Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes but I stayed home

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if any of our RTF extended family had to fly today, and how bad was it?
Terrorists suck! Can't arrest enough of um I say.
Ken Bora

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
I am standing at baggage claim now awaiting my little carry-on in new Orleans.

In order to keep my lucky shaving cream, my toothpaste and all the other stuff in my shaving kit, I checked it.

Got to my destination several hours late. No telling when the bags will roll off.

Thanks to our commander-in-chief and Mr. Blair for their steadfast commitment to fighting terrorism and a constant focus on terrorist counter-intelligence!

Today could have been tragic for all of us, had the British teams not done their tasks so well.

Regardless of one's position on troops in Iraq, surely we can all agree that the learnings since 911 have helped save many lives and really ruin some terrorists' plans!

Proud to be an American!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Chris Atkinson said:
I am standing at baggage claim now awaiting my little carry-on in new Orleans.

In order to keep my lucky shaving cream, my toothpaste and all the other stuff in my shaving kit, I checked it.

Got to my destination several hours late. No telling when the bags will roll off.

Thanks to our commander-in-chief and Mr. Blair for their steadfast commitment to fighting terrorism and a constant focus on terrorist counter-intelligence!

Today could have been tragic for all of us, had the British teams not done their tasks so well.

Regardless of one's position on troops in Iraq, surely we can all agree that the learnings since 911 have helped save many lives and really ruin some terrorists' plans!

Proud to be an American!
Chris,
Thanks for being a patriot. Servicemembers need to hear about it. Lots of folks are making a life in national defense. They're earning their pay each day.

You are spot-on about the British teams doing their job. The only issue is to wonderr how many incidents have been thwarted and NOT brought into the media's newscycle. There are many reasons they haven't, and you can speculate the reasons. Makes one wonder why THIS incident went into the public's eye.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
7,767 Posts
The complacent public needs to be reminded that a 9/11 CAN happen again, intelligence IS needed, and a pro-active stance is necessary.

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
I woke up hearing that news yesterday at 4 a.m. glad that the plot had been exposed. Thank heavens for the agents who have imbedded themselves with in these groups. Yes, it will be a little more inconvenient to fly. We take so much of our safety and freedom for granted. Thank you to all the brave men and women in the military or in security who are making our life possible.

Dave's boss told him yesterday afternoon that he has been chosen to participate in a focus group on performance practices in Chicago next month....you guessed it - they are flying everybody in on September 11. While we will be a bit uneasy with him in the sky on that day of rememberance, we are also reminded that life continues and the terrorists only win if we let them by running and hiding.

·
Registered
12,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Chris Atkinson said:
I am standing at baggage claim now awaiting my little carry-on in new Orleans. In order to keep my lucky shaving cream, my toothpaste and all the other stuff in my shaving kit, I checked it.
How can shaving cream be lucky? :roll: I do hope you and everyone travel safely, and while inconvenienced have patience and understanding. I bet the terrorists don't have lucky shaving cream, or hair gel. On a lighter note, did any of you happen to watch Rescue Me Tuesday night? The exchange between the main character and a Muslim cab driver was very funny. It was about the Muslim reward of 72 virgins in the afterlife. Tommy Gavin would rather have 72 whores because they would "know more and can to tricks". Interesting point of view, if you think about it makes sense.
Ken Bora

·
Registered
125 Posts
Chris hope you packed light clothes b/c August aint no joke here. Welcome to the HEAT!!! Enjoy you stay :wink:

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Yup .... out of O'Hare. I was trying to get out about mid-day yesterday! Let's just say "it weren't purty!"

But I'm not complaining, just checked my bag instead of taking it into the cabin. I heard very few people complaining, I think most were more than happy to comply with the increased security.

Finally made it home about 1:00 am this morning .... all I can say is "I'm tired!!!"

Sue

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
fly

My story is a bit different:
Out of Saint Louis on Friday AM- no problems, into Regan at 11 AM and there was no one in the security line and I mean not a body. Out of Regan at 4PM and maybe 15 people in line. It took 5 minutes for security.

Some that work with me had trouble yesterday.
Dave Kress

·
Registered
106 Posts
The reason that this story made it to the public was probably one of two reasons, or both (according to a former Marine friend of mine):

1. The public needs to be reminded that authorities are still making a full effort to thwart and fight terrorism. Not only does this give hope and a feeling of security to us, but it also lets the terrorists know that we still have our eye on them and we won't stop until they're all gone.

2. When a true threat comes up that has to do with airlines, the public absolutely has to know about it. People don't need to know that a terrorist plans to smuggle a nuke into the country and detonate it in a major city, for example. New York would probably be in anarchy, and nobody needs that. But people need to know why they are being delayed at the airport, and as was said earlier, in situations like this, most people don't mind complying with the extra security when a real threat comes around.

Personally, I don't want to know about every threat that we get. I would rather let the authorities do their job, and let me know that they're still trying sometimes.

Just my thoughts...

-Shupe

1 - 12 of 12 Posts