RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Female Yellow lab and I have training her on basic obedience and retrieving. Her obedience is ok. She knows what sit, stay, down, kennel, and heel means. She does all of these pretty good but they are not snappy/instant responses. So far I have read Water Dog watched fowl dogs vol. 1 and I'm currently watching Evan Graham's Smartwork Basic Series. Should i do the Obedience dvd first? When she sits she's not sitting on her butt with her feet under her she sits like on her hip with her feet out to the side how would I correct this? Would anyone recommend Force Fetching and E-Collar? She is doing good with retrieves both land and water. She fetches the first retrieve on land good but after that she kind of hesitates and starts sniffing around. I just got her to start swimming and liking the water about 2-3 weeks ago now she loves it and begs for water retrieves. Any advice or help would be apperecitated.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Now would be the time to Collar Condition (CC) her. As for the crooked sit physically put her in the correct position when you tell her sit so she understands this is the way you want her to sit. After CC then you can and should FF. Some say FF first and other say CC first. I have done it both ways depending on the dog. From what your tell us I would CC first.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I say Ob first, correct that sloppy sit with a healing stick ( as shown on the DVD) then CC, the FF just as Evan shows in his series. His program is VERY sequential, so start where he starts, Ob. After her ob is solid and you feel she knows what expected move to CC, the FF as he outlines. If you skip CC the FF in his program looses it's value as you havent pressure conditioned the pup. As for the sloppy or disinterested retrieves FF will work that out for you.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
The easiest way to correct the sloppy sit is to step on her feet when she has them under her - just enough to make her uncomfortable, which doesn't take much when it comes to a dog's feet. When she draws them away from you and ends up in a proper sit, praise the heck out of her with "good sit" and possibly even a treat or two. She'll get it eventually.

Another tip: when you have actually taught this and you are sure she knows that "sit" does not include the sloppy puppy sit you are describing, when she does that in response to "sit" you can say "no, sit" while you are reaching for her foot with yours. This will enforce the fact that "sit" means straight up with both back feet squarely under you.

Hope this helps. It did wonders for mine in about 4 days.

·
Registered
225 Posts
She's only 6 1/2 months old....let her be a puppy. If you can keep training her without FF or CC then I say do it, sounds like you're doing pretty good.
Just be patient and keep up the good work.
Nice to hear someone who's trying to train their pup using the natural way for a change, refreshing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts