RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi There,

We started formalizing OB via Evan Graham's method in Volume 1.

Question 1:

I got thru the first step where my pup eventually didn't want to leave my side we hit this rather quickly like level 2. At level 3 her return slowed right down.

So I started using the pole as restraint until I command "Here".

I'm concerned I'm not doing this right because we have taught her not to pull when on a lease or check cord. So she'll try to get to me but as soon as she feels tension she sits.

She won't fight to get to me, but when I command "Here" and apply pressure she charges full force straight to me. She's just not bouncing waiting for me to call, she is sitting watching tho. Is this an acceptable response I'm concerned this won't build the complusion to come charging when "Here" is commanded.

Question 2:

Time is very limited for me during the week. I'm wondering if I can do the OB formalization more specificly "Here" formalization in short 8 - 15 min sessions depending on weather.

Then kennel her for 20 mins or so. Then bring her back out for some puppy marks.

I do OB on a football field on one end of the property and do marks in the farm area on the other end of the property. We would be getting in the car and driving to the other side of the property.

I don't have a safe place run her near home. So I need to drive to my training ground to do the "Here" formalization. Heel and Sit I can do in my yard. So that's not an issue.

Is this to much for one night?

· Registered
5,248 Posts
LuvMyLab said:
Hi There,

We started formalizing OB via Evan Graham's method in Volume 1.

Question 1:

I got thru the first step where my pup eventually didn't want to leave my side we hit this rather quickly like level 2. At level 3 her return slowed right down.

So I started using the pole as restraint until I command "Here".

I'm concerned I'm not doing this right because we have taught her not to pull when on a lease or check cord. So she'll try to get to me but as soon as she feels tension she sits.

She won't fight to get to me, but when I command "Here" and apply pressure she charges full force straight to me. She's just not bouncing waiting for me to call, she is sitting watching tho. Is this an acceptable response I'm concerned this won't build the complusion to come charging when "Here" is commanded.
If you're happy, I'm happy. The truth is, however, that I think you're mixing issues. If your dog becomes so eager to come to you that she strains against the rope, it does not mean she won't walk at heel on a leash anymore. In fact, it's more likely she will. I really think you would benefit from the Smartwork Obedience DVD, on which is a full uncut session of CC-to-"Here" that would show you how the session should go. I don't mean to go to commercial here, but it doesn't sound like you're visualizing the process.
LuvMyLab said:
Question 2:

Time is very limited for me during the week. I'm wondering if I can do the OB formalization more specificly "Here" formalization in short 8 - 15 min sessions depending on weather.

Then kennel her for 20 mins or so. Then bring her back out for some puppy marks.

Is this to much for one night?
No, it isn't. That's a very good approach. Get in some type of marking each day, if you can.

Evan

· Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have one coming :) Should be here tomorrow sometime.

I think my explanation is confusing LOL! I'm not concerned with her pulling on the rope.

I think she says "Oh I not allowed to pull, So I'll sit here and wait until I'm called."

· Registered
5,248 Posts
LuvMyLab said:
I have one coming :) Should be here tomorrow sometime.

I think my explanation is confusing LOL! I'm not concerned with her pulling on the rope.

I think she says "Oh I not allowed to pull, So I'll sit here and wait until I'm called."
Got it!

But when you start getting the message across to her, and she begins to truly understand that coming to you relieves the pressure, she'll start straining at that rope to come, no matter what's happened previously. Watch the dog on the DVD. That was the first session ever for both dog & trainer. Both excellent students!

Evan

· Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
UPS just dropped off the OB DVD :) Gonna be a fun night...no work and all dog stuff :)

Here's my nights schedule.

1) We are going to do some marking drills
2) Eat diner & watch DVD
3) Watch DVD again HAHAHA!
4) Finish off my first home made manual winger and try it in the back yard.

You'd think it was Friday or something :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.