RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 8 month lab, I recently joined a hunting retriever club and we have a training day once a month. She started to run with enthusiasm out to retriever the ducks but she hesitates to bring them back an when she does she either nibbles on it a little bit or drags it by the head on the way in, any recommendations on correcting this. Does anyone recommend sending her off to ff? I would rather do it myself to get experience even though I am a newbie at the hunting retriever training. Also when me and my pup around other dogs such as th club training day she does not respond well to commands such as here.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
If you have a pro near you that does FF by classes or private lesson instruction, then you could work in it yourself , but if there isnt one close that is willing to do that.(many of us just "take" dogs in). But FF is definitely what your girl needs.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Formalizing here will help clean up the return side of the retrieve, I have used Smartworks for my yard work and I like Evans way of formalizing the here command.
whether you FF yourself or higher it out,some reading material will help you understand the procces you are about to embark on for a fully trained retriever,good luck and enjoy.

·
Registered
285 Posts
If this is the first time your dog has seen a duck, I don't think it is necessary to rush to the training table over this issue alone. Think about it this way. Have you ever had to move a large box? You know you can do it, it is within your physical abilities, but you need to take a moment to figure out how you're going to wrap your arms around it. If the dog is otherwise retrieving, I would suspect that more experience and practice with birds would go a long way towards improving the dog's form on retrieving ducks.

Deciding to FF the dog because she doesn't bring back her first duck is like deciding to FF the dog because she didn't bring back the crumpled piece of paper during her puppy evaluation.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
I have a 8 month lab, I recently joined a hunting retriever club and we have a training day once a month. She started to run with enthusiasm out to retriever the ducks but she hesitates to bring them back an when she does she either nibbles on it a little bit or drags it by the head on the way in, any recommendations on correcting this. Does anyone recommend sending her off to ff? I would rather do it myself to get experience even though I am a newbie at the hunting retriever training. Also when me and my pup around other dogs such as th club training day she does not respond well to commands such as here.
I this your first dog? Besides OB being the most important part of dog traing, FF comes second. If it was me, I would rather have someone help. You can underdo FF and at the same time overdo. I am a Lardite and Evan has a excellent program, but you have to understand the differences between the programs with respect to FF. IMHO....I would get help on the first time around. Just advice...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank ya'll for the advcices. There is a pro near by and I talked to him and he said to come by and he will work with me, so I will be going over there this weekend and see how they work with dogs and everything. This was her second time acutally retrieveing a duck so yea it's all fairly new to her. Yes she is my first dog. I will talk to a pro this weekend and then i will let ya'll know what he told me. How often do ya'll reccomend working with my dog such as training? I work with her at least 3-4 days sometimes but it's usaly dark when i get a chance to work with her during the week due to my schedule. Days that it is dark I usually do a little obedience training in the house. It's just when she gets around other dogs she dont respond well to my commands.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Brian, is that you. If so what pro are you going to see. You can PM me if you want. Your dog will do just find but all young dogs have issue listening when other dogs are around. I am the Karen from this weekend with Pontchartrain HRC if that is the club you are talking about.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I agree with ReaganW- get some birds and toss them up in the air for him and play with them.. Let him know it's ok to chase and pick these things up. Once he's correctly picking them up then proceed forward. As for the coming in to you I would practice that with a long lead and another dog. Let him move away towards the other dog and when you call him if he doesn't come immediately give him a little tug. That as he doesn't learn to ignore your commands

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Karen his name is Ron Novak new bill had referred me to him. Yes that's the club I'm talking about. I didn't know any of you were on here that's good to know. I enjoyed all the training days that I been to do at learn something new everyday. She's getting better each time we go out there. Dave gave me his number n told me to call him if I ever want to go out there and train. She needs more experience in the field because she's not use to the cover and everything. She loves the water though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts