RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
White sands missle range, here I come the end of November.
I've tried for so many years, its pathetic, but, I finally drew a once in a lifetime, trophy oryx tag !
I am besides myself. My wife is going to go with me !
Just thought i'd share this with you all.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Congratulations! One fun hunt! Hope you get a great one!

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
Is it the Oryx that can only be hunted the rest of this year and then no more? I heard something but can't remember what animal it is. Good luck on your hunt!

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Did you get a once-in-a-lifetime tag or an off base tag? or Broken Horn?

I've shot two here in NM, one as an of-base tag. They are great eating! Remind me to show you my European mount. She had such weird horns (no way a trophy) that I had her mounted.

November's a good time. Which range?

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's on base, a once in a lifetime trophy hunt, in Rhodes canyon.
I don't think there will be no more oryx hunting. Haven't heard anything on it stopping.
I'm going to use a custom 280ai, with 140 grain, Barnes ttsx's.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Congratulations you should have a great hunt. My first tag was a depredation hunt. I dropped a nice 38"er. When you do your hunter orientation class Don't believe em when they tell you Oryx don't go to water every day. Mine was coming from a water tank first thing in the morning in a herd of about 20. First hunt lasted all of 30 min. Buddy up with the Military warden if and when you see him driving around they know where the animals are. When on my second hunt which was a once in a lifetime one, the warden we met took us right to a 32" er. BTW some of the best tasting meat I've ever eaten. Bring a couple of big coolers and plenty of ice. Good luck

·
Registered
5,636 Posts

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That only pertains to fenced exotics on ranches. New Mexico oryx run wild on white sands missle range. The try to hunt them to keep em from expanding off range. It's not working too well.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I do not think that WSMR has any scimitar-horned oryx on the base any more. I believe what you are actually hunting on WSMR is a African Gemsbok which is a type of oryx.

I'd imagine that the population of the scimitar-horned oryx is about to take a big drop in the years to come.

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
That only pertains to fenced exotics on ranches. New Mexico oryx run wild on white sands missle range. The try to hunt them to keep em from expanding off range. It's not working too well.

Yeah, that is why I posted it up. I was wrong. lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts