RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although I don't have a retrieving breed I figured with all the knowledgeable people on this board I could get some help.

I have taken my young Pudelpointer through FF, walking fetch, stick fetch, collar fetch, fetch no fetch, force to pile, and have been running single marks and we are working on stopping in route to the pile now. We are also working on independent duck searches. He delivers to hand and has not had a drop in months, no bad habits, etc. I need to start casting here at some point and am wondering what direction I should be going in? I have heard talk of mini T and T but I know casting has to be taught before I can start any of that. So I guess I am asking what is the easiest way to get my boy casting and what will follow ? I have Lardy's material in VHS form unfortunately don't own a VCR anymore it went out with BETA;) What material would you suggest?

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Although I don't have a retrieving breed I figured with all the knowledgeable people on this board I could get some help.

I have taken my young Pudelpointer through FF, walking fetch, stick fetch, collar fetch, fetch no fetch, force to pile, and have been running single marks and we are working on stopping in route to the pile now. We are also working on independent duck searches. He delivers to hand and has not had a drop in months, no bad habits, etc. I need to start casting here at some point and am wondering what direction I should be going in? I have heard talk of mini T and T but I know casting has to be taught before I can start any of that. So I guess I am asking what is the easiest way to get my boy casting and what will follow ? I have Lardy's material in VHS form unfortunately don't own a VCR anymore it went out with BETA;) What material would you suggest?

They do sell VHS to DVD recorders or find someone who has one or you can take it in to a computer place and have it done for you. Those Pudelpointers do have heart.:cool:

Edit to post: If you decide to take them to a computer shop, be sure to tell them that you will keep the tapes and not sell them.

Cheers

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks I will google three handed casting and check into getting something done with those VHS tapes.

I thought of some more questions. I have been lining him to a pile with a fence on one side of us out to 100-150 yards should I continue out farther? The fence line is probably 300 yards long. Also should I start three handed casting in a different area ? I have been lining him to a pile in an open field where I will eventually use this exact spot to be my back pile in my T work, should I use this same spot to start my three handed casting?

·
Registered
376 Posts
Just as a thought I was at a resale shop recently and they were selling a TV/VCR combo. I almost picked it up for the same reason.

·
Registered
377 Posts
If you have a friend who has a VHS deck, you can get an adapter that converts the audio/video signal from the VHS deck to a digital signal, which it sends to your computer via USB. If you google "vhs to usb adapter" you will see some as low as $7.00 plus shipping. You would then use software to record it (either software that comes with the device, or you can download free video capture software from the internet), and save it to your hard drive. If you don't have a lot of room on your hard drive, you could then use Live Movie Maker to burn it to DVD.

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
Are you planning on also doing pointing with him? You might need to adapt the training, and the whistle sit if you do. If I recall most pointer people do not teach the dog to sit on a whistle, but rather to stand, as they are concerned with the stanch point. It would be pretty interesting to train for both but I do not think there's an actual program for it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Are you planning on also doing pointing with him? You might need to adapt the training, and the whistle sit if you do. If I recall most pointer people do not teach the dog to sit on a whistle, but rather to stand, as they are concerned with the stanch point. It would be pretty interesting to train for both but I do not think there's an actual program for it.

I have taught him to sit but only use it at the blind, canoe or to anchor him somewhere. I use WOAH for his work involving birds and when I want him to stop and look to me for casting, etc. I don't feel it has anything to do with staunchness on point, as a matter of fact I have seen him point very intensely and as the bird flies off he has sat down. I am not a field trialer so this behavior doesn't bother me.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Are you familiar with NAVHDA ? Bodo Winterhelt was a founder and also the reason you have a Pudelpointer. I was a member back in the early '70s. Get with a local chapter and they can help you with a balanced program and approach.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes I am very familiar with NAVHDA ( member of 2 chapters ) I also have friends who were very close with Bodo and have learned all I know about versatile hunting dogs from a handful of them. I am looking to learn more about the high levels of retriever training, 99% of people in the 2 NAVHDA groups couldn't tell you what or how to do pile work, force to the pile, T work etc.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
I would try to touch base with Pudelpointer who posts on here. He is involved with NAVHDA and is a former retriever field trialer. His dog Gusto is very nice and a credit to his training ability. He should be able to advise you as he is a skillfull trainer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts