criticizing you by the way. Just stating what I do. My age is kind of a prohibiting factor for me having kids. You can feel free to stop jumping my sh** any time now.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I was by no means criticizing you by the way. Just stating what I do. My age is kind of a prohibiting factor for me having kids. You can feel free to stop jumping my sh** any time now.
Your statement helped no one out.....good for you that your dog stays away from the table but the op obviously didn't intend for the kid to hand the dog a bone. People like you are the reason why online forums are so frustrating. I'm not even the guy posting this and I took your comment as insulting to someones intelligence.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Your statement helped no one out.....good for you that your dog stays away from the table but the op obviously didn't intend for the kid to hand the dog a bone. People like you are the reason why online forums are so frustrating. I'm not even the guy posting this and I took your comment as insulting to someones intelligence.
Maybe should read more carefully then.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Simmer down there. I am just telling you how my life is, you gave your side I gave mine I didn't jump down you.

Having a dog aroudn the house is part of what it is about. Stuff happens no one is the blame.

After smelling what I had to clean up this mornig you would be on edge also. I wanted to call it a day and start drinking.

·
Registered
16,825 Posts
Simmer down there. I am just telling you how my life is, you gave your side I gave mine I didn't jump down you.

Having a dog aroudn the house is part of what it is about. Stuff happens no one is the blame.

After smelling what I had to clean up this mornig you would be on edge also. I wanted to call it a day and start drinking.
I had a GR eat a sock once.

When he tried to "eliminate" only half the sock came out.
It was dangling.
I had to chase him down and finish the job.
Most unpleasant for all parties involved.
That dog wouldn't talk to me for days.:cool:

It could be worse!

Glad it all "worked out" so to speak!!;-)

stan b

·
Registered
6,516 Posts

It was dangling.

It could be worse!

stan b
Same deal here but it was a beagle and panty hose. :(

·
Registered
977 Posts
Petsitting and babysitting for my daughter and son-in-law, I didn't know the dog (lab) knew how to get into the trash. That dog ate the entire carcass of a roast chicken, leaving the rest of the trash all over the kitchen but absolutely not one scrap of that chicken. I was horrified and had visions of consoling the children as the dog suffered and died. We waited several days before giving up, never did find a scrap of bone in her poop. She never missed a beat, happy as could be. I was just happy I didn't kill the grandkid's dog.

Then again, this same dog chewed up an Italian mastiff and ate the contents of 2 commercially prepared rat traps without any problems either. She's tough.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
On Sunday night my son was eating some ribs, he dropped one on the floor, by the time I got out of my seat and grabbed the pup she swallowed the entire thing whole. It was really a matter of 4 seconds and it was gone.

I didn't give the rib to my son so I really didn't know how big it was. I just watched her to make sure she seemed ok, IE eating, pooping, no pains.

Well last night she was having the squirts. I woke up this morning to the most god awful smell in her crate. It was covered in poo.

After cleaning it out I found a 2" rip bone she passed it. I was amazed and horrified at the same time by the size of the bone.

Thank god she passed it, with that is there anything I need to worry about, poo was a brown color so I don't think she had any bleeding.
Yes, she may ask for seconds.:)

·
Registered
283 Posts

It was dangling.

It could be worse!

stan b
Same thing happened at my house last week with a pair of my wife's nylon socks. My 5 mos old Chessie didn't miss a beat and thankfully had more "success" finishing the endeavor without my assistance than yours!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Ditto for me when my BLF ate a paper towel that I had used to clean bacon grease out of a pan and tossed in our garbage. Forgot to close the door and she had it down in a matter of seconds. Didn't have any trouble passing though, guess the grease helped.:D

·
Registered
24 Posts
Here is good one for you.... our chocolate male "Krush" loves the wife & daughters thong underwear.... lol... on serious note we must watch him constantly, we've been lucky he's been able to digest them. Lady's keep them thongs where Krush can't get to them!

·
Registered
16,825 Posts
Here is good one for you.... our chocolate male "Krush" loves the wife & daughters thong underwear.... lol... on serious note we must watch him constantly, we've been lucky he's been able to digest them. Lady's keep them thongs where Krush can't get to them!
Did you train "Krush" yourself???:cool:

RK

·
Registered
278 Posts
My lab had ate a bone that did splinter and caused bleeding but thank god it passed, if the bone was still in tact with no ruff edges and stool is free from blood you should be fine. he also ate one of the Scott industrial paper towels that had wire pulling lube all over it and it did not make him sick, and that towel came out in a day.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts